1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Papanikolaou leaning toward two-year deal with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 15, 2014.

1. anchel

anchel Member

... He has nothing to do with Chandler Parsons, honestly. Parsons is a very skilled offensive player. Kostas is very limited there, better player defensively.

If you think on him like something more than a good backup, you're gonna be dissapointed.

He's like a Ryan Bowen with 3 pt shooting (can make it but is NOT a shooter, average shooter at best at NBA range). I like Feigen's description. Smart player, limited skills but high basket IQ, plays extremely hard and knows how to help the team.

I think he will be good for this team off the bench.

1 person likes this.
  2. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

So with a 2yr deal, we keep his full bird rights when it's over? I thought you needed 3.

3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

http://www.eurohoops.net/2014/07/dribbling/52621

4. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

who said Parsons couldn't be replaced, right?

5. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Not to worry, seeing as we need bodies on the floor and Morey has just issued his mantra of "finding the Chandler Parsons of the world etc," we'll make him a good offer and bring him over.

6. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I've never seen him play, so I am only judging this off of YouTube videos and scouting reports. But that pretty much sounds like Parsons when he entered the league. A guy that can shoot the 3pter but is not a sharpshooter. A guy than can drive to the basket but doesn't have elite athleticism. A guy that can't create for himself or others but has high basketball IQ.

Smart player limited skills, high basketball IQ, hard worker - that was Parsons when he entered the league. He also was a prett good defender. And his YouTube videos look pretty similar as well (shots, dunks, blocks from behind, driving by his guy).

Again, I don't know the player and can't really judge him - and I am in no way saying he is as good or close to as good as PArsons. I am only saying their skill set sounds similar. But who knows, maybe he is more like a poor mans Ariza or Budinger.

7. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

This.

I also think think that, while he certainly tries hard, his defensive ceiling at the NBA level is probably just above average.

8. conquistador#11

these moves make me think there is going to be more fokkas in the post for big man to get bol in offense this season. howard is going to be unbeetable, just hope a hairy someone shows up with defensive effort.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He aint that much off.

He is just a more of a Caveman version of Parsons, Parsons turned into a Teen Werewolf anyway on that Mav picture

10. bmd

bmd Member

Draft Express says as a "best case" he'll be like Omri Casspi lol

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Funny. Omri was more of a offensive player

12. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

anybody know the answer to this?

13. baubo

baubo Member

Early bird rights only. Meaning someone can offer him a poison pill contract. Either 3 years up to $25mil or 4 years up to $40mil.

14. anchel

anchel Member

Parsons is a really talented offensive player. Parsons can create his own shot at a certain level, he can really make shots off the bounce. He can finish with both hands. He's a good 3pt shooter and even better 2pt shooter. He also has an unbelieveable touch near the basket. He's a very good ball handler given his size. .... He's just pretty talented offensive player, so good.

Kostas on the other hand is a very limited offensive player. Yes, as a role player he can make some threes, and can go aggressive to the basket, but that's it. He has no offensive talent whatsoever. Almost zero at NBA level.

His profile is much closer to a Shane Battier or Ryan Bowen with some 3pt shooting. Being a worse shooter than Shane and having no post game, but probably being a more athletic player.

His niche in the NBA is at the defense, absolutely. He's an elite defensive player in Europe, and it's thought that his qualities can translate well to the NBA because of his size, his will, strength, relative athleticism and feet quickness. I think see him getting in foul trouble by using his hands too much to defend.

But again, if somebody thinks on him like more than a very limited role player offensively, he probably is gonna be dissapointed. Good news is that at least he has better basket IQ than Casspi, he knows better his limitations.

We'll see if he ends coming.

On Llull, I very much doubt to see him in Houston next year. I guess he would be asking for a longer an better paid contract, something in between this one and Mirotic's one.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

2 years gets the Rockets early bird rights. Basically, he will be a restricted free agent in 2 years in the same situation Asik and Lin were in when Rockets signed them.

16. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

The Pap-Smear era begins!

17. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Eh ... Parsons is offensively talented today, but that hasn't always been the case. Parsons developed a lot in the NBA. He wasn't as effective at creating his own shot even in his first year with the rockets, and his jump-shot was absolutely terrible. His ball handling also improved through time. The one thing Parsons was good at right off the bat was defense, it's what got him playing time, but he lost that through out the last couple of years.

As to Kostas, as long as he plays defense and knocks down three's, and plays with high energy, I think he could be very effective off the bench. Not to mention, he's still young so improvement isn't out of the question.

18. Amir's Johnson

He's good in 2K.

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Que "Kostas" Papanikolaou?

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's the Fared of Small forwards.