1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pain in your head while flying?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HtownRocks3, May 31, 2003.

1. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

Has anyone ever flew in a plane and on your descent back down, I don't know what would cause it, but you feel this sharp pain in your head and in your ears. It's so extreme where whatever you do, which way you turn, it will not stop the pain?

I had a flight Wednesday, I made 2 stops. I went from Raleigh-Durham to Atlanta, then from Atlanta to New Orleans, then from New Orleans to Houston and on all 3 flights I felt this pain. I've flown I'd say around 15-20 times before now and this has only happened one other time. When I get off the planes, I am totally deaf in one ear and I can't hear well out of the other ear. Im really worried because my hearing has gotten better but I can't hear too much out of my right ear still. It's been 4 days now.... I'm worried I'll never be able to hear the same again, and I'm only 18! Help, please!

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Why are you leaving it to chance? Maybe you should go see a doctor. I find what your talking about unusual. Head pain? That doesn't sound good. You could have had an aneurism or something and don't even know it.

If your still having problems, then I wouldn't just sit around and hope it turns out okay. That sounds risky to me.

3. Isabel

Isabel Member

Normally, I would say you need to depressurize your ears... but your situation sounds a little extreme. See the doctor.

For less extreme situations: it's probably the ears adjusting to the air pressure up there and not readjusting when the plane comes down. In lifeguard training, for equalizing the pressure deep under water, they taught us to pinch our nose and then try to blow air out anyway. It can't go through your nose, so... it goes through your ears. This works well for me on planes. Be careful, of course, and don't do this too hard.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Good point. He probably is just suffering from after-effects(sinus pain, hearing issues) with regard to a problem equalizing the pressure in his ears. This could be caused by some kind of sinus blockage or other problem. Usually, those symptoms clear up in 24-48 hours from what I've been reading. You may be an extreme case. This is just a hypothetical guess obviously.

5. Fatty FatBastard

I had a similar problem a few years ago. I went to the doctor, and found that I had a severe wax buildup. I got a water syringe, went home, and squeezed water into my ears as hard as I could.

It felt very weird, but the wax came out, and my hearing was back to normal.

That would be my suggestion. They sell water syringes at every pharmacy for like 5 bucks, and it can't hurt to try that before you see a doctor.

6. SLA

SLA Member

I don't have any problems flying airplanes...but it SUPERMAJOR BORING.

I hate cruises though. Seasick...

Hope you get better HTR3

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I have always had this weird talent of accumulating unbelievable amounts of earwax. For the longest time, my old doctor (he has been retired for a good time) would always ask me if I could hear him when I would have a checkup because he would see so much wax.

From time to time, it gets so bad that I have to clean them out, but Fatty, I don't use water, I use hydrogen peroxide.

Using hydrogen peroxide helps loosen the wax, but you have to lean on each side for it to drain. Then you use a syringe filled with warm water to flush them out.

I am betting that Htown is having sinus problems; definitely see a doctor to check it out.

8. Fatty FatBastard

Manny, I used the peroxide thing, also. It did NOTHING! (at least not to me.) That's why I went to a doctor. I thought it was more serious.

9. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

thanks guys. I'll check out the thing at the drug store to clear the wax from my hears. You guys are the best, well appreciated the advice.

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

While we're on the ear stuff....Anyone ever had a cholesteotoma(sp?). It's basically a tumor in your ear. I had one about 6 years ago, it was pretty bad, and wasn't fun.:mad:

11. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

they also sell this product at stores (at least at HEB) that you just put a few drops of into each ear, lean to that side for a while and then it drains back out with the wax that dissolved in it. my roommate bought it one time b/c for some reason it intrigued him and he made me use it during it's initial test run (i guess so if it messed up his ears mine would be messed up too, i don't know). it worked well. don't know what it was called though.

as for flying on planes, only one thing has ever kept my ears equalized well. holding my hands over my ears. however, you have to start about 15 minutes before you land, you're arms get tired, and you look stupid. hence, i never do it now and i just used the chewing gum method. sorta works but i still have to wait a few hours after landing to get the real good pop in that gives you your full hearing back. it's always weird b/c you've become so used to that volume level you don't even realize how quiet everything seems during that period.

12. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Hydrogen Peroxide?

13. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

it's weird. I'm sitting there watching other people talk to each other and they don't seem to be having any trouble at all and when the person next to me says something, I don't even know they are talking to me. I either have to read their lips or htey have to yell. Pretty sad.

14. fatman510

fatman510 Member

Did you have a cold at the time?
    My friend had a cold and when he was descending in an airplane flight his eardrum popped. He is now deaf in his left ear.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You need to Val Salvo (sp?) like a diver swimming down clamp your thumb and forefinger over your nose keep your mouth closed and blow out until your ears pop equaling out the pressure. As for cleaning your ears use everclear grain alcohol by far the best thing to use. Hydrogen peroxide is almost a waste of time, even rubbing alcohol is better.

I've popped my left eardrum 3 times and lost 30% of my hearing. Two were pin-holes one was a full rupture when I jumped off a big cliff and shot under water too deep too fast. Hearing things with a ruptured ear drum is a bizarre experience. Your friend must have had a extremely bad rupture to go completely deaf. It is an extremely painful experience... :(

16. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

last time i flew, as we were landing in anchorage, i felt like my face was going to fall off. horrible stinging pain. i guess it was just sinus pain, it went away about 5 mins after we were on the ground, but its not something id ever want to feel again.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

From the tumor I had, I lost 40% of my hearing outta my left ear. I can still hear okay, It's just hard for me to recognize where the sound is coming from sometimes. I usually think they are coming from the opposite direction they really are. This really sucks when deer hunting.:)

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

You probably just have a sinus or Eustacian tube blockage that won't allow your inner ear to equalize the air pressure. Try taking a decongestant, like Sudafed before you fly.

It could be that you have a sinus infection. My experience is they can only be diagnosed by an ENT using an x-ray of your head and require a pretty heavy dose of antibiotics to cure.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It surprises me how much of an effect a 30% loss has (its worse now I was tested years ago)...talking on the phone right ear, dinner try to get everyone sitting to my right, talking with anyone in a loud situation I lean so my right ear catches more of the sound--otherwise its huh? what? its annoying sometimes, but you adapt quickly.

I always take an Actifed, Sudafed never worked very well for me, it has to do with the non-drowsy business.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Flying into Hong Kong many years ago, before they built a new airport (at least I think they have), I thought my head was going to explode. I had to be helped off the plane. It's a VERY steep descent to a runway that goes straight out into the water. There are mountains behind and all around (damn gigantic hills, at any rate) that leave no room for error. The pilots always earned their salary flying into HK. After awhile the pain subsided, although I felt weird for a couple of days. Weirder than usual. ;)

Now I always chew gum. Of course, you could have a load of earwax in there the size of a Greek olive. :p