1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Pat Bev arrested for misdemeanor, missed practice

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by s3ts, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Another possibility, but I am pretty sure the legislature made changes in 2013 that allowed toll authorities to petition the court if they can't collect. Then they aren't technically being arrested for not paying tolls, they're arrested for not appearing before the court.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The Tory wants to tell you what to do. How very Tory of him. Sorry, Roxxfan, we've been dealing with Tories since 1776.

3. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

yea apparently... note to self

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Woowwwww....I remember why I stopped posting in the GARM.

1 person likes this.
  5. don grahamleone

[​IMG]

6. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

This thread is out of control.

You can't be arrested for using a toll road without an ez tag.

You CAN, however, be arrested for not paying fines owed to the government, this typically happens when you are pulled over for something, and the cop checks your file.

To all the morons claiming it's about challenging the law. There is a correct way to challenge the existing laws of the United States, and it's not by driving on a toll road with no tags. Not only will you get nothing done, but anyone with half a college education will laugh at you until their lungs give out.

7. don grahamleone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement_under_United_States_law

The Constitution rocks!

(Although interpretations of it have gone back and forth, completely weakening my argument, thus making me willing to see the other side's points. In other words, I recognize that Pat broke the law, but I recognize that the law always changes. Especially when it's ethically wrong within our borders and controls. The anti-toll fight is a losing battle in corporate America, I'm not actually fighting it. I just like outlaws.)

#107 don grahamleone, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

ABC: There were several citations issued, most of which were paid but one of them was not and that is what led to Beverley being handcuffed today.

Beverley has an EZ tag but his account expired. Back in February, Beverley went through an EZ tag lane. He soon got a violation in the mail which he didn't pay within 10 days and didn't show up to court as summoned. Fast forward to today 9 months later, he was pulled over and his warrant popped up. Beverley owed $321 and was taken into custody until he paid the fine.

According to the HCTRA, 30,000 cars are prohibited on the toll road every year. In the past year, 20% have been issued citations. When you talk about arrests, only 21 of them, less than 1%, are ever arrested.

9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Okay, so it's an expired account. Bev probably forgot to pay the one citation. Arresting him for that one is a bit extreme, but I can semi understand the HCTRA's position considering he had multiple citations. Bev isn't intentionally violating the toll roads, and I don't think he's a risk for future legal trouble. Sounds like a misunderstanding and hopefully the HCTRA can wipe this off his record once the fine is paid.

10. don grahamleone

This is the equivalent of someone having an overdue library book and not knowing it. This makes the petty arguments that much better.

[​IMG]

11. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

lol @ last comment

12. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

lol. He didn't pay a ticket. Oops.

Seriously, this is about the smallest thing imaginable.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

‏@BenDuBose
    Beverley says he forgot to change his credit card on EZTag account and they were charging his old one, leading to the warrant.

Pat Beverley: "I should be the spokesman for EZTag now."

14. don grahamleone

Bev should take this more seriously. He owes the public people of Houston an apology for breaking a private business's rules.

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

HCTRA is part of the city government's infrastructure it isn't a private business. Why do you think they have access to the actual police force?
    Anyway, I feel the amount owed if correct is silly to be arrested for. Regardless -- he still should have paid it prior to this.

16. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

That's excessive. It's like driving single in the HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lane during rush hour. They pull you over and charge $50 for the ticket and $50 for court costs (standard no matter what). $100 But they have no right to arrest and detain. So WTF?

17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I think you owe the tax payers of this country for the money they supported for your education.

18. don grahamleone

You're actually right here, I'm applying Austin toll road stuff to Houston. We're all private over here. My understanding is that our tolls are Spanish owned or maybe it's mostly owned by the Spaniards. Sounds like Houston toll roads are public. Do you happen to know if the tolls go away or decrease once the initial bill is paid? Because that bothers me when a government over-taxes for profit. That's an easy place to find corruption within public offices.

19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Get over yourself.

1 person likes this.
  20. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Nah brah, I'm fine. Pat is the one that got arrested.

1 person likes this.