1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Parking on the Street.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by toby, Apr 15, 2012.

1. toby

toby Member

So, my small city is undergoing parking issues and is having a discussion about parking on the street. Apparently ambulances and Firetrucks can't get down some of the narrow streets. Anyone have any brilliant ideas that avoid banning parking? Current thoughts are one side of the street parking, one way streets, ban parking at night, and get your **** out of the garage and park in it.

I was hoping someone on the board has dealt with this before, or lives in an area that restricts parking and might have a cautionary story to tell. I personally think it's the public street and parking should be allowed at all times . . . I'm just trying to do some research.

Thanks.

2. liljojo

liljojo Member

Announce that you're going to drive a bulldozer through the streets at random intervals. If your car isn't crushed, you're ok to street park.

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

this thread reminds me i have to pay for a ticket for parking in the wrong ****ing direction. doubt they'll put my $40 dollars to good use...like actively patrolling the neighborhood to deter real crimes.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Anyone know how far, from the street entrance of a business, one can park? It's a side street, so cars definitely can park there. I'm thinking it's 20 feet, but can't find it online (not in downtown, if that makes any difference).

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

5. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

6. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I'm hispanic we park on our grass.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I got a ticket once for parking with in 20 feet of a stop sign. I was around 15 feet from it.

8. Toast

Toast Member

Start charging for a street parking pass. That will get rid of lots of the problem. No one wants to pay to park. And those who don't have a pass, you're free to fine or tow or whatever.

9. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

10. Prince

Prince Member

promote public transportation.

11. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

I lived in a neighborhood where the HOA setup rules to prevent people parking in the street. First offense: warning, second offense: $50 fine, third and every offense thereafter: towing.

Honestly, it was one of the things I liked BEST about that neighborhood. I hate driving down a street filled with cars when folks have a driveway AND a garage to park in, but they're just to lazy to 1.) clean out the garage or 2.) back out of the drive when someone needs to leave. Having the streets empty of cars really gave the neighborhood a nice, tidy appearance, besides being safer for traffic and the parked vehicles.

12. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

West U?

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

One way streets with one side of street parking with parking space lines painted.

Or imminent domain, grab x amount of feet from each side of street, widen street, paint in a parking stripe (they did this in my mother's 'hood several years back and the result was a much nicer street that drove property values up. She ended up selling for a nice profit).