1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paging Another Brother, Sinbad and Mark Curry were underrated comics in the 90s

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Jul 23, 2015.

1. VanityHalfBlack

I don't care what anybody says, Sinbad and Mark Curry is funny.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pJVexJ-JYAE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Still trying to find this gem, I remember recording this on VHS, but this bit was gold!!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/x7Hn4_c3ib4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

They're both best-case scenarios for working comics: with multi-year sitcoms, which is a full on miracle regardless of ratings or network, and continuous, nationwide headlining work for multiple decades. I saw Curry at Funny Bone in Omaha around '05 and it's always impressive to see bona fide pros at this workshop and deliver a solid routine for an hour or so. But there's very little in those clips that would seem original or compelling today. I think you can say that the era and brand of comedy itself was underrated for its novelty in the early '90s, and Sinbad and Curry demonstrated their competence in and outside of those specific settings, but there's no real greatness in either case.

3. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

personally I don't think AB was underrated

4. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

The Cherokee Kid is the best movie ever.

5. Asian Sensation

Not a brother but I agree.

6. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

When I was 22 a couple of buddies and got tickets to see what we thought was the Ohio Players and Sinbad at a state fair in Michigan. It was one day after the Rockets drafted Yao, I had been up all night writing after that, and I needed a break from the season. We loaded the car with beer and drove up to Chicago, had a little too much fun the night before the show and were late to the fair as we worked off our hangovers the next day.

We thought it was Sinbad opening up for the Ohio Players, because Sinbad sucks and the Ohio Players are awesome. Instead, it was the other way around. We missed the Ohio Players, whom we drove for hours to see, only to have to take Sinbad playing to a mostly white audience of old people in lawn chairs. We were PISSED.

Sinbad didn't suck, though. He was flipping fantastic. Hilarious. And we were all into alt-comedy and the like at the time, only making a concession for Brian Regan (whom we listened to on the drive up), and Sinbad was far from cool in our eyes. But his set was absolutely killer.

A buddy of mine that is an awesome stand up comic, Geoff Tate, is hardly a Sinbad-styled clean comic, but he made a long pilgrimage last year to drive through awful winter weather up here to see Sinbad at a giant theatre in Michigan, and he reported that he killed.

Hilarious and underrated.

7. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I saw Sinbad at SXSW watching a LOLAWOLF show this past March. There were maybe 100 people at the show. No one bothered to take a photo with him or talk to him either. Actually I don't think most of the younger people even knew who he was. I gave him dap as I was leaving. In fairness, Adrian Grenier from Entourage was at the same show and he was left alone as well.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I've seen Owen Wilson and Harrelson together at a dive bar in Austin on a reguler weekend and nobody cared either. As long as there aren't college kids around nobody cares.

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

Does another brother still have a pager?

11. VanityHalfBlack

^Hah! I think seeing Def Comedy Jam really got me into Stand Up comedy. I've seen stand up before when I was a kid in the 80s but I just didn't get it yet. Then came Def Comedy Jam and man I've never seen that style or brand of comedy before. Def Comedy Jam is probably one of the favorite series of all time. Loved it, side splitting laughter. I wish AB can give us some scoop on the behind the scenes action of the days of Def Comedy Jam.

12. lean

lean Member

Those guys are really funny. Also Mitch Hedberg.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

14. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

My best friend growing up looked exactly like hangin with mr. Cooper