1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Palm Pilot Advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SmeggySmeg, Jul 26, 2000.

1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Member

With my impending trip to Singapore, and new job i was thinking of purchasing a Pal Pilot while I was in Singapore.

So what I am after is some advice from Palm Pilot owners on the what model is the best value?????

Smeeg

------------------
    Stuff BBS, the Rockets and you guys

It's all Clippers these days, come join the bandwagon and visit

http://www.ClippersCity.net

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

From what I remember, Palm no longer makes a plain Palm III (although you may still be able to find them being sold). The IIIe is the base model of the III line. The IIIe has the smallest amount of memory (2 MB), no links to MS Outlook, and from what I remember, the worst part is the operating system itself is not upgradable. All other III's have an upgradable OS. The IIIe can be had for under $150 and the IIIx can be had for about $220.

------------------
    Just shut up and post

3. rimbaud

rimbaud Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks, Dr - you reminded me that my wife has the IIIx, because she wanted the upgrade-ability.

------------------
    "One evening I seated Beauty on my knees. And I found her bitter."

"I am a sick man...I am a wicked man. An unattractive man. I think my liver hurts."

4. Achebe

Achebe Member

Let your palm be the pilot.

------------------
    The ClutchCity 500.

5. insideout

insideout Member

oh, and what's the main difference between a III and IIIe? The latter is cheaper.. but I don't know how much use it is.. although CNet rate it as a good buy.

------------------
    i need a vacation

6. rimbaud

rimbaud Member
    Supporting Member

I do not know much on the subject, but my wife researched it a great deal and got a IIIe - saying it was the best value for a "don't need evrything possible crammed into one machine" person. After the III's, the prices jump up pretty fast. If you really need it for a lot of things (other than organizing, keeping financial records, etc) then you should go higher.

------------------
    "One evening I seated Beauty on my knees. And I found her bitter."

"I am a sick man...I am a wicked man. An unattractive man. I think my liver hurts."

7. insideout

insideout Member

rimbaud,

did your wife ever figure out how to import her address book from outlook express to her palm IIIx?

------------------
    i need a vacation

8. dc sports

dc sports Member

I don't know much about them -- but a friend showed me her's this past weekend that had snap in modules -- which she says is her favorite feature. The best was a digital camera module.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

dc

Those were Handspring's PDA's correct? They use basically the same OS as the Palm and actually the company was started by the founders of the Palm Pilot platform, I believe. They have (or will have) snap ons that turn the PDA into all sorts of things... MP3 players, wireless devices, etc.

------------------
    Just shut up and post

10. dc sports

dc sports Member

No clue. The camera part was just really cool -- and I can see the modular function being awesome. I would have asked more about it, but it was my high school reunion, and we were trying to visit & catch up.

The handheld computers are getting really cool. I'm going to wait a few years before looking -- they'll be more standardized and advanced. (When I get the urge, I dust off my pocket electronic dayplanner/address book off that I never really used, and decide to wait until I really need one. [​IMG] )

BTW -- She and her fiance are very techy -- I consider myself to be pretty computer savy, and I wasn't following half of what she was talking about. Another friend and I couldn't figure out what she did -- but we are talking a woman who downloads her e-mail to a palm top by cell phone -- at a barbeque / swim party.

Her boyfriend had a cool job though -- worked for a little outfit called Origin -- He worked on Wing Commander 2 and 3. Now he works for a newer company I hadn't heard of, deciding how difficult parts of games are (# of monsters, etc.).

------------------
    Stay Cool...

11. davo

davo Member

You should get a Visor - I don't have one, but I believe you get much more value for money - more memory, expandability, an cheaper too.

------------------
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hey, you should ask DaDakota about that. He works for Digital Anvil... was that the name of the company?

------------------
    Just shut up and post

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

FYI,

Palm is releasing the M100 to compete in the value arena with Handspring. The M100 will replace the IIIe, which I believe has been or will be discontinued. The M100 should retail around $149.

Palm is also releasing a new Palm VII.

------------------
    Just shut up and post