1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pakistan President Seeks Apology From Charlie Hebdo Amid Protest

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2015.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Pakistan’s President Mamnoon Hussain sought an apology from Charlie Hebdo for depicting the Prophet Muhammad on its magazine cover as protesters and police clashed over demonstrations in Karachi.

The French magazine “undoubtedly” hurt the feelings of Muslims, Hussain said in an e-mailed statement. “Freedom of expression doesn’t mean insulting the faith of others.”

An Agence-France Presse photographer was shot and injured as Pakistani police dispersed demonstrators who were protesting the publication of the cartoons.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and the lower house of parliament yesterday condemned the publication of the cartoons in the Paris-based satirical weekly. Twelve people were killed in the initial attack on Charlie Hebdo, which had received threats because of an earlier depiction of Muhammad. After a manhunt for the killers, 17 people were dead in Paris’s deadliest attacks in more than half a century.

Student members of Jamaat-e-Islami, a religious political party, tried to march toward the French Consulate in Karachi today. Scuffles broke out between participants and the police when officials tried to block their way. About 200 protesters gathered at the site, according to police. The party claimed 2,500 people attended.

Religious parties held peaceful protests in Islamabad, Lahore and Peshawar today.

A photographer for AFP was shot and hurt in the Karachi scuffle, the agency said, without providing details. A protester and a policeman were also injured, according to Seemi Jamali, spokeswoman for the Jinnah Hospital in Karachi.

Police Firing

Police resorted to firing after “a journalist was injured from a bullet that was fired from the crowd,” Abdul Khaliq Sheikh, a senior police officer, said by phone. “Police resorted to using the water cannon then tear gas to stop them but they wouldn’t listen.”

Television channels showed images of riot police with rifles throwing sticks and stones at protesters who shouted slogans against the cartoons.

“Police needlessly fired shots at our peaceful protest,” Hafiz Naeem-ur-Rehman, a spokesman for the Jamaat-e-Islami said by phone from Karachi. “The participants were going to the French Consulate peacefully when police resorted to aggression. Several of our boys have been injured.”

The French consulate is located in an upscale neighborhood in Karachi’s south, where residents heard gunfire and roads quickly became deserted.

“Such a needless show of strength will only push Pakistan further toward isolation,” Mutaher Ahmed Sheikh, professor of international relations at the University of Karachi, said by phone. “Religion is an overwhelmingly sensitive issue in Pakistan and if there was a peaceful protest, it should have been allowed.”

Paramilitary troops were called in after the protests and deployed outside the French consulate.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-...ots-to-disperse-charlie-hebdo-protesters.html

2. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

As long as its not violent or threatening in any way its all good. People can draw whatever they wish and people can speak up against it as well.

3. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

You know what's even dumber than holding all Muslims collectively responsible for acts of terrorism?

Holding an entire nation collectively responsible for an artistic work that offends you. Grow up Pakistan, and join the 19th century or something.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

5. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

It would be like protesting a Bayern Munich game because you don't like an ATW post.

6. CometsWin

Not so much. Hebdo insulted Muslims. The French showed their support for Hebdo's right to insult Muslims. Muslims have every right to be angry at Hebdo and French support for them. Christians get pissed off at things like this all the time in the US and demand apologies. So what?

7. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

When was the last time Christians in the US protested an embassy to "demand apologies" from that state for what writers wrote in that country?

Do you seriously think Hollande owes anyone an apology over this to anyone?

8. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Hollande does not owe anyone anything, don't see the connection. Where else are the Pakistani's supposed to go other than the French Consulate to protest against images they see as offensive which originated in France.

9. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Nawaz Sharif and parliament made an official condemnation. I'd say a state act of that order is looking for a response.

You call or write the publication with a response, presumably because you actually read it.

Maybe I should write to Nawaz Sharif and explain that outside of Pakistan, we have more concern about the right of free expression than we do with the right to marry our cousins in order to keep our tribal bloodlines pure.

1 person likes this.
  10. CometsWin

Americans don't give a **** what anyone thinks about them. Chinese did all kinds of stuff to Japanese stores and products in protest of something a few years ago. It happens.

