1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Passing this along: Steve and his shoulder rehab

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lynus302, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

Lynus,
    Is that the Healthsouth in the Methodist Hospital towers? I remember going there 5 years ago for an ACL rehab and all the Rockets were going there as well. I was rehabbing with Brent Price and E-mail Davis all the time, and from time to time I saw Clyde, Kevin Willis, and Randy Livinston. The PTs were very good. At that time they were complaining about sir Charles skipping therapy sessions.

If Steve is doing his exercises with Keith, then he's going to get reinjured, I guarantee it. Keith is the worse trainer in the league, despite the fact that all the players love him. Ever since he became a trainer the Rockets have had tons of injuries. I wonder how Les is putting up with all this. He spends millions of dollars on players and doesn't spend an extra 100-200K on getting this mess in order. He needs more well-qualified people with discipline and scientific approach to training and injury-prevention. If Steve doesn't like going to rehab, hire him a personal therapist to be all over him. It will cost you $60K a year, but will protect your $100 mil investment. I know it is like dealing with a child, but that's how the top NBA talent is these days, childish...

On a related note, I live in Seattle now, and I am going to therapy for PFS, together with Vladimir Stepania. He's a funny guy.

2. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

Rehab does suck for about a week it costs like 1000 dollars. You could do all of the exercises at a gym. Hey I guess thats what made me decide to get a sports medicine degree/physical therapy certification. I cant wait to get out of college ;) .

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

a yo Davey....Collier F***ing Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. haven

haven Member

Francis carried the team last year? Really? Are you sure? Because I seem to remember the Rockets losing regardless of his presence in the line-up. They were simply even worse without him. From terrible to merely pathetic...

In all honesty... perhaps Steve will be fine without therapy. But I can't help but think that the odds of his improvement would be better with it, than without.

No matter which way you cut it, he should be there... as a precaution if nothing else. Why do some people have so much trouble admitting that Francis is irresponsible? Nobody's asking you to say he's evil, a bad player, or a detriment to his team. But when he cuts doctor-recommended therapy... that's not good. Especially coming after a season where he was constantly out with injury.

5. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I think you just answered your own question, they were worse without him - they almost played .500 ball with him in the lineup I recall.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

while it sucks that he chooses to ignore the therapy, he has obviously been cleared by the rockets to atleast shootaround. since keith has been quoted as saying steve is progressing fine, it's no biggie. like rocketsauce said, if this were an actual problem, anthony falsone would haul his ass to the hospital.

7. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

We have had many injuries but it is in no way Keith's fault. We are dealing with grown men here. Not highschoolers or even collegians. These guys make their own decisions. Keith is only for advice and handling technical duties. He can in no way insure the health of a team without the help of the players. The players are 99% responsible for their injuries. I read somewhere that something like 80% of injuries occure because proper stretching has not taken place. Injuries occur when a player is not fit to be doing whatever task they are about to take on. Just look at Karl Malone and John Stockton. Two guys who have been in the league since the dinosaures ruled the earth and have never had a serious injury. That is because they are serious about staying fit and about being in game shape all the time. I will admit some injuries are freak injuries but most can be avoided.

8. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

No....I go to TIRR Rehabilitation Center in Scurlock Tower in the Medical Center. Russ Payne is my therapist.

Yes, rehab is a pain to go to, and yes, it is expensive (thank god for insurance), and ues, you can do all of the exercises at a gym. Hell, I can do 95% of my exercises on a yoga ball on my living room floor. What therapy DOES provide me is a trained professional who tells me exactly what to do, exactly how to do it, and exactly how often to do it to ensure that I get maximum benefit and maximum rehabilitation. I'd be lost without this guy because 1) I'm not a physical therapist, 2) I don't have a gym membership, and 3) If I tried strengthening my back on my own and I very likely would have made it worse than it already is.

To anyone/everyone else:
    TIRR is top-notch. I heard about Yao Ming's feet long before anyone mentioned it here as my PT either knows or works with the doctor the Rockets sent to China to give Yao his full physical....and this was when the doctor was still in China. I didn't bother saying anything about it then because....well, I don't know why. I just didn't want to report something and have it turn out to be false. That and I'd just rather leave insider reporting to the rest of you.

