1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pacquiao vs. Dela Hoya (if it happens)

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by bratna8, Aug 21, 2008.

?

Pacman or Golden Boy

1. Pacquiao

31 vote(s)
    73.8%
  2. Dela Hoya

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  1. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Who do you think will win?

2. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

i tied up the poll.

de la hoya, just cuz hes one of my favorite athletes. and everyone likes seeing the big star go down.

3. bratna8

bratna8 Member

I think Dela Hoya is the bigger star

4. spydermex

spydermex Member

wouldnt pacquiao be way too quick for de la hoya?

5. Dei

Dei Member

De la Hoya's half a foot taller.

6. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Yes he would be. Oscar is much bigger though, and would need to utilize the jab to counter Pacman's speed. I am sure this would end in a decision. Both fighters can take punches pretty well. Unless of course Pac lands a clean body punch and then its lights out for Oscar.

I would rather see Oscar fight Margarito. But I am sure Oscar doesn't want to retire on a stretcher.

Anyway, Pacman would probably win. Also you have to consider the drastic weight one of these fighters would either have to put on or take off. Oscar is a Jr. Middleweight right now and Pacman just moved up to 135. Thats a good 20 pounds of difference.

Prediction is Pacquiao by decision if it happens (and it probably won't). I honestly just want to see Oscar get the **** beat out him like Cotto did. But I don't think Oscar is dumb enough to fight Margarito.

7. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

Pacquaio is looking for a better exit strategy. win or lose, pacqquio wins this fight.

8. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

i agree i would rather see margarito vs de la hoya. theyre both big fighters and de la hoya has always wanted to fight the best boxer, i dont know why hes dodging him tho.

any anouncements will probably be done after the olympics. i read it is really close to a deal with pacman

9. bladeage

There are lots of reasons why Oscar is ducking Margarito. For one, Margarito is way too strong for him. Oscar fights better when he is the bigger guy. Also, the amount of money that will be made from a fight with Pacman is a hell of alot more than one with Margarito. Pacman will jump on it even if he is at a disadvantage, because it will be his biggest payday.

It will be stupid for DLH though because he will probably dominate him if he can use his jab correctly. If that happens it will not prove anything. Only that he can beat up on a little guy. I guess he figures he has always lost against legit opponents, and since this would be considered a legit opponent, he might as well get one before he retires. This is bad for his legacy, but will be good if Pac can get the win.

Diaz vs Katsidis should be a fun one to watch though! Can't wait!

10. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

Bigger star indeed!
    [​IMG]

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I think PAC-MAN is too fast for OsCarr. :eek:

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

De La Hoya Reportedly to fight PACQUIAO :eek:

LOS ANGELES (TICKER) —Boxing’s biggest star will apparently take on one of the sport’s best pound-for-pound fighters.

Golden Boy Promotions is set to announce Oscar De La Hoya’s next opponent on Thursday, with multiple sources reporting that it will be Manny Pacquiao.

De La Hoya (39-5, 30 KOs), who has won titles in six different weight classes, has repeatedly said that he would retire after his final bout on December 6.

But finding an opponent has been difficult for the “Golden Boy” after Floyd Mayweather, Jr. chose to retire instead of accept a rematch.

A top draw among pay-per view fans, Pacquiao (47-3-2, 35 KOs) was an early target as an opponent for De La Hoya. But the talks seemed to dissipate after the two