1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paging IT Proffessionals - IE Remote Desktop / Virtual Machines

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by larsv8, Jul 2, 2021.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Sooo the Pandemic has been interesting for me.

I have been working from home for the past 16 months and frankly it has been awesome.

My primary job is busy about 40% of the time, and 60% of time pretending to be busy. Because of this I took on another contract gig which also requires about 40% of my time. Its basically doubled my income. Since my desk is large and I have multiple docking stations and six monitors, I am easily able to be responsive for both jobs, while performing all the required tasks timely.

There has been some discussion about returning to the office part time, and I am trying to figure out if I can keep this going.

Can I remote desktop into a Home PC from work laptop, and then from there remote into the second job laptop, which would be stationed at home? Is there some sort of software to manage this? Do business networks block remote desktops?

2. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

From an IT perspective, I wouldn't let you on my assignment's network just to remote into another company's network to do two jobs at the same time. It poses too many security vulnerabilities and can be tracked. It's an especially bad idea if the type of work you're doing involves for instance healthcare patient access records or other forms of work that require client confidentiality that you don't want to run the risk of being breached.

That said, if you wanted to keep your gig running without using a work network to remote into another company's network, then you'd need to opt into an unlimited hotspot plan, and use your phone's connection to tether and remote in with on a separate personal laptop. This is assuming you trust whatever personal data you're responsible for at your work is safe from being hacked on a mobile hotspot network that you remote in with. I imagine you'd draw the eyes of suspicion among coworkers at your cubicle having a personal laptop remoted in along with a work laptop in your workstation though.

If you have unlimited data with hotspot tethering capabilities on your phone, but haven't opted into unlimited hotspot data transferring while on a Windows machine you can open a command line prompt and put in the following to give yourself unlimited hotspot data transfer:

netsh int ipv4 set glob defaultcurhoplimit=65

netsh int ipv6 set glob defaultcurhoplimit=65

Most mobile companies track hotspot usage by tracking the hop limit. The default hop limit is 64. If you tether from your phone, the hoplimit of data transfer goes from phone at 64, to your windows machine at 63. Therefore it knows you're using hotspot to data transfer. By setting the default hop limit to 65, you trick mobile companies into think the 64th hop to your windows machine is your mobile phone, thereby circumventing the data cap you likely have on your phone plan when you tether with it.

Personally speaking, I think it's a bad idea to continue both gigs especially if the type of work you're doing is sensitive in it's nature with respect to confidentiality.

The IT security network when I go into work blocks mobile phone connections on site, so even mobile connections are jammed. My idea wouldn't work in this case. It all really depends how seriously both of your jobs exercise caution and prevention with their IT security. And if they're lax, the following question is whether you should exploit their lax policies to keep that side hustle going given the nature of your jobs knowing it could eventually catch up to you and potentially damage your work reputation from that point forward.

TWS1986, Sajan and CCity Zero like this.
  3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah - in short hotspot/non-work network is only option to attempt this at an in person job (or adjust hours if one is really flexible etc)... Unless you have an extremely small business you go into and are head of networking/it and run everything it's not worth the risk of getting caught. I've seen people think they know how to bypass everything and while it might work for a while... It's not worth the one time slip up or the data breach (especially if you're dealing with important customer/health - really any private data).

I think if main job actually makes you go in part time the easiest solution will be working a little longer hours on the side if they're flexible, that way you can still somewhat do both but not get burned out. Ie- work 3 days from home and do a lot of side gig during that time and if side gig is really flexible on hours work after hours on days you're in office etc.

#3 CCity Zero, Jul 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    Xerobull likes this.
  4. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

5. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Screw The Man...TeamViewer and keep cashin' those checks.

Xerobull likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

How can I work my pharmacy benefits manager position and make money from my OnlyFans account at the same time?

The switching has become tedious.

CCity Zero, Sajan and Xerobull like this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Monetize said account by selling t-shirts and subscriptions to Nord VPN

i has seminar i train while on my yacht

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Chrome Remote Desktop.

You should play hardball though. There’s a workforce shortage and people are demanding 100% WFH. It’s a big selling point with any recruiter who contacts me. **** going in to an office to assuage your should-be-retired old fashioned boss’s insecurities.

CCity Zero and boomboom like this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

You sir have made a sale!

Invisible Fan likes this.
  10. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Back to the office for me. Ain't no accounting hotties up in my crib.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This is a good idea. I've been using the extra time at home to do grad school work but I'll hopefully be done by Feb '22. My job is now permanently at-home so I might do something like this when school is done.

12. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

No at home for me anymore either.