1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Papanikolaou leaning toward two-year deal with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 15, 2014.

1. NotChandlerParsons

Right. $5m total basically. His buyout is 1.5 million euros, so ~$2m. Assuming the Rockets contribute the max buyout amount of $600k, he still owes $1.4m out of pocket. He would ~$3.5 million total. Actually not as bad as I thought, but apparently not enough for him.

I think my math is right on this. Not sure though.

2. NotChandlerParsons

I actually can't seem to figure out whether his buyout is 1.5 million euros or USD. Multiple reports. Anyway long story short the dude is in the weird zone where he makes more money in Europe and probably has a better role than he would in the NBA.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Next year is fine with me. They'll have $625,000 available to pay the majority of his buyout next summer. Then, they could either sign him using (a) the Room Exception (2 yrs, $5.75M) if they use cap room next summer or (b) the Biannual Exception (2 yrs, $4.37M) or a portion of the MLE if they stay above the cap.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Curse you, ugly Parsons!!

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's pretty much exactly what Chris Bosh did.

6. Remii

Remii Member

If that's Morey's plan he's crazy. KD isn't coming here. Washington probably has the best chance of landing him over any other team if he leaves OKC.

7. NotChandlerParsons

Like Dwight Howard would never go to Houston? I don't get this assumption that players will always go home. The Wizards have years and years of terrible management and coaching, a bunch of oversized contracts as a testament to that, and will have to pay Beal that same year. KD to Houston is a very unlikely prospect indeed but writing us off at this point is silly.

8. Remii

Remii Member

Howard's situation was much different. He didn't have his pick of the litter. He was trying to get away from Kobe and we happened to be his best option available.

Washington wouldn't be preparing to try to get KD if he hadn't of already expressed interest. They've even went and hired his high school coach. Basketball wise John Wall would be great for KD... You see what he did with Ariza.

9. NotChandlerParsons

Durant won't either. It will come down to what teams have cap and where he wants to play. Thunder, maybe the Rockets and Wizards, maybe 2-3 other playoff teams in big cities.

I think they would. Lots of teams keep the door open and even make moves like this; sometimes it pays off like it did with Cleveland. Shoot, Rick Barnes might be available for hire by the time Durant's a free agent if all it takes to get him is hiring a former coach.

10. Remii

Remii Member

The Lakers weren't willing to do any sign and trades for Howard either _ his choices were Rockets and slim to none.

Many teams are clearing up cap space for two years from now (there are teams out there with their eyes on Howard as well) and I'm sure Presti wouldn't be so arrogant that he wouldn't do a S&T like the Lakers were. KD won't be in the same situation as Howard.

KD grew up with his high school coach. Rick only had him for a year, big difference. And John Wall is a better running mate for KD than Harden or Westbrook. But you keep that hope alive. We'll see 2 years from now.

11. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Kd's relatinship w harden is a factor.

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Indeed it is!