1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Panic Attacks?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Harrisment, Jan 27, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And Hakeem had several bouts of heart arrhythmia.

2. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

You obviously don't work in a hospital.

3. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

As a Hispanic, I took it as him refering to old school beliefs. Close minded, machismo, old school, conditions-are-only-in-your-head type of thinking.

Luckily, not all Hispanics choose to live in ignorance.

#83 Falcons Talon, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Luckily, I'm not "Hispanic", mister stereotypes. :eek:

5. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

....says

"Your friendly MEXICAN ClutchFan "

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hispanic

His·pan·ic
    adjective \hi-ˈspa-nik\ : coming originally from an area where Spanish is spoken and especially from Latin America; also : of or relating to Hispanic people

Full Definition of HISPANIC
    1: of or relating to the people, speech, or culture of Spain or of Spain and Portugal

2: of, relating to, or being a person of Latin American descent living in the United States; especially : one of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin

#85 Falcons Talon, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

hispanic attack?

1 person likes this.
  7. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting thread. A few years ago I was driving to my in-laws to pick up my kids after work. Got tight chest pains and a numb arm. Made it to their house, got out to walk to the door and turned white and almost passed out. Then I went inside and just got down on the floor. Chest hurting, light headed, etc. they called an ambulance and they came and checked me and said heart was fine so I said ok I won't go. Waited for my wife, we went to grab some food and I got hit again so we went to the ER. They didn't know what it was or offer any help, just monitored me for hours and then set me up for a follow up with a cardiologist.

I never knew what that was. Still don't really. Maybe panic attack, no clue. Then about 6 months after that I got shingles which hurt like a b****. Felt like I was being stabbed with a bunch of spears and I could feel the pain at the entry site on one side and the exit on the other. I got meds early enough where it did not last long - apparently if you wait more than 72 hours it can be the year-long battle someone mentioned.

Obviously it was a fun time for me.

8. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yeah rim, that sounds very similar to what I experienced.

I haven't had anymore severe episodes like Monday thankfully, but I am still having a couple moments each day where I experience dizziness which lasts for about an hour. I'm hoping to get in with a cardiologist next week. I saw my family doc today and he wasn't much help really. He prescribed me an SNRI, but I'm a little hesitant to take it given that many people I've found say that this medication actually increases anxiety initially.

9. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Go see a psychiatrist.

SNRIs and SSRIs, while classified and mostly used to treat depression, are commonly used to treat anxiety as well, which is why they're also classified as anxiolytics (anti-anxiety). Yes, anxiety is a side effect, and increased depression is a side effect of antidepressants. Tylenol is a first-line drug to knock down a fever, yet fever is a side effect. Nauseous? Take nausea meds. Potential side effect of nausea meds? NAUSEA. Point being, everything has the potential for side effects, and if said side effects occur, you and your doc will want to try something else.

Unless you have any prior issues with addiction, I wouldn't worry in the least about taking a benzo (Xanax, Ativan, etc.). If you take them as-needed, and do so appropriately, there isn't much to worry about. If you don't like the idea of taking something every day (antidepressant) for a problem that might not exist as an every-day issue (anxiety/panic), then benzos are absolutely appropriate if they are properly managed.

1 person likes this.
  10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

You forgot "thoughts of suicide"... but I think that's the top of the side effects food chain with these drugs for these illnesses... :eek: isn't that weird/funny/odd?

11. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know if you need to see a cardiologist if they checked your heart during the episode and all was well. When I went they just did a stress test and I came out above average as I knew I would (hook you up to heart monitor and make you walk until heart rate goes up enough to get results. Longer you are on it the better you are). Everyone at the time just kind of said "I dunno" and never mentioned stress or anxiety.

Shingles was most likely triggered by my body's handling of stress since it is generally and older person thing. Doc said it is usually stress for someone in their 30's.

I have not had any similar symptoms since (probably been about 3 years) but my life is way more difficult and stressful now so maybe it is just piling up to kill me one day. Who knows!

12. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I doubt anything is seriously wrong with you but obviously worth getting checked out. I suffer from anxiety attacks as well and usually they come from no where. The first time I experienced an attack I was watching TV and started feeling funny/anxious for no reason. I got up and was only able to take a couple steps before getting dizzy and collapsing. I had to lay down for the next couple hours. I was okay if I didn't get up and kept my eyes open. Anytime I tried moving around or go to sleep I would get dizzy.

Luckily it's a non-issue now because I use Xanax to combat my anxiety. I take a dosage of .5 mg if I feel too nervous or anxious. Since taking Xanax I've only had three attacks in nine years as opposed to 8 attacks in two years. Also the attacks didn't last as long since I was medicated. I only take as needed so it takes about two years to go through a prescription of 30 2mg pills.