1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Passenger shot and killed by Air Marshall in Miami

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NJRocket, Dec 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

How could the air marshall tell that though?

2. Dark Rhino

Dark Rhino Contributing Member

I believe most law enforcement agencies train their officers that to draw a firearm is to be prepared to use nothing less then deadly force; otherwise the individual and their agency are vulnerable to all sorts of legal liabilities. None lethal force involving a firearm tends to be the stuff of Hollywood.

The loss of life is regrettable, but I agree that the air marshal acted correctly.

3. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Marshall did what was needed at the time.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't seen any more details but if a person is in an airplane with an air marshall and he shouts that he has a bomb in his bag, then I can't really fault the air marshall for shooting him.

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

What I find most disturbing, is that when the man initially got on the plane he must have cleared some sort of security. Why didn't the security realize if he had a bomb in his bag or not, even prior to him getting on the plane?

Incompetents!

6. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Have things gotten so bad in this country that you can't yell that you have a bomb on a plane without getting shot???

Incidently, he had a copy of the movie, "Aeon Flux" in his jacket pocket.

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

My best friend, who is a federal agent, actually called and told me about all this after it happened. Shortly after 911, he actually put in for a transfer to become an Air Marshal, but dropped out of consideration due to the extensive training he would have to go through.

Anyway, he said this specific situation would no doubt be a "shoot to kill" situation because shooting to wound doesn't prevent whoever it may be from detonating the bomb if that is their true intention. He didn't know the details, but he wouldn't even be suprised if it was a head shot, since thats the safest bet to stop any more body movement by the suspect.

8. codell

If someone is creative enough, ahead of the game, then it can be done. Thats why Air Marshalls are on planes as a last line of defense.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

You can still detonate a bomb when only your kneecaps are hit.

Aim large.......and hit large....

However, what every happened to Tasering someone?

DD

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'd rather discuss this than some loony having a real bomb and detonating it.

Lesson: If you're flying with a crazy Arab looking relative, then sedate him.

11. boomer83

boomer83 Contributing Member

you sir, are a racist

12. Major

Major Member

FWIW, they actually didn't shoot to kill.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/07/airplane.gunshot/index.html

When Alpizar appeared to reach into his backpack, he was shot and wounded, the official said, adding that the marshals' actions were consistent with their training. Officials said later that the man died of his injuries.

Here's a summary of what appears to have happened:

A passenger, Mary Gardner, told WTVJ in Miami that the man ran frantically down the aisle from the rear of the plane, arms flailing, and that the woman accompanying him said that her husband was bipolar and had not taken his medication, according to The Associated Press.

After he got off the plane in Miami and went through customs, he got on the Orlando-bound plane and said he had a bomb, Air Marshal Service spokesman Dave Adams said. (Read about air marshals being taught to avoid risk)

Air marshals asked him to get off the plane, which he did, but when they asked him to put his bag down, he refused, Adams said. Alpizar then approached the marshals in an aggressive manner, at which point two or three shots were fired, he said.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Good question...I am wondering about this as well. I guess it is not as "fool-proof" as shooting to kill? This is a sad news report, but I think the marshall did what he had to do in this situation.

14. codell

How do you know?

15. Invisible Fan

Yeah, my bigoted remark killed that man.

16. boomer83

no, that remark just shows that your racist

17. Invisible Fan

I don't want to, but I can write more offensive stuff if it makes you feel better.

...But the guy is still dead, and Americans are still scared ****less about foreign terrorism.

18. boomer83

hey its not harming me, your just giving me more proof that your a racist, you should watch what you put in writing

19. Major

Major Member

I guess they could have shot to kill but missed. The article states that the guy was wounded and later died of the injures.

20. Major

Major Member

Too bad the guy was hispanic.