1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pandora Gaming Handheld

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MoonBus, Oct 3, 2008.

1. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

I've been following this project for awhile.
    It cost more than the PSP, but more powerful.
    This will not appeal to the average gamer (because there are currently no commercial games) but more for people who are into emulation and homebrew.
    From their message board, many are more interested in its use as a portable PC then gaming.
    It uses the same screen as the Archos 406, which many claims to be an excellent LCD.
    It currently can emulate all the old systems upto PSX.
    The community's goal is to emulate N64. There are talks of emulating Dreamcast (may not be possible) and PSP.

* ARM® Cortex™-A8 600Mhz+ CPU running Linux
    * 430-MHz TMS320C64x+™ DSP Core
    * PowerVR SGX OpenGL 2.0 ES compliant 3D hardware
    * 800x480 4.3" 16.7 million colours touchscreen LCD
    * Wifi 802.11b/g, Bluetooth & High Speed USB 2.0 Host
    * Dual SDHC card slots & SVideo TV output
    * Dual Analogue and Digital gaming controls
    * 43 button QWERTY and numeric keypad
    * Around 10+ Hours battery life

Price: $330

http://openpandora.org/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

$330 isn't alot considering the amount of cool **** you will be able to play on it.

3. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

I'd buy it if it has a 32GB flash hard drive(or at least some SD input) and the Linux OS runs moderately well.

Also needs to have a USB drive so I can use a mouse on that thing.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Man, that looks neat, I have been trying to convince Dell that they should be doing a Micro computer for years.....

I want one.......I hope it can do skype......

DD

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

WiFi games etc . . .is the Future IMO

Rocket River

6. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

It has 2 SD slots, it supports SDHC.
    It also has 2 usb connections.
    From what I understand, the 2 circular nobs can perform mouse movements.

The community believe it's just a matter of time, someone just needs to write the drivers.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

not much of a workout on that 2nd pic :eek:

8. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

How many grown men play portable gaming systems and where do they find the occasion to? Not trying to be patronizing, it just seems that kids have many more occasions to bc they would have to share a TV with family, ride the bus, sit in the back seat, etc.

When I have the time as a grown ass man, I'd much rather just play a better powered game system.

Basically, if you're making a portable game system, shouldn't you gear it towards kids? I see how the Gameboy in its bajillion incarnations is dominating the market for the last 20 years and am surprised when something like this pops up.

Though, maybe kids want something that looks like a laptop. Hell, my nephew has a cell phone. Who is he gonna call? :confused:

9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

You're kinda right. The weird thing is i didn't have one when i was a kid (money) but now i have one that i don't use much. But, there are sometimes when i do find time to use my psp. I used it during my evacuation for hurricane Ike and i use it while i'm in waiting rooms (doctor, dentist, jiffy lube, discount tire, etc.)

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

See, I think it should be a micro PC....that also does games.

Sat Nav, Movies, Games, Wi-fi, video conferencing, skype, cell phone etc..etc..etc..

A pocket PC.

DD