1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paris, France and Europe, what to do and see??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SmeggySmeg, Jul 20, 2003.

1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

My trip is now starting to take shape, looks like i may head to Marca or Madrid for a couple days prior to the conference and then head to Santiago for the conference for 4 days, then hook up with my sister in London for Aston Villa v Chelsea, then the following day head off to Paris for 3-4 days and then likely back to London and then onto the States, which at the moment is looking like NY and Houston, somewhere in there i must see some NFL, which will be the weekend of October 4th-5th.

Thanks for all the advice in http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60853

Right now i need suggestions on
    • Barcalona or Madrid???
    • What to do in paris
    • What is nearby Paris that is worth seeing or doing
    • Cheapish places to stay in Paris
    • Somewhere to stay in NY

Help!!!

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Woohoo! The Return of the Smegster to H-Town?

outstanding...time to go catch a Texans game at Reliant?
    I'm definitely up for that..I havent been to Relaint yet.

sorry, cant offer up any advice on your questions..

3. SmeggySmeg

have a funny feeling the Texans have a bye that weekend, and fairly sure seeing i am solo and missing Mrs Smeg b'day that i can't stretch it another weekend, think Dallas are home though, maybe a roadtrip???

4. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Get some buddies together and you can probably get France to surrender to you.

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Sure, I wonder if we can get lynched for booing the Cowgirls in Dallas?
    Cause I sure as hell cant envision cheering for them...:D

are you sure about the bye?

nevermind, I just checked..They play on 9-28 and not again till 10-12.

Damn shame..have you seen that place? It's a monster..

ah, what the hell...we'll find something fun to do..;)

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Barcelona is widely regarded as being a much better stop that Madrid. Personally, after visiting both several times, I prefer to return to Madrid...but...that's more a familiarity issue, and knowing the bartenders better.

also, sorry about being too busy...my friend is in parent's "country house" in Toulouse right now (catching Armstrong), and will be back in Barcelona this week....you can email him then. I know, I haven't made the email introduction, yet. But you are using your Webber, now....that's bigger news!

btw: are you sure you don't want to go to San Sabastian near Santiago... I'm still working on that one.

7. SmeggySmeg

HeyP - san sebastian is also cool just really looking for something to do prior to my conference.

anything is possible, am picking up a euro travel guide tonight as i have no idea right now.

the Weber is going well, although i suspect i will need a re-stoke soonish, going much better and the ribs are actually hot on both sides.

R2K - of course the object of the trip would be to BOOOO the cowgirls!!

8. heypartner

oh, i thought it was all for after....or is Spain prior, and everything else, after?

anyhow,,,if i have my way I'll be in San Sabastian at that time. Otherwise it will be NZ and a little bit of the prison island.

9. heypartner

unless of course, you have a case to make for your familiarity with the bartenders on the big island.

10. SmeggySmeg

i got the impression from HeySchweetie spain was not looking promising?? let me know if you are really serious, i don't think my sister is fussed where catch up,but i do have to catch up with my sister at some stage. btw how long does it take for Schweeties to reply to emails, i reckon i could send something quicker by snail mail :p

the big island is where it is at, do worry i have the bartenders sorted, i have 5 pubs within walking distance of my place, (ie less than 5 minutes walk) and the beach is just as close

11. heypartner

hmmmm.

so, you see my position. SB has always been our agreement for our real honeymoon, but she now has a friend moving to NZ...to go with two others already there.

anyhow....don't listen to me...Everytime I think of Europe, I think Spain is the best...and San Sabastian is paradise. Although I've only viewed it through Elizabeth Taylor's eyes.

12. SmeggySmeg

LOL

will read up on it

come visit us, the renovations will be done by then and if you thought the red wine i gave you was good then you will be blown away, imo we have the best red wine producing areas all within a few hours of my place, plus we have heaps of leave to burn so it will be amazing.

13. SmeggySmeg

btw HeyP, shouldn't you be in bed by now, or is while Schweetie is sleeping your only chance for your BBS fix

14. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

Well to tell you the truth Smeg,I'm not from Paris,only visited it a few times.So the only advise I can give you for now(until I make a few calls) is to visite all the known places:Eiffel tower,Champs Elisées,Versailles etc...
    As for the North of Spain,you should visite the Basque country.Bilbao has a nice museum.San Sebastien is very authentic,but watch out for the bombs! :D If you have time,visite also Barcelona,it's beautiful city and nice ppl.

Let me call up a few friends that live in Paris and I'll get back to you!

ALA

15. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Paris - Hotel Sofitel - chain, it's ok. Hit suburbs. SO pricy in city. We did the quaint thing too - but really, not worth it. Plus the maid walked in on us having sex. Don't you people knock?

In Paris - Nightlife, Latin Quarter. Louvre. Musee d'Orsay. Seine. Eiffel Tower. Champs d'. The park. All nice. But hey, it's just a city.

That big church Notre Dame is just an old church full of tourists. Keep moving. Monmartre is dirty, go if you like crusty hippies.

Outside Paris - Palace of Versailles.

Paris is crazy expensive. If it was me, I'd skip it for more Spain.

16. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Smeg World Tour II
    Who will survive, and what will be left of them?

When do you expect to be in NY, Smegger?

17. SmeggySmeg

probably...maybe October 3rd and/or 4th

have been before but loved to have another look

18. CRC

CRC Member

I went to Paris on a 2 days trip several years ago... My most memorable experience of the city:

- Drink a cup of coffee at an outdoor cafe on Champs Elysees during the night (a very good way to observe & experience local lifestyle)

- Touring along the Saine river by ferry during the night... it's so romantic & beautiful... You get to see many tourist destinations along the way e.g. Eiffel tower, Louvre.. etc. (what a pity that your wife won't be there for the trip). I'll say this is a must for first time visitors...

- & then there is the day time tour to the Louvre museum, Eiffel tower, Arc de Triomphe ... etc... But my best experience of the city still happened during the night.

Paris is a great city with very good urban planning & design, unlike London & most cities in USA, Paris separates it's new urban developments from the historical district... thus preserving the history & cityscape of the past... overall, a great city full of culture... My No.2 choice for honeymoon ;)

19. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

hmmm...

there's this place called fontainebleu outside of paris worth checking out. palace there kinda looks like some of the palaces in st petersburg. the town is quaint.

if you're planning on doing tours with the motorcoaches and guides, you may want to check with cityrama there.

enjoy yourself. pretty kick ass place. :)

20. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Texans have a bye on the 5th but play at Tennesse on the 12th-- grudge match.