1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paolo Banchero vs Chet Holmgren

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by MystikArkitect, Nov 9, 2021.

?

Chet "The Jet" Holmgren or Paolo "The Lambo" Banchero?

1. Holmgren

2. Banchero

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. D-rock

D-rock Member

I hope Banchero becomes unanimous #1 overall.

Just more options for Rockets.

Milos and jimmyv281 like this.
  2. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't like Banchero, however, he is the last man standing outside of Griffin...and so something to be said for that.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its March Madness the biggest knock on Banchero is accusations on his intensity and tendency to settle for low percentage shots, well those get shelved during March Madness everyone gets caught up in the atmosphere and brings out 110%. Melo worked real hard in MM too dragged his team to a title but obv had nowhere near that attitude once he came to the NBA.

Im not saying Banchero gonna be a perpetual coaster like Melo but you also shouldnt overrate him due to a stellar MM run.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Isn't Holmgren just a rich man's Poku?

(ducking for cover)

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

I'm higher now on Banchero than I was earlier in the season. You have to put a defensive big next to him though, which would mean trading Wood for said big, which I'm not opposed to at all.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Our center is Al P

Boii and D-rock like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Sure, except he couldn't defend a 9 foot rim.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

He's a better defender than Banchero though.

Boii, D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Rim protection. We haven't had it, and nothing you have said makes it better.

10. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Mark Williams would make it better at #16.

palmsnbananas and Yung-T like this.
  11. lionaire

lionaire Member

lmao how can you say this. there's nothing at all to support this.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Yes! I am with you he is legit the most consistent player out of the three bigs. He is also the better overall. Scores on all three levels -

13. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Lol it’s cuz he wants better chances at drafting Chet!

roslolian and D-rock like this.
  14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

We need a center, love Sengun but my God we do not have any protection in the paint. And no Chet is not the answer.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not in a 5 out offense he doesn't.

roslolian likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Chet is not a 5.

But he'd be a great 4 next to Sengun at 5.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Al P was MVP in No 2 Euro League in the world, thats a harder league than the NCAA. Banchero aint even MVP of NCAA lol. When it comes to defense Al P is the type who would dive for loose balls and scrap for position so he is a more willing defender than Banchero.

Boii, Gimmmethemike and D-rock like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sengun is a much better disruptor than Banchero. He averaged more deflections, steals and blocks in a high level pro league vs. Banchero in NCAA.

Sengun is not a great athlete nor is he very long but he is a high effort defender with really active hands to go with high IQ.

In fact, Sengun and Banchero are of similar size with similar wingspans but neither are explosive athletes. Difference is Sengun actually wants to play defense, and goes hard when he does.

19. Milos

Milos Member

Paulo is the guy you take if you're starting from ground zero, like Rox were last year

Similar to Green, of the Big 5, Paulo is a bucket now
    You really can't even start building a new team until you get one of these in place

That's why I see him fitting best in ORL
    They desperately need the centerpiece to anchor their collection of young talent
    Plus Isaac, Okeke and Bamba (maybe) are ideal complements to Paulo in the frontcourt as long, versatile, athletic defenders that can protect his weaknesses on D

That's also why I see Bari and Chet as much better fits for us and DET

We've got Green and they have Cade
    Step 1 - Complete - the OFF fulcrum is in place

Now begins rebuild Step 2
    Anchor the other end w a 2way star
    Target skills that play off those perimeter ball-handlers with complementary abilities on OFF

I prefer Bari #1, but it's hard to argue how perfectly he would fit next to Cade if they luck out

As 6'10" Klay, he will look great there or here, burying all the open shots the super sophs will create for him as respective Curry's on both teams

It's criminal how long it's taken the draft community to start acknowledging the crippling effect KD & Green had on JSJ's development this year
    Another reason he's my top guy

Chet and Paulo spent the season surrounded by future pros, under legendary coaches, with the luxury to have an off-night and not feel the pressure to carry the team every game

Meanwhile here's Bari
    He's got Pearl screaming his way to great team DEF, with Kessler having his back inside

Then on the other end, he goes 5+ mins of court time as the least-involved OFF player for AUB ...

Forget movement, space, or sets designed to free him up for open looks or development his best skill in the way it will be deployed in the NBA ...

Forget innovative handoffs, screen and rolls, or other ways to get the ball in his hands while moving to the rim ...

Nah

Let's just have him high post at the elbow, receive the pass, and either:
    - immediately turn around to shoot over smaller defender
    - take to dribbles straight forward, then pull up for another mid-range

That was Pearl's entire playbook for the best player he will ever coach

Everything else was the midget guards flying around like headless chickens, chaotically sabotaging their own team
    Or Kessler cleaning up inside occasionally

Paulo is pretty much a finished product playing on a pro team all season
    Chet was wisely used in the ways best suited to him, and we got a great look at how he should translate to the next level

Due to Pearl's inability to teach OFF basketball, we have barely scratched the surface of what Bari could become
    He essentially hasn't even played college ball for a season yet, since AUB looked largely like a simple high school system

Ivey is the other Big 5 with this untapped upside from running a non-NBA system
    I think these 2 are the most likely to have a Barnes-like revelation next season
    We didn't know all he could do already bc FLO ST stunted so much of his ability

roslolian and Gimmmethemike like this.
  20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Sengun is not a 5.