1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Parsons' ISO and Delfino's dribble drive???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by howo13579, Mar 28, 2013.

1. howo13579

howo13579 Member

I don't have the stats to back it up but it seems Parsons and Delfino have very long leash handling the ball and McHale's tolerance of making straight out unforced turnovers. Parsons is awesome cutting in lane for a layup after Harden or Lin's pass. But whenever he's on top of the key and trying to penetrate and create, majority of times lead to turnovers. Delfino's even worse. While he had a couple of between the legs, he cannot pas, shoot, layup off dribble. Delfino playing PG is disaster waiting to happen. Actually I don't mind democracy ball in fast paced offense. But everytime clearly in half court offense whenever Parsons or Delfino started dribble on top of key, I just knew we were going to brick or turnover. What do you guys think? Do you see what I'm seeing?

1 person likes this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

These things are what make Parsons and Delfino (especially together in the "small ball" lineup) so effective. They need to keep doing it.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don't mind Parsons expanding his game this year. We'll make the playoffs but I want Parsons to get better as a playmaker more than I care about what seed we're in.

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

McHale has done a solid job this year but we need a little bit more creativity (despite being the highest scoring team in the league) Last night was painful because everyone watching the game knew the Harden/Smith Pick and Roll was coming. Not a bad play, but Indy had seen it so many times they began to figure it out. Not to mention they are good defensively.

I would have liked to see the ball go to Thomas Robinson. He was doing a nice job scoring and getting to the rim last night.

5. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

God the way they drive is so ugly at times. I would cut both of them.

6. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Parsons dribble drive works sometimes.

When Delfino starts thinking he's Kobe and taking leaning fadeaways on top of a defender I get nervous...

7. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

This. I mean if the Rockets don't get style points what good are they?

8. amak316

amak316 Member

Delfino has the lowest Basketball IQ on the team by far, yet McHale, one of the least tolerent coaches in the NBA when it comes to careless play, can't wait to find ways to fit him into the lineup. I don't get it at all.

If Lin took half of the careless shots that Delfino takes in crunch time he'd be the highest paid player in D-League history. Delfino should be camped outside the 3point line and not be allowed to cross it ever.

Parsons is a boss however, im all for anything that helps him develop and get more touches.

9. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

You can't develop Parsons. His athletic ceiling is at Matt Bullard levels.

10. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

this is some r****ded **** right here.

11. Karolik

Karolik Member

Thats the way McHale's offense is run. Any player has the opportunity to run plays. Its done to make the offense less predictable. Delfino does it, and he loves it, as he mentioned in an interview.

12. hustle_town

hustle_town Rookie

Defense is king in the playoffs. Unfortunately, when teams have up to 7 games to figure out how to shut down Harden, this style of offense will be exposed. Someone will have to step up HUGE. It won't be Asik or Smith (underdeveloped offensive games). It wont be Lin, he doesn't see the floor. It won't be Trob/dmo. Delfino can't create his own shot. It'll have to be Parsons trying to avg 30 a series. Not impossible, but improbable.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

My eye test:

1. Every time Delfino dribbles the ball for more than 2 seconds, it's a turnover waiting to happen.

2. Parsons has no business playing ISO ball. He's good driving when he catches the ball and sees an opening to the hoop. But he doesn't have the handle to do ISO-ing when the play stops and he's all alone at the top.

Now, maybe someone can pull up some stats to confirm or debunk my observation.

14. jocar

jocar Member

That's what sucks about our 1 dimensional spread offense. With not much movement and coordination, the dude with the ball has to resort to one on one. It's ISO by default, not by choice.

15. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

I think I know who's the member with a lowest basketball IQ in this forum.

16. amak316

amak316 Member

What player that gets considerable playing time on this team makes worse decisions? He takes ridiculously low percentage runners in crucial situations a lot. Yesterday he killed a comeback rally in the 4th on a shot that prob had below a 10% chance. Why do you think he has a high basketball IQ? Because he's white? Smh

17. yunac010

yunac010 Member

How do you even define bball IQ?

18. hltiki

hltiki Member

You use the Westbrook to Chris Paul scale.

The more an on court occurrence resembles something WB does, then the lower the bball IQ; and conversely, the more the occurrence resembles something CP3 does, the higher the IQ of the player and smarter the play.

19. OpportunityCost

Spot-on and objective post! Delfino should not try to initiate any offense. He can at times be a great spot-up shooter, other times he seems to have vision problems and turns into Del-bricko. Now there are times when Bieber can beat his man off the dribble. But there are also many times when he's trying that and commiting a turnover.

20. OpportunityCost

Exactly.