1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pardon: trump pardons Dinesh D’Souza

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, May 31, 2018.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's just like Trump to use his pardon power for nakedly partisan reasons, but it's not that big a deal to me that this guy no longer has to have regular visits to his probation officer. His sentence was not harsh in the first place. Meanwhile heard a story today about a model inmate who was released after 21 years of a 35 year sentence for dealing crack because of reforms to the legal system, but now after 2 years of freedom the decision was reversed on a technicality and he has to go back in. That sounds like a case worth pardoning.

Now I see a headline he's considering pardoning Blagojevich, the former governor of Illinois. Corrupt high government official. I'll be pissed if he does that.

da_juice and Nook like this.
  2. adoo

adoo Member

nah, Blag was a BIG-Time Democrat from Illinois (Obama's home state)

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

4. JuanValdez

Yeah, I kinda think he doesn't go through with it. He's floating it to see the reaction, see if Democrats see this potential pardon differently. I can't see how anybody would be happy about it though apart from Blag himself. Dude's a criminal and deserved everything he got.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  5. JuanValdez

Here's an article that says I'm wrong. A Chicago Tribune editorial that argues incoherently that, though Blag deserved to be convicted, Trump should pardon him because... well, everybody is crooked: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...lagojevich-trump-clemency-20180430-story.html.

6. NewRoxFan

There is always a weird reason with trump... Martha Stewart was also on the show...

da_juice and justtxyank like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This was your thoughts about pardoning a traitor and a terrorist, what do you think about this pardon? I'm curious to see if you'll be consistent or if you'll be like our resident DNC propaganda bot and feign outrage.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Who is the DNC propaganda bot feigning outrage?

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

NewRoxFan....the resident DNC propaganda bot.

cml750 likes this.
  11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

probably the account that just posts every new DNC talking point tweet with no commentary. As if clutchfans is simply a twitter aggregator. Something Basso used to get killed for

12. NewRoxFan

Rashmon likes this.
  13. Bandwagoner

can you continue to quote me? I like the red flags. TIA

Please note, I answered a question and pointed out hypocrisy with respect to Basso. Never complained, I have ability to scroll.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Lol. You are with your own facts again. But I’ll ignore that and provide an answer.

My thought on presidential pardon are generally favorable. I believe in forgiveness and reduction of harsh sentencing and sticking to DOJ norm (process for pardoning). In general, past presidents stick to that. I don’t think there was ever a case that pardon happen prior to actual sentencing before trump. And I don’t believe there were cases of pardoning outside of the doj norm.

Trump didnt stick to norm and didn’t wait for any sentencing prior to pardoning that nutz fellow in Arizona. As for this one, I have no idea who he is. From what I read briefly, it sounds like he was sentenced to a pretty light term, has admitted wrong doing and was regretful. The two things that stick out here is not sticking to doj norm process and pardoning a light sentence.

#34 Amiga, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
  15. NewRoxFan

It appears you need the red flags, happy to help. But I am also happy if people scroll past or even use the Ignore feature. Better that than to cuss or use offensive language in response. Two people did that and sit in my Ignore wastebasket.

Curious though, seemed in a different thread you criticized another poster for posting facts (that could have just googled) and then you opined that you prefer people's opinions. Seems there are lots of opinions out there (and as they say, "opinions are like axxholes, every has one"). Seems facts are harder to find. Its pretty clear what my opinion of trump is, but if you or anyone else is interested in my opinion, you could always ask...

16. Bandwagoner

I don't need them, I just like them. The context of the "facts" comment was in reference to him ignoring my more complex question that could have started a discussion and just asking me a simple yes or no question. I don't use ignore. I do use offensive language.

17. NewRoxFan

Just a suggestion... people will be more likely to engage in discussion if you are not argumentative and if you don't use offensive language. Just like my criticism of Samantha Bee in her offensive comment re: ivanka, I don't think its further's the discussion. But hey, that's just my opinion...

18. Bandwagoner

People here don't really want discussion. They just want to say I'm a racist, bobby lives in a trailer and everyone else is a Russian. Thanks for the advice and I'll offer mine: If you want discussion, posting a tweet confuses a BBS audience if they should reply to the tweet or you as if you are taking the tweets position. If I reply to you did you endorse every tweet or just post it for the lulz. It's not a discussion starter IME.

cml750 and TheresTheDagger like this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Isn't fan fiction the best?

cml750 likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So it's "DOJ norm" to set terrorists and traitors free? That's an odd perspective.