1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Panic Attacks?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Harrisment, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

My dad had shingles and was in pain for nearly a year from it. Just a few days ago he told me he'd do his heart surgery again without a second thought if the choice was between that or suffering through shingles again. He was miserable from it.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

yeah, it was probably one of the most painful things I've ever had to endure.

Anything rubbing on the affected area. :eek:

Hope these episodes go away for ya.

1 person likes this.
  3. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Q0YXWpz4KGs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's common for A-fib to be misdiagnosed as a Panic Attack, even with all those tests they gave you, Harrisment; they generally have to catch an A-fib in the act.

1 person likes this.
  5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Sorry to hear you're going through this breh! Everybody deals with stress differently and everyone seeks help differently as well. I've had a couple of episodes myself so I can relate. Breathing exercises, talking to my spouse and prayer have always helped me (not in that order). Just know that you are not going crazy or that you're the only one that has this! It will get better as you learn to deal with the problem. Hope you feel better breh!

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'll have to research that. The EMT's were here right during the peak of it, and did hook a machine up to me with several different sensors on my torso/arms which i believe was to look at my heart activity. Not sure if that would have caught something like this or not, but from what they could tell at least everything looked ok at that time other than my heart rate being really high.

8. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

That's stress man.

I remember I had issues like that due to me over thinking about things. Just gotta do thing to keep your mind right. Video games?

1 person likes this.
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

Panic attacks it seems are quite common. Luckily I have never had one. But you are not alone out there. And while you have something going on with you that needs some treatment, I would try to think of it like a headache in that it happens to a lot of people, you can get treatment, and you will get better.

1 person likes this.
  10. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Yeah just reading about this brings back bad vibes. Had my first one ever while doing the herb, and I felt all those things you talked about. Scared ****less, thinking I was going to die, every last nerve in your body feeling like it's going to explode, the whole nine yards. This was about 2 years ago and I was in 12th Grade. Still the last time to date and the last time I will ever get involved with drugs, they're not for me. I don't even want to be around it, the smell bothers me and starts to tense me up as it reminds me of those moments.

But even after I stopped I still felt very strange and actually had a few more panic attacks in the next two months. This was the first time in my life I'd had to deal with this, so this entire experience was new to me. Still by far the worst two month stretch of my young life, I was completely out of it and ****ed up in the head. I was also transitioning into College and I swear I was never worried about that but maybe subconsiously I was? Don't know, but I've learned to control myself if I ever start to feel strange.

1 person likes this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That's very true, and they can't even completely separate the two phenomena, to the best of my understanding.

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yeah I'm just reading about it and it does seem they overlap in symptoms quite a bit. The fact that my stress levels have been very high lately still make me lean towards the anxiety side, but I need to explore it further since I've never experienced anything like it. The hospital suggested that I follow up with a Cardiologist anyways and get a physical (which I haven't done in years), so I'm going to try and knock those out soon. I'm 35 btw, which I wanted to throw out there since a lot of people mentioned how old they were when their panic attacks started.

Appreciate all the info and support all, you guys are awesome!

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you can take supplements to help anxiety. also do you exercise much? that also helps.

14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

strange. my dad had shingles and when i asked him about it he said it wasn't that bad. i guess it's different for everyone.

15. B-Bob

it is totally different for everyone. They have a vaccine now, but it only lasts like 10 years, so they like to give it to people at age 60 or so (when most people get it, if they're going to get it).

Some people can get shingles on their *head* and it can cause blindness. That's rare, but my mother-in-law had it on her head and luckily kept her sight.

16. B-Bob

Having a dog is also correlated strongly with decreasing anxiety and lowering blood pressure (and even heart attack risk). The data are amazing. Maybe it's just walking the dog that helps.

Also, this may not apply with a puppy. :grin:

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If it was happening while the EMT had you monitored, then the A-Fib would have been seen. So, sounds like they were able to rule it out.

18. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Quoted for truth. While many of the symptoms overlap, AF has a definite pattern on the heart monitor. You were not in AF.

Good luck with the panic attacks. I will also recommend meditation which I have adopted to deal with anxiety/stress. One thing most people don't understand, however, is that meditation is not something that you just "do." It is a skill like playing the piano, and must be practiced regularly over time.

Also, exercise regularly if you are not already.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

1. It's Harrisment, not harrissment. Dumbass.
    2. There were 68 words you quoted, not one. If you were going to quote one word, the proper grammar would have been to type "Here is his word." Dumbass.

20. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Swoly-D doesn't believe in mental illness. Countless, brave veterans suffer from PTSD, obviously a mental ailment. Therefore, Swoly is indeed a dumbass who doesn't support soldiers in the country he lives in (regardless of his heritage.) Therefore, Swoly is guilty of treason. Sound ridiculous? Sure is. Just about as ridiculous as half the **** Swoly posts.

Just ignore Swoly. Christ Swoly, please don't have any kids.