I think they should be a little more cognizant of what they're doing there. If it's free speech to insult Muslims then it's certainly free speech to protest Israel. It's pretty shady to not only allow one but to openly celebrate it while limiting the other.

11. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Is this a Turing test or are you just avoiding answers to my questions?

12. CometsWin

They're bad questions. Is Hollande going to march with Hebdo after they ridicule the Pope? I would venture there'd be quite a few pissed off Catholics in the US if that happened. Is Hollande going to march with Hebdo after they ridicule Jews? I'd bet Jews would be pretty pissed off about that too.

When was the last time a head of state marched in support of ridiculing an entire religion?

Do I think Hollande's little publicity stunt was ill advised? Yes. Do I think he should apologize for it? I don't know. I don't know enough about French politics to give a good answer.

Just because you support someone's right to say something doesn't mean you should support them doing it nor does it make it any less insulting to the people to whom it's directed.

#12 CometsWin, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  13. CometsWin

And damnit for getting me into this stupid thread. I don't care for any of these religions, I find the way they're all practiced to be very damaging to human spirituality.

1 person likes this.
  14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Hardly counts as news when much of the government supports the blasphemy laws

15. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

If that's your take on the Socratic method, I think you may have already lost whatever argument you are trying to make, but I'm doing my best to figure out what that is. I'm certainly doing more to show respect for you and your argument than you seem to be for me and mine.

I'm pretty certain you understand what satire is. I'm pretty sure you also understand that Charlie Hebdo has a long history of specifically satirizing religion in general, with Jews not exactly being spared what you consider ridicule and Catholics getting the worst of it.

I wouldn't call Hollande's photo op with world leaders a "publicity stunt" as much as Netanyahu's willingness to abuse the moment for opportunistic electioneering. World leaders showing solidarity to dead artists? I found that a rare act of good taste and sincerity.

Oh I see now how you interpret this. How miserable you must be and how terrifying the world must be to you :( I sincerely pity your ignorance and thin skin.

Someone's right to self-expression does not require my support. And someone else's theological beliefs are not censors to be tiptoed around because it insults them or hurts their feelings. The magic belief that makes that rule work for some Muslims is absent for the vast remainder of the universe, which is thankfully indifferent.

Most Muslims I know (and indeed most religious people I know) are more concerned about human injustice and helping their fellow man than insults to their pet belief system. It is the reaction of less-than-intellectual Muslims that does more to undermine both the faith and it's perception by others than anything outsiders say about it. If your god requires active intervention by mere men to avoid being maligned, I'm not too impressed at the power and majesty and universal justice you would otherwise try to convince me of.

In the First World, at least in the parts where we don't marry our cousins (which does not, incidentally include California) , our laws of free expression govern libel and slander, often in different ways and to different degrees of proof, but not to protect against "insult" or "hurting peoples feelings."

And people like you and the prime minister of Pakistan that are either unwilling or unable to grasp that basic tenant of Enlightenment thinking? You all deserve deserve to be pointed at and laughed at, and ridiculed, and such an act would be the most humane response. Anything else would be accommodating your ignorance and being a party to it, or lowering oneself into a fight where one exists only your own tortured imagination.

#15 Deji McGever, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Wow. Just wow. CometsWin is embarrassing himself so badly.

17. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought people showing support for Charlie Hebdo was more about supporting their right not to get murdered for what they print. That is different than saying "we love making fun of Muslims!"

Also, the government was supporting a magazine that does make fun of the Pope and jews, etc. I have not seen a Papal edict denouncing the French government. Because, you know, it is no big deal and this Pope generally seems anti-murder.

18. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Is looking for Hollande to respond? What does he have to do with the publication. They are condemning the publication. IMO, you are trying to extrapolate a little too much out of this.

People can and should be able to protest where they want as long as its peaceful, nonviolent, and nonintrusive. Why they have to do it in a certain manner which you or anyone else finds appropriate is beyond me.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I demand an apology from the Golden State Warriors

20. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Make sure you email them, I hear it'll get you heard.