1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pappy Van Winkle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Sep 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Specifically, the 20 year.

[​IMG]
    It's released every fall, usually in October/November. And from what I've read, it can be hard to find as it sells out within days or even hours of its arrival to a store. Again, from what I've read, it helps to have a connection so a bottle will be set aside for you.

I'm sure plenty of you have had it before, so I was hoping yall could tell me where to get it and/or have a connection I might use. I emailed their distillery but they couldn't give me an concrete info.

Thanks

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

3. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

It's solid but its overrated. Everyone keeps touting it like its the greatest bourbon ever.

4. Buck Turgidson

It's been a few years, I should probably try to get another bottle or 2 for my bro and myself.

My "Uncle" was from Kentucky and had family outside of Frankfort, so that's where I got my last one. He passed away earlier this year, but I'll see if I can get in touch with his son up there.

I'll ask the GM at the Spec's here in town, we've raised several adult beverages together on many several occasions and he's hooked me up with a couple of hard to buy wines in the past.

Good idea, thanks for the motivation.

Have you tried Elmer Lee? I like that just as much as Pappy. Eagle Rare is also great and a lot easier to find, can't really go wrong with anything Buffalo Trace does.

5. Buck Turgidson

Everyone has different tastes and preferences, but it is generally regarded by the people who regard these types of things for a living as one of, if not the, best bourbons in the world.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

A very good friend of mine has worked at Specs for years and was able to procure a bottle of this for her husband's Christmas present a couple years ago. She said there were only about 6 bottles that went into circulation in all of Montgomery county. She was able to get one set aside.

She said one of the hardest things about getting one was fighting the urge to re-sell it as it can easily go for 10 times retail on the secondary market.

Within a couple days, she had one of her vendors offering her $1000 for the bottle. She didn't budge on it, but she did take somebody up an a trade offer - a shot of pappy traded straight up for a half-shot of Louis XIII cognac, which costs somewhere around $2000-$3000 a bottle.

Anyway, this is clearly a very coveted and rare liquor and you will have to have somebody on the inside to have a shot at it.

I was lucky enough to get to sample of a finger of the Pappy. It was quite good.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Save a glass for me, Buck.

8. Buck Turgidson

9. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Liquorlist.com has it but you have to pay a pretty penny for it. The 23 year old is going for ~$2k

10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I used to drink it All for free!

11. Double Shot

Double Shot New Member

Hey there. First off, thanks for the mention. I am one of the owners of LiquorList.com and I always like to acknowledge it when someone gives us a shout-out.

I also just wanted to mention that if you check back regularly, one can catch the occassional bottle of 23 year for about $1500 but you have to be quick to act. On a related note, however, the 20 year, which is a lot less $$, actually goes down better by most accounts.

Like another person posted above though, it's still too rich for my blood. The other owner of LiquorList took me out awhile back and treated me to a 1.5 oz shot of the 23 year. It was $55 bucks! I have to admit it did taste good and even better after it had mellowed on ice for a few minutes.

But I'm more than happy with Makers, Four Roses and even the Jim Beam Devil's Cut.

Thanks again for the mention.

Danial

12. Double Shot

Double Shot New Member

Yes, I understand that by most accounts, the 20 year is the best of the bunch. WIsh I had me some but I can't afford it at the going rate...yet...

Like I mentioned below, I've had the 23 year and it was pretty tasty after mellowing on ice for a bit but I would still like to try the 20 year and see if I agree with the general consensus.

13. Double Shot

Double Shot New Member

You have great tastes! Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace are a couple of favorites of mine.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

Is it better than Dr Pepper, AKA the best drink in the world?

15. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Last bottle I bought was in San Diego in fall 2011; it's amazing to me how insane people have gotten over it now. Heck, there were at least 4 bottles of the 15yr old unsecured, sitting on a prominent display in the middle of the shop. About ~$130, with the requirement that you buy at least 1 bottle of Buffalo Trace/Fireball in addition per bottle. They even had some of the 23yr old in stock for about $300, but grad student wages couldn't justify spending about a month's rent on booze.

To think that if I had cleaned out the store at that point, that investment would have done better than Apple stock by now...

Pappy is a lovely pour, but certainly not worth $2,000+ to my unsophisticated palate. Sign me up instead for 100 bottles of Buffalo Trace, but I've always been more of an Old Navy guy than a Banana Republic guy.

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

All wine is just wine, all bourbon is just bourbon, all marketing is bull****.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Awesome. Thanks. I've asked a friend of mine who used to work for Spec's if he had any idea as to how I could get it but he had nothin'. So please let me know if you hear anything good.

Yeah if it's gonna cost me $2,000 then I'm out. But if it's like $200 I'm in.

Neat.

18. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

This is very dubious. ;)

19. Buck Turgidson

That's insane.

20. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I have a feeling that a lot of the prestige is the "hunt" to get the bottle, even though I've read it is one of the best around.

My brother in law brought this up to me about a week ago, he was going to attempt to get a bottle this year. We ran by Spec's near my house getting some other stuff and the manager told us that every store is different, but most Spec's hold bottles for their customers with the most "points" on their card who put their names on the wait list.

Some will do a lottery drawing, and others just put it out first come first serve. Just need to ask your local dealer.

He also said sometimes bottles will show up at random little liquor shops that you wouldn't think would carry it. Part of the charm I guess.