Now: Yes the Rockets have team doctors and trainers, but if they were so great, then why would they bother getting a prescription for physical therapy in the first place? Seriously, if Keith Jones was good enough, then why would they bother paying the money and spending the time for therapy appointments?? If Keith Jones was good enough to monitor and prescribe rehab, there simply would be no need to make physical therapy appointments for their players. The answer to me is simple: We've got some unbelievably bad-ass people in the medical profession here in Houston, and a team trainer can't be expected to handle everything.

In all probability, Steve will be fine (I hope so, at least). It was not my intention to paint him as irresponsible and/or selfish. I'm sure Keith is watching him as closely as possible, but there is only so much a team trainer can do. I had first-hand information from Steve's PTs, and that information does worry me. They said under no circumstances should Steve be shooting the ball right now, and I'd take their word over Keith's quotes in the Chronicle any day.

All that aside, good luck Steve. I hope you know what you are doing.

9. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

Alright, has anyone checked the Healthsouth in the Methodist Hospital Towers. Maybe Steve has been going to the wrong rehab. Maybe he just prefers going where Brent went. :D ;) :p

10. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Lynus-

Russ Payne was my therapist a year ago when I had my shoulder checked out by Lowe. Pretty solid guy, doesn't make a big deal outta the fact that he is the trainer for god knows how many athletes (I like the signs in the Scurlock gym that ask you not to bug the other patients). And as you can attest, there are a bunch of them showing up there.

Cool thing..after we were done and he got me on a workout program, he gave me his cell phone number in case I had a setback.

Shoulder hasn't hurt in a long time. It had hurt for 5 years. He does good work.

Good luck with the rehab. It sucks but its worth it.

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

No one ever said Francis wasn't our best player. However, there is a very little chance that he will ever be a winner, if he continues to do whatever the hell he wants to do. That is what people mean by him being selfish. Yet, the only thing people can say to that is, "he doesn't shoot the ball enough!" or some lame crap that has nothing to do with the fact that Francis feels like he can do what he wants to when he wants to.

Until he grows up, we will not win. Furthermore, I'd be very wary of giving him a max contract, because of the fact that he is so immature.

12. dave feitl

dave feitl Member

A TRAIN I will take this time to tell you that I may bash Steve but I also worship the way he plays. I think he has the potential to be an all around point guard, but is it me or does any else here notice that he can make selfish decisions on the court at the wrong times?
    EX. DRIBBLING A MILLION TIMES TO TRY TO GET THROUGH 2 DEFENDERS ABOVE THE ARC?
    I realize that he is great and being double teamed, but great players know how to deal with it, or not get trapped with the ball in the first place.

I also think he's made selfish decisions off the court.
    EX. STATING THINGS PUBLICLY THAT COULD POSSIBLY DIVIDE THE TEAM (Ming remarks) & the obvious draft dodging situation.

I think Francis is awesome.
    I see Steve as our leader.
    I trust in almost every aspect of his game.
    MY RESPONSE WAS ANGER OVER THE THOUGHT THAT HE COULD BE DOING THINGS THAT ARE NOT TOO HIS BENEFIT (driving on pain killers, neglecting his injuries)AND TO THE BENEFIT OF HIS TEAM (prolonging rehab?)

MY GOD WE'RE FIXING TO GIVE THIS KID THE FARM
    should I not be concerned about these things?

I want Steve to truly be the FRANCHISE because he earns it everynight, not because his name is similar.I want him to be the future of the rockets, but often I have reservations about him.
    EITHER WAY I"M A ROCKET FAN-SO THIS FIND ANOTHER TEAM CRAP CAN GO STRAIGHT TO HELL--FRANCIS CAN BE A PUNK ASS ALL HE WANTS IF WE WIN, but if he can't get us the W's, then he and anyone else can get lost for all I'm concerned.

I RESPECT STEVE'S PASSION, HOPEFULLY YOU CAN RESPECT MINE