1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Pagan Origins

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JeffB, Jan 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. bongman

bongman Member

Yes, I did get the message. You can interpret the bible anyway you want as long as it fits your rhetoric or it doesn't really matter if it doesn't makes sense.

2. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The circles I came up in emphasized that to truly understand the impact of each story, each gesture, required cultural context. The more enlightening ministers would draw modern parallels to put the interpretation into "our" context so we could understand what it meant for someone as revered as the savior to wash the woman's feet. The story needed extra info not in the bible to work.

History matters in many, different ways.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Figure out the application for yourself. In your own context. In the context that arises. I'm not interested in religion and lording words over you to tell you how to act in every situation. ARe you generally a person who promotes peace? Do you seek peace? Do you seek the peace, ultimately, even for people who might wish you harm? Then you're a peacemaker. Awesome. I'd say that's pretty much in line with what Jesus is asking of people...or better said, what Jesus is saying is a better way to live.

But I'm not going to tell you to take every single situation in your life and map out how you're going to respond. If you're working on your inside enough to be someone of peace, love, etc....then the stuff that you do will come from that. Except when it doesn't, because we all screw up.

This in incorrect...the earliest Christians were not called gnostic. Gnosticism existed in certain fringes of the movement. There are all sorts of debates about the level of its influence. We do have writings where early Roman leaders and others referred to Christians as Nazarenes (reflecting the area from where Jesus grew up)...they were called disciples amongst themselves..different sources I've read suggest they weren't called Christians until about the 2nd centruy or last 1st century at the earliest. Acts suggests they were first called Christians at Antioch.

If you read Acts too, you see them referring to the faith as "The Way." That gets repeated quite a bit in Acts.

4. MadMax

Well said. I agree entirely.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's probably true. I think our goals in this conversation are different. I'm not interested in human progress; I'm more interested in the epistemology. If 100 years from now, everyone agrees that Christianity was a Stone Age meme, it may be important but I don't find it interesting and I'm not trying to speak to it. Everyone agreeing and humanity progressing doesn't make it true.

What I'm hearing is that there is no logical construct on which a fundamentalist doctrine can be built. I don't believe that. I don't see fundamentalists as recalcitrants who won't acknowledge the obvious; they start from different axioms and a much different intepretation results. I don't believe they're right, but I also can't disprove them. I don't think that's a middle way at all. I think it's just a reminder to people to not oversimplify or stereotype.

As for the atheists, I wasn't even thinking of you. I don't even remember who they are by name, but I've been in enough religion threads here to know they always come out in threads where someone wants to educate on the real roots of Christianity.

1 person likes this.
  6. JeffB

Supporting Member

I hear you.

We know Christianity and Abrahamic religions are based on Stone Age memes. That is no longer in question, except by fundamentalists. Relying in second hand story telling and misinterpretations of Greek and Hebrew texts is not truth. We know the text is inaccurate. We know it is fraught with contradictions and has been the product of political councils over centuries. We know that building a system of knowledge on these old texts is like building one on Aesop's fables or Grimm's tales or L. Ron Hubbard's science fiction.

We can retreat into the ontological paradoxes inherent in epistemological concerns, but that is sidestepping the question at hand. It is up to the party making the claim (X religion is true, There is an X in the sky) to prove the claim is true. Not the opposite. If not, then why not concern ourselves with how certain can we really be that there really is no Flying Spaghetti Monster? Or Zeuss? Or Xenu?

The level of evidence and documentation we accept for religious belief is laughable. In every other facet of life, we require evidence and reason, but applying these to religion is out of bounds. One starts talking religion and facts suddenly become fuzzy, established historical methodology becomes unreliable, or not applicable.

Progression is about epistemology. It is about making sure that what we know tomorrow is more accurate than what we know today. That may not matter enough to the individual in the now, simply because change can be slow. But for someone so concerned its epistemological concerns, I would think you would appreciate how scientific and historical knowledge has clarified the grounds upon which you and I get to pontificate. I short: we have the advantage of standing in the shoulders of giants when we investigate our world.

History and science, evidence, matters in epistemological concerns regarding truth. We know that belief does not require truth and belief itself does not make something true. But justification and the empirical methods humans have created over millennia can help us in that search. The whole reason we have systems for verifying knowledge is due to epistemological problems.

Rejecting evidence because it does not match our belief is not searching for truth. To run without requiring evidence, without justification, is a gnostic exercise in self-knowing, in belief, not truth.

1 person likes this.
  7. bongman

bongman Member

This discussion (other cheek) was started because it is implied that Jesus' teaching is different than the Hindus version of non-violence. Non violence and peace is always preferable. Our disagreement is the practicality of this methodology and that in no way it is any different than non violence message that the Hindus started which predated Christianity.

I think you are referring to post Constantine Christians. The one's I was talking about were the Jewish Christians that basically started following the teachings of Jesus. These were the same people persecuted by the Romans. They all had different belief systems.

