1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Papanikolaou leaning toward two-year deal with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Layup Drill

Layup Drill Member

Pap smear :( is my first thought. Hope he's good

2. yobod

yobod Member

I wonder why his stats in Europe are so underwhelming...6PPG?

3. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

This. It's clear DM is asset depleted and is looking to find a couple players that can show a lot of promise at the trade deadline to swing for a major upgrade.

- Dmo
    - Jones
    - Canaan
    - Papanikolaou (yeah that's right I had to copy and paste)
    - Young
    - Daniels
    - Lull

If any of these guys can show high upside potential and promise we'll hopefully have additional assets to throw into trade by the deadline. If there's one thing I know DM can do, it's finding talent in the late 1st and 2nd rounds. Hopefully the system we play will let one of these guys shine soon. I like the odds, one of these guys has got to pan out well.

4. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

He reminds me a bit of our old Bostjan Nachbar: tries hard, good size, straight-line drives only, streaky shooter but solid when hot.

I'm excited!

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

Rockets must think a lot of him to be giving him our BAE.

If he accepts (and I assume he will), we will still have the Lin TPE and our MLE.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

PER is heavily dependent on how a player is used in a team's offense and, like traditional stats, should not be taken as a perfect reflection of a player's abilities. It has some value, but need to be viewed in context.

For the most part, PER is generated via a combination of traditional stats adjusted on a per-possession basis. It is better than the "per game" or even "per ___ minutes" numbers but it still has certain issues.

Chris Bosh, for example went from a 25 PER during his final season in Toronto to a 19.4 PER in Miami. Did he become more than 20% worse over one season? Of course not. His role change and he got less touches. But he was a critical part of the Miami team that went to 4 straight Finals and he continue to get recognized as an Allstar all 4 of the past seasons.

Ray Allen went from a 22 and 21.6 PER during his final two season in Seattle to 16.4 and 17.3 in his first two seasons in Boston. Did he decline precipitously over one summer? Again, no. His role changed. He was a part of the "Big 3" for a team that made the next 2 NBA Finals and won a title and was an Allstar in 08 and 09.

7. basketballholic

We're already hard-capped with the sign-and-trade of Ariza. However that contract will either be cap space or a part of the MLE. We'll have to see which it turns out to be. I would suspect it'll be about half the MLE.

8. FeaR

FeaR Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Houston Rockets, I've learned, to extend $4.5 million total for NBA-bound Kostas Papanikolaou.</p>&mdash; David Pick (@IAmDPick) <a href="https://twitter.com/IAmDPick/statuses/489076417309597696">July 15, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Oh yes! We're going to win a championship now!

10. yobod

yobod Member

[​IMG]

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i wonder how many years this is over

12. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Supposedly two, based on prior reports.

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

The only reason we would use the MLE vs the BAE is if we wanted a deal longer than 2 years. You can go up to 4 years for the MLE....2 for the BAE.

It seems we were only offering a 2 year deal.

I doubt it's cap space, as we'd lose the MLE, BAE and Lin's TPE.

14. basketballholic

2 years

Wished it was just a tidgen lower at $4.247 million so it would fit the BAE.

15. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This guy is intriguing. Besides ability , dude has some fire in him, which is so important for euros to succeed in NBA. This could work out , guys.

16. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

Good, dude's better than Casspi or Garcia anyway and our current cap situation makes this a good opportunity to absorb his release clause.

High motor hustler, very quick in transition both offensively and defensively, good spot up shooter, good baseline cuts, nice hops for dunking and blocking, moves well laterally in defense, pretty much never injured, literally every single "intangible" you can think of. Shot 100% against AK47 when they matched up in the Euroleague final 2 years ago.

If he adjusts, he'll be great off the bench, provided he plays with a decent facilitator.

I wrote a huge post about him about a year ago if anyone wants more details.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Hopefully this Greek doesn't get home sick and start crying for momma after a season.

18. FabsRubio

FabsRubio Member

Holy crap wasn't there someone in this thread ****ting on Dorsey?

19. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

We probably have to use the majority of the MLE on a guy like Llull

Trade targets then should be someone like Ryan Anderson

20. FeaR

FeaR Member

Last year, he was playing in Spain and as it seems we brought his friend-teamate(+ex rocket), Dorsey.