1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paolo Banchero vs Chet Holmgren

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by MystikArkitect, Nov 9, 2021.

?

Chet "The Jet" Holmgren or Paolo "The Lambo" Banchero?

1. Holmgren

2. Banchero

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

Banchero was horrible tonight. good win for OSU. Bye bye #1 rank for duke

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is my issue with Paolo, he doesn’t offer much when he’s off offensively.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Right

I think Chet is always gonna be a good defender but I don’t think he can get you a bucket in the nba, he’s not even asked to do that in college. His game is modeled after Durant … except he’s not fast enough to dominate from the perimeter which is a double negative, if he had some back to the basket fadeaway skills it might translate but honestly his frame is super skinny, if you think he’s going to muscle up … did Durant muscle up nope. I don’t think he’s raw at all, he’s highly skilled and older than most in his class. If he becomes a lights out shooter he may spread the floor as a 3 pt threat, I’m curious why he isn’t doing that in college right now?

This is all nitpicking I’m comparing him to Banchero and his level. Chets still gonna be good and a completely unique player but I would pick Banchero over him 100 times based on what I’ve seen this year.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

your quite fixated on his sweating and hydration lol

palmsnbananas likes this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s not normal. This many times is a red flag.

peleincubus likes this.
  6. HardenVolumeOne

Chet= Zhou Qi

Banchero= Michael Beasley

7. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

There should be a 3rd option in the poll:
    Me no likey anyone taller than 6 ft 9 :)

I would love the meltdown here if they were both available and we took a 6 ft 9 power forward. Where is Kenny Thomas when you need him

8. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Yes option 3 is who cares bc we won’t pick in the top two and all this was for nothing lol

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I'm not familiar with Banchero's cramping or injury history, but if he is having issues with cramping that's more likely due to being an ignorant 19 year old that isn't hydrating properly or eating the most well-rounded diet than a sign of underlying disease.

Muscle cramps don't usually cause severe muscle damage. It's possible, but it's not something I would cower about if I were an NBA GM. Location matters as well. Lumbar muscle spasms tend to be more severe. Tmac says hi.

A headache can be a warning sign of a meningioma, but it's not a confirmatory diagnostic indicator. It's most likely just a headache.

Unless we hear about something odd coming back from his pre-draft physicals, I don't really see what the fuss is about.

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s most likely nothing, I agree. But man they are frequent, he’s having some pretty severe cramps very frequently.

11. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

The first thing I think of is how annoying that was with Tmac, but again I wouldn't put too much stock into it at this point.

I think you and others are significantly underestimating Banchero's upside though. While he's more physically developed than Chet, so is my 4 year old, and it's not like I wouldn't expect him to continue to get stronger and work on other areas of his game.

Chet reminds me of a baby deer that was scaled up 3 sizes. He's really damn impressive though. No denying the ability and potential, I just hope he can fill out to at least Durant size. This dude is wayyyy smaller than Durant was at UT. I don't care what the measurables say. He looks like dough that got into a death match with a rolling pin and lost.

jiggyfly, palmsnbananas and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah man. I’ve said as much throughout this conversation. Chet has the highest upside but major bust potential, not denying that.
    I don’t see Banchero upside as high but he definitely has a higher floor. Just not enough on defense for me.
    That being said, I would be happy with either of them and Smith

13. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Hes thinner than Durant and way slower than Durant and can’t score anywhere near what Durant could do he will never be a Durant or Durant light. If he gets bigger he will be even slower and he already can’t take college guys off the dribble, so he does not have potential as a guy that’s gonna take anyone off the dribble in the nba. I don’t see how he scores in the nba aside from put backs etc. Unless he’s truly a nba range three point threat to spread the floor which is really just passively scoring off of someone else

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Just saw that Banchero is losing 7 pounds of water every game leading to cramping.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Nook

Nook Member

Anyone that expects Holmgren to score like Durant is going to be disappointed.

How many points a game do you think he needs to score at the NBA level? If he scores 20 points a game in the NBA with his skill set, his efficiency and defensive impact, then he is a superstar. He finishes exceedingly well inside even at 195 lbs and he comes off of screens and rolls to the basket very well. He also is expected to be a good perimeter shooter and ball handler, especially in transition..... even if he never develops the ability to put the ball on the floor and go by people, he has avenues to score....... he doesn't score more now because of the big that plays next to him and takes up the post on offense.

Chet is long and thin like Durant, but he is a better passer and ball handler....... but not nearly as good a scorer or shooter...... Chet is more like Bill Walton when he was healthy, but with less polish and the ability to run and switch.

17. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

I should have gone to the game (OSU-DUKE) last night. A lot of buddies went and seeing them post pics of them rushing the court has me feeling :(

For those who watched the game,

You should have kept on eye on EJ Liddel. A late round guy who i think would be great here.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

that definitely would have been a memorable one to go to. OSU was down just until the latter part of the game. Continuously trying to claw back in the game.

EJ tested the NBA draft waters last year. He opted out and so far is having a solid year to improve his stock

ickaruto likes this.
  19. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

YOLO

20. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Lol what he’s not even on the same planet in terms of ball handling as Durant.

In the last game I saw him shoot two wide open threes where no one was guarding him. I also saw him hit a bunch of shots inside over guys my height while flailing about looking like he’s about to get injured. I don’t think he’s going to get any of those shots in the nba. I only see him score inside on scrub players that are a foot shorter than him. Maybe he can score on actual PFs/Cs but I haven’t seen too much of it. Timme gets all those looks to be fair but what I see doesn’t translate to the nba in terms of offense.