1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paging Codman?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROXTXIA, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

it was a lot to give up for a guy who could have signed for nothing ...maybe. the thing is, we just don't know all of the factors in the negotiation. But the end result was absolutely a good one; so i'm gonna give Morey the benefit of the doubt.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  2. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Or Morey didn't consider the impact of the Phil firing (it came first, right?)
    If Phil was still there, then for sure Melo's a goner. But I honestly believe in his heart staying in NY is what he prefers

3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

For sure still having Dekker would have been nice, but as small as his contract is, I feel it was still necessary to make the numbers work no? Didn't we just barely make the numbers work?
    Cuz yeah we could have had a much easier time trading Anderson if we attached Dekker in a package with him

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

I guess the problem was also that if we can't move Anderson, we can't get Paul. We had like 12M in cap space, we would have been forced to dump Lou + Ariza + Gordon to have enough cap space for Paul.

It really seems like Anderson contract basically killed our flexibility.

kjhwang and Reeko like this.
  5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Technically, you're right, our roster would seem to have improved. Doesn't change the fact that he could have done better. Now, before you go apeshit on me, we don't know what exactly went down, true, but you can't deny looking at it now it appears we attached too much to the Chris Paul package without knowing who else we were going to grab.

6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

For christ sake OKC got Paul George for Oladipo and Sabonis! and PG never said "I'm going to Oklahoma one way or another"
    Chris Paul did exactly that with us!

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Chris Paul easily could have changed his mind in favor of SA or even just going back to LA. Still love the trade.... Not everything is about 2017-2018. Personally, I think we have a great shot at LBJ next year as long as we play well.

Waiting for CP3 would have been dumb.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

if Harden and CP3 can't convince Melo to force his way to Houston and leave that sorry Knicks team then there's no saving him...winning means nothing

he hasn't even been in the playoffs since 2013

I'm at the point where I'm hoping a Melo trade can get done

gatsby likes this.
  10. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

No need to go apeshit....i just don't be think a lot of y'all are considering into other variables that might be worth considering. As you said we don't know exactly what went down.

A) the move saved us $10m in salary since CP opted in. Seems that $10m is pretty important now that we're bumping that hardcap wouldn't you say?

B) we might need to consider that CP didn't want to sign a multi year deal right now and this was the one way for us to get the deal done to accommodate him and the clips

C) securing CP before the FA period was needed to secure legit conversations with 3rd players in FA and doing so is the price of business.

You guys complain when morey doesn't do enough and when the man "ups the teams risk profile" y'all forget this is what risk means. Would you rather him sit on assets and go the way of ainge? Maybe that would have been better, maybe not. Can't fault the man for committing one way and going all in. Better than half-a$$ing it.

11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Again, I understand that. A lot of us are just saying why include everything? You're telling me if the Clips were getting Dekker and Harrell (two rookie contracts) and Bev (bargain contract) and Lou (decent player on expiring) and Morey didn't include the 1st Rd pick they would have walked away?? They weren't going to have cap space anyway! Most of the time I can stay reasonable and say "we don't know what actually happens behind closed doors", but I am very positive Clips were still going to take that. Hindsight is 20/20, sure, but damn with the way free agency is playing out and what other teams are giving up it's hard not to be pissed.

12. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Great post. Plus people forget that to sign Paul we still needed to clear salary.

Embrace the clutch likes this.
  13. Houston09

Houston09 Member

Codman where are you? You post 530 am but are gone all day.

14. MasterBindo

MasterBindo Member

lol, when I went to bed last night everything seemed so promising. Now we don't even got Nene :(

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Codman is probably trying to convince Nene to take the three year deal with no bird rights lol

16. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

Nothing wrong with that man. Literally nothing wrong with a trade. If we are successful in dropping Anderson and taking Melo in a trade, then that's still an improvement.

Now the absolute best case scenario is that we would land Melo after a buyout. This would give us plenty of cap space to work magic with. In fact we could opt to not even trade Anderson at that point.

Anyways I'm not so positive he would come to Houston if he was bought out anyways. Apparently we don't have free agents lined up outside of Toyota center wanting interviews. The ones that actually move the needle are mostly gone at this point. We were never getting JJ Redick and I think it's safe to say we aren't getting Ibaka either, the dude is wanted. Gallinari will cost too much. We currently don't even have Nene. Though I think ultimately the Rockets will either slide him some dosh under the table or simply pay the man 5 mill a year for 3 years.

We're looking at Alex Len, Ben McLemore, CJ Miles (maybe)... just a bunch of 'wont move the needle' moves. The best thing we can offer is 11 mill, the second best is around 8, that's not a lot to get a needle moving player.

I hope Morey can finish strong, it's day 1 of free agency and I am not feeling like we're doing much else. We still have a wonderful roster, don't get me wrong here, just through the scope of free agency I don't believe there's much left for us.

17. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Exactly. We got Chris Freaking Paul, and dumbarses are still calling for Morey's head. We could've been a lot worse situation:

1. We waited and CP3 changed his mind
    2. We waited but couldn't clear enough salary to absorb CP3 as a FA. We're seeing first hand right now how hard it is to move Ryno
    3. We didn't land any big names and only able to make marginal improvements
    4. So on and so forth......

Off-season is still young. Sit back and watch Morey do his thing. Worst comes to worst, we can still enjoy THE BEST back court duo next season. Stop whining.

HakeemOnlyFan and Patience like this.
  18. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

If the Rockets can't offer 4 yr deal, can other teams? Take care of yourself Codman. Really hope Rockets can get Nene back and work a new deal. If Nene is taking flight, I hope you still have Rockets insight in other ways.

19. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Cod was up pretty late last night. Probably catching up on much needed sleep.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Bro nobody sleeps for 15 hours lol. I'm guessing he's just refraining from posting until he figures more out. Probably upset about Nene. Hopefully he's feeling okay.

lionaire likes this.