8. MadMax

Honestly, I don't care. I believe in God and I understand God through the person of Jesus. Awesome if that revelation is similar in Hinduism...and in many ways I believe it is.

I'm not referring to post-Constantine Christians at all. Acts covers events before Constantine...and the letters and communications from Roman leaders referencing followers of Jesus as a gigantic pain in the ass were definitely pre-Constantine.

There were differences among them for sure...there are still differences today...there was and is a common core among most, though.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can interpret the bible anyway you want to. There is nothing at all stopping you from doing that. I'm sorry if what's being said here doesn't make sense. To some people it does make sense. If it doesn't for you, I don't hold that against you at all.

#69 FranchiseBlade, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  10. MadMax

I've mentioned this before...I know a guy who is a freaking genius in the field of nanotechnology. Seriously..the kind of guy you talk with and realize you have very little to add to any conversation with him. He's bright beyond my understanding.

He grew up Jewish and became convinced that Jesus was who he claimed to be.

He believes in a Creator.

That's not the point of me telling you that...not to suggest he's smarter than you and me so we should defer to him because he must have all the answers. I'm not saying that, I promise.

He has colleagues who are NOT believers who I'm sure are equally if not smarter than he is.

I asked him once how they treat him regarding his beliefs....he told me that the soft science guys...the sociologists and psychologists tell him vehemently he's wrong. He says, with his own commentary, that those guys already have their own Bible in the works of Skinner and Freud.

But he says his colleagues in the hard sciences say that his "best guess" (which derives from his faith) is every bit as legitimate as theirs. That the "why" question that isn't answered by hard science is up for grabs....and that it's not a competition between science and faith to get there. He finds his faith confirmed in theories like the Big Bang...nothing into something. Ex nihilio.

That's just his experience that he shared with me. Of course that's not exhaustive of human experience or the embodiment of truth. Antecdotal to be sure. Just interesting to me.

Fascinating guy.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I really like this story, even the 2nd time. It squares with my experience working in the hard sciences. It squares with how I view the universe as a physicist.

I truly believe that if someone feels confident as an atheist and/or feels that faith of any kind is ridiculous, then they simply don't know enough about what we have learned so far about the universe.

The "why" question, as Max says, has only become more profound. I would even say it becomes more scary decade to decade.

I just read the wonderful biography of Einstein by Walter Isaacson (cannot recommend it enough.) Einstein drifted into and out of faith, and he joked a lot about God throughout his life (always hard to tell what the guy was taking seriously), but he had a faith in a sort of order in the universe. When that faith was challenged (e.g. by the evolving reality of quantum mechanics), he became incredibly frustrated, and he went to his grave saying that such theories and systems may work but would always be "incomplete" until there was some beauty or deep order restored to them.

12. JeffB

Supporting Member

Exactly. He finds evidence for his belief from more than just a set of scrolls. I would be curious to know how he engaged the history of religions and why believe in Jesus but not Buddha or Mohammed. Why stick with the Abrahamic lineage?

As for the soft vs. hard science element of the story. It is a nice special effect with an almost zen-like quality to it with just enough appeal to authority to make it worth re-telling. But, the story may reflect differences in domain knowledge and intellectual focus. The soft science folks spend more time dealing with the evidence of human history and cultural beliefs and dealing with the realities of how ideologies have historically affected human political economies, societies, and individuals. The hard science folks deal with concrete, often material problems, easily disconnected from historical and cultural questions. I doubt you'll find many historians having strong positions the merits of P-branes and multiverse theory. It is not in their purview to bother with that conversation. Hell, most hard science cats I know hate discussing politics, let alone religion. ;)

What I found more interesting for this thread, was not the existential question, but the daily practice of our religions. What parts we pick and choose to follow. How we dismiss various prescriptions as they no longer agree with our cultural values. How we differentiate between core belief and detailed expressions of a religious outlook. For that, I find looking the origins of the cultural institution useful.

No one, despite Dawkins' 99.9% certainty, can positively assert that there is no god. Just as no one can positively assert that there is one. But folks can look at evidence and see how the Christian, Muslim, and Buddhist myths compare the old Nordic beliefs, the roman pantheon, and the 99% of specific religious myth we no reject. Interestingly, I was introduced to the concept by a chemist. Another fascinating guy.

I wonder about God. Not Christian god. Or Hindu god. Just god without all the human baggage and dogma. God as Einstein searched for it. Not god as some ancient myths would have it. I do not consider myself Christian. But I don't consider myself godless, either.

I wondered how much this thread would go the route of a discussion of history of a cultural institution versus the route of atheism vs. belief. In my theological background, there is a separation between understanding how the culture of early Christians influenced the texts the present has inherited and the core belief in god or god men. I am actually surprised there wasn't more discussion that the persistence of the memes across religions suggests there is something there. The religions, what people make, clothe central truths that emerge in every search for god in every faith.

As I see it, God is a hypothesis. Unlike gravity, belief in god is proposition we accept or reject. And we seek evidence that the position we hold is true. We can never really know until we actually meet god. However, that happens. Anything else is just confirming best guesses. As you can see, I don't find Stone Age texts to be convincing enough to confirm best guesses. I require much more evidence than that.

But the complexities of the universe, M-theory, all fascinate me and engage my own personal wonder with God. In particular, even if we find god, is it a valid question to wonder where god came from? Would god have a god? Of course my little human brain can grasp it. Maybe someday some other human brain will.

I sincerely believe that anyone who is confident about a system of knowledge without engaging the origins of the system or what we know about the universe does themselves a disservice and are not availing themselves of what we know about the universe and earth.

And all of you who took the time to post and comment are fascinating. ;)

13. MadMax

You have to find your own "evidence." No way I can convince you though in the rational sense of an argument. Not even remotely interested in trying to.

#BeWell :) ha!!!!

14. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

You realize I'm not an athiest either, right? I get frustrated because people act like they only have two choices, not just with this but everything (Democrats-Rupublicans, black-white, etc...)

Just eliminate the middle man (i.e. how EXACTLY should I think religious book and religious leader?), still pray even if you don't like a religion and it's deity and live by pure love and see what happens. And by pray, I don't mean pray for selfish things but for things and people that will advance your spiritual progress.

15. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think there must be some kind of anamnesis going on with religion. Not the literal remembering but some kind of cultural/humanistic memory that steers belief and thought in a certain direction. Especially in the ancient world when so much knowledge was being posited and so much was based on a feeling of the world.

Physically the human body has always been a ruler for the surrounding world. Exact sizes differ but general proportions have an average and an ultimately determined "ideal" the became common across continents. So too was the human mind an epistemological ruler for the world. Again, differences exist but ultimately it is all the same electricity and wiring. How much of that is only internal and how much is also external? Does that have any play on the anamnesis?

And, again, the ancient (and well beyond understanding) of history often had very little to do with "fact". Accuracy didn't matter at all. In that kind of environment and with stories getting passed around the abstract nature of history speaks to the concrete nature of present. History as accurate telling of past events is ore of an 18th century movement.

I think the "why" question is tied to our human DNA. Why (or how) the why is there is way beyond my understanding. But it is interesting.

1 person likes this.
  16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Pagan origins; capitalist, democratic, egalitarian and rationalist outcomes.

17. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

heaven & hell, prophecy, demon possession, sacrifice, initiation by baptism, communion with god through a holy meal, the holy spirit, monotheism, immortality of the soul, and many other "christian" ideals belonged to earlier, older pagan faiths. they were simply part of ancient mediterranean culture.

if they were all myths... mithras, dionysus, attis, osiris, and orpheus to name a few... why was jesus all of the sudden not a myth?

i am not convinced jesus ever really existed - at least not in the way the bible says. he may have been a dude who was crucified or was a preacher of some kind, but considering the timeline of events and when the actual writings of the new testament are dated, i can't understand why people view the bible as infallible.

brainwash is powerful.

18. bongman

bongman Member

Since we are in the topic of origins, what do you guys think about the story of Gilgamesh and it's comparison to Noah's Flood? Is it conceivable that the story of Gilgamesh was passed down through generations, recycled by the Jews and just gave it a little makeover?

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes entirely possible. I know there are several different religions that have big flood stories.

20. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

I believe Yashua (Jesus) existed but many of the elements of the Bible from his story were exaggerated and interpolated (i.e. forged and added in) and like I said earlier in the thread, I think his mission was to show how one could rise up to god-like status and live out of pure love. Celebrating him in a cult of personalty is not getting people anywhere, otherwise we wouldn't have wars between the Catholics and Protestants or look at Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses funny because their interpretation is different.

Speaking of the Bible, especially the beginning of the Old Testament, many of those stories were passed down orally for centuries before finally being recorded. Remember, it wasn't like today where something is written and record via the 'Net at least every split second, as people didn't keep as many records (let alone weren't literate). And just like a game of Telephone and Rumors, many of the real facts were lost and/or changed as time went on before reaching the final draft.

Additionally, travel was obviously much harder, which only compounded the above. That's why the stories of the Bible took on added importance because not only was it a written record of Hebrew genealogy but people (even the priest class in some cases) didn't have access to the mass produced religious teachings until the printing press was invented 500 or so years ago. And like I said, travel was tough and there was zero electronic communication before the last century and a half, so the teachings of the Bible were all people had.

Today, the Bible lives on by tradition as it has been so highly regarded for the last two millenniums thanks in large part to the factors I named above. But now people have access to spiritual teachings from across the globe and can help uplift each other's minds thanks to the internet (both on it and talking to people in person).

1 person likes this.