1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Padres @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 4, 2005.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I just can't do it. I don't like the Cubs and I want them to go 0-162 no matter who they play.

I would think the first priority would be to get into 2nd place. Then you can concern yourself with the wild card. No 2nd place, no wild card no matter what teams in other divisions are doing.

Regardless, the Astros need to worry about themselves. They just need to continue winning ballgames. No one should really be worrying about the scoreboard until September.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I was wondering who they were going to pitch in place of May. Why did the have to include Redding in the deal for Quantrill? We could have had a guaranteed victory if he replaced May in the rotation against us. :p

3. Major

Major Member

I find it odd that an Astros fan is talking about how the Cubs suck when they have a better record than us and have been missing two of their best players the majority of the season. :confused:

4. Major

Major Member

I disagree - you have to get yourself closer to the top wildcard team - the rest of the teams don't matter in the end. If you don't catch the top guy, it doesn't matter whether you are 2nd or 3rd in your division. Better to let the Cubs catch the Braves and us be 3 back of both of them than 6 back of the Braves and tied with the Cubs.

Besides which, we'll have multiple opportunities to catch the Cubs head-to-head - I don't think we play the Braves anymore this year.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

i'm no mathematician but, with the Cubs playing Braves in final week, it would be mathematically better to be in 2nd and more games out.
    assume: braves and cubs have a tie breaker to make things clearer.

Braves -
    Astros 2
    Cubs 3

Ways to get in:
    Cubs 3-0 Astros 3-0

or

Braves -
    Cubs -
    Astros 1

ways to get in
    None

6. Major

Major Member

This would be true if we were in the final weekend, but we're a long way off from that. Assuming we win the next 3 with the Padres, then we have two scenarios:

Cubs win the next 3 vs. the Braves:

Braves - WC
    Cubs - 2
    Astros 3

Braves win the next 3 vs. the Cubs:

Braves - WC
    Astros - 6
    Cubs - 8

In the first scenario, we have to play 3 games better than the Braves the rest of the way, and 2 games better than the Cubs. We get to play the Cubs, so we have the chance to dominate them head-to-head, so basically, we have to outplay the Braves by 3 games.

In the second scenario, we have to win 6 more games than the Braves the rest of the way, but can be slightly outplayed by the Cubs. But unless the Cubs go on a run, if we outplay the Braves by 6, we probably have outplayed the Cubs anyway.

Which is better - having to outplay the Braves by 3 or by 6?

7. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Who cares? At least we are talking about the playoffs again. Who would of guessed that last month? NOT ME!!!!

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

but you're man enough to say that!!! instead of saying:

1. uh...man...that wild card sure is a good deal...look at all those teams that have a chance...like ummm...the astros. yeah. the astros have a chance. (this after putting a tombstone on the cover of your flipppin paper -- not that you have a paper...but then again, you might)...

2. i knew it all along! i knew the astros would win. you may have heard me say something different, but you just misunderstood. i knew they would be right where they are, fighting for a playoff spot.

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Well, maybe if Barrett wasn't spewing his trap in the pre-season about how much better the Cubs are than the Astros, then I wouldn't have to call out the fact that we're only 1 game behind them at mid-season after playing some of our worst stinkball ever early in the season. As far as injuries go, that's no excuse. The other players have to step up. That's what good ball clubs do except...the Cubs aren't a good ball club or they would have done that. I'm just pointing out that Barrett's talk doesn't match the Cub's bite.

10. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Well the Stros may have caught a break.

Just heard on the radio here in San Diego that Jake Peavy is supposed to be feeling pretty sick and they were not sure if he'd pitch tomorrow or not. He then came on the radio and said he was definitely going to pitch. It could be a great opportunity for the Stros to catch Peavy on a bad day if they can take advantage tomorrow.

11. Willy92683

Willy92683 Member

HR Biggio his 12th of the year and 2nd in as many days. :)

2-1 Astros in the bottom of the 5th as the stros chase reyes out of the game

12. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Thank you Jason Lane :)

5-1 Stros!

13. Willy92683

Willy92683 Member

Jason Lane homers on the first pitch he sees (14th of the year)

5-1 Astros End of 5

14. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Taveras should get some sort of credit for that 6th run. Without his play at second, it doesn't come home.

15. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Is it a coincidence that Berkman is back and we are winning?

16. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Lidge. Lidge. Lidge. Good to see him out there.

17. Willy92683

Willy92683 Member

To answer your question, probably not

Seeing Lidge in the 7th is a bit weird, but at least he got the Padres out 1-2-3

18. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

Doing great Gallo :mad:

19. Buck Turgidson

Yes, they had some tough luck with injuries, all teams do. Berkman missed the first month & spent a good part of the second playing himself back into form. Half the freaking team caught pneumonia over the span of a month. You play through it & don't make excuses.

None of this changes the fact that the Cubs do indeed suck. But, er, for the next couple of games, go Cubs!

I feel dirty.

20. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I don't care if the Cubs go undefeated for the season with their entire pitching staff injured, they still suck.