1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Palestine now a non-member observer state thanks to landslide UN Vote, US pissed off

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Nov 30, 2012.

1. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Glad to see Palestine is making progress! This is a step in the right direction in my book!

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

4. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

RT is more credible than Fox, Cletus.

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

You didn't even watch the video you posted? Why on earth did you post it?

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

you just pwn3d yourself.

from your article:

8. mgraye2969

mgraye2969 Member

It is factual...It could have a little more info, but for the most part it is stating facts. Just because you say it is trash, does not mean it isn't true.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Kwame is just hating, as usual.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

JIDF please go

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

That was in the first link too. The one that wasn't credible enough for you. See:

It's not for Israel to decide. It's also very clear that this is a punishment, as stated by the stooges themselves:

I ask again, and I worded it carefully to make it very clear: how is the credibility of the source critical to your assessment of the matter?

12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Dear Americans,

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I5xjMa128ng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

http://rt.com/news/uk-france-israel-settlement-105/

14. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

You REALLY don't think the Israelis could make things a hundred times worse for the Palestinians if they wanted to? And you really don't think that they wouldn't do that if the ICC ( a court which it should be noted, Israel has not acceded to?) put their leadership on trial? How do you think most Americans ( and I mean most Americans, not most of the members on this board who would be dancing on the streets) would react and feel about the UN if they tried Bush tomorrow?

@Northside: Democracy is valuable only insofar as it provides good government, I don't particularly value it in and of itself.

Fox News may be ****, but they aren't state-funded and none of their contributors are as loony as stinking Alex Jones. RT has no credibility and I take anyone who actually seriously follows their articles with a massive grain of salt.

15. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Just wondering, Have you ever felt the need to contribute to it?

16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Mathloom, thanks for the Amira Hass video. Very impressive. I had read a thing or two of hers, but was not very familiar.

Hopefully they don't fire her from her paper.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just heard on the news that France and the UK are calling in the Israeli ambassadors in their respective countries to criticize the move to build 3,000 new homes in the West Bank.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bit of a tangent. Democracy doesn't guarantee good government but it is the only way to peacefully allow for citizens to have a say in their government and to change government. There are such things as benevolent dictatorships but if the dictatorship no longer serves the interest of the people there is no way to change that short of violent revolution.

19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

No you are confusing a couple of things. Israel could flatten almost any single country except for maybe 8-9. This is because they have a tremendous air force, hundreds of nukes, chemical/biological weapons and a well-trained army backed up by IIRC 750,000 soldiers they can call up at any moment.

Israel could make things literally a million times worse. There is no amount of Hamas/Fatah rockets that could stop or alter the behavior of the Israeli government. Israel can defeat all its neighbours simultaneously - nevermind the 12,000 basement-trained Hamas members who make rockets out of fertilizer in their backyard as their only weapon which has zero accuracy. Look no further than 11,000 rockets ever fired by them (since 2001) with a handful of casualties.

In a vaccuum, Israel can do a lot. But the source of this power is not Israel, it's the support of a certain set of countries. So today, Israel is what its supporters have made it and continue to make it. There will always be war-mongering Israelis - like any other country. But the ability of those war-mongers to come to power and execute their power with little official scrutiny is not endless. It's not limitless like the amount of weapons Israel can obtain or the number of people it can kill. Its limits are where the US and its buddies set them. While the US will always be the wild card, those buddies are hugely valuable to the economy of Israel, to the public perception of Israel, to the level of journalistic scrutiny Israel receives, etc. These are important things and they are the next step. We are not going to go overnight to a situation where the world powers change their mind about supporting Israel. The next logical step is the United States becomes even more isolated in its support - both horizontally (its friends) and vertically (its citizens).

So the way this goes is that Israel is at a very sensitive point right now. It CAN do worse. But I suggest that we are getting close to the point where every escalation by Israel causes fractures in the relationships between: (1) world powers and their citizens and (2) between world powers. This vote IMO was very positive - while still fantastically skewed given the overall picture, it has dared some countries to go a little bit further in their criticism of Israel. The EU is splitting on the settlement issue - google it. While the tide in Europe was heading to the right (and still is in some places), the outcome looks like among a whole host of things the people of Europe are starting to lean left. This is going to translate upwards given they are among the more democratic countries.

On the other hand, your politicians continue to fervently support Israel and largely turning a blind-eye to settlement issues. As was reported earlier, congress does not even discuss these issues preferring to spend time on pushing creationism in schools and deciding whether or not abortion is OK in the year 2012.

The rest of the world has always and will always be on the Palestinian side. Russia and China will be on the Palestinian side, and more staunchly as long as you are on the Israeli side. The widening gap between European and American opinion on Israel is significant, even if it will take a long time to materialize. So the question is not: can't Israeil kill more Palestinian civilians and targets? Yes it can. But the real question is: how many more Palestinian civilians can Israel kill while continuing to receive unwavering support from Europe?

Not long I say. Will Israel escalate if they are tried by the ICC? I guess the answer is yes if you are of the mindset that Israel is not going to do the same thing again unless provoked. I'm of the opinion that Israel does not need to be provoked to drag its people and, more fatally, Palestinians into another terror campaign. If they are tried, they'll do another Cast Lead or Pillar of Whatever.

I am more shocked that you seem to believe there is a way of dealing with these things such that Israel does not engage in another "surgical operation" - that is, of course, other than the disintegration of Hamas + the handing over of lands sought by extremist Israelis + acepted occupation + giving up rights to Palestinian assets + giving up right of return + giving up all of Jerusalem + little to no sovereignty.

Perhaps I should have re-phrased: what would Israeli do that it was not going to do exactly within 4 years which would not undermine the support it lives on if it was convicted by the ICC, to which it has not "acceded"?

20. Mathloom

Supporting Member