1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pallacanestro Cantù signs Maarty Leunen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by worzel gummidge, Jul 14, 2009.

1. worzel gummidge

2 people like this.
  2. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Good luck to him.

Italy got some good eating too.

Go get at it Maarty.

And Gummidge you are all over this stuff - you are a newsbreaker in the
    mould of a Craig Hutchison my friend.
    ;)

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Good for him. He has a future in the NBA as a Matt Bullard/Matt Bonner type of player.

4. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

He would not have cracked the roster this year. Its best that He polishes his skills overseas and maybe next year He can try again. Good Luck Marty.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The Chronicle reported late last week that Leunen had an offer in place with this team. Morey knew about it awhile ago.

I think the only reason he didn't sign sooner was that Maarty wanted to gauge whether he could make the Rockets' roster this season. Morey apparently encouraged him to go back to Europe for at least one more year. As the Chronicle article said, the Rockets like Maarty so much that they are specifically NOT inviting him to training camp. If Leunen were to attend training camp and fail to make the team, the Rockets would lose their rights to him. Since they really like him as a potential contributor down the line, they would rather he get a little better over in Europe and come back ready to make the roster.

Still, thanks for keeping all of us informed, worzel. Especially on news out of Europe.

6. eman

eman Contributing Member

I hope he'll reunite with AB in the not-too-distant future. He plays smart, within himself, keeps the ball moving and the floor spaced well... He brings some useful tools to work. Eat some pasta, pump some iron, and keep the faith, ML!

7. Dei

Dei Member

Was this guy screwed by the NBA draft?

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I think he fits in as a backup PF with Yao Ming at center, a spread the floor kind of guy who feeds off of the attention Yao gets.

Right now, we don't have Yao, let him develop one more year, then bring him in NEXT year.

He is an NBA player.....probably around 8th man at best...but definitly a role player in the league, IMO.

DD

9. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

He'll have a much better chance of making the roster next year when Cook's contract expires.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I wish him well. Still has a chance to make it in the NBA in the future and Maarty's earning a living, a good living, doing what he loves. Most people can't make that statement. :cool:

11. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I really don't like what Morey is doing to Maarty Leunen at all. I mean, yeah, we have alot of power forwards on the team. But this guy was drafted I think 54th pick in the 08 draft and he's outperforming some of last years and this years 1st picks. I know what Morey is doing is good for the team, that we can keep his rights, but you have to feel bad for the guy, because he is performing well Morey is holding him hostage and making him go overseas If we don't have a roster spot for him, then he should just let him go and let him make someone elses team.. I dunno, Just my two cents

12. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Yeah it sucks for Leunan, but that's the way the system works, we'd lose out if we didn't do it too. Look at what Spurs did to Scola - they held his rights for years and ended up using his rights to dump salary. It also seems obvious to me Sota picked Rubio with no intention of playing him, and only to use him as a trade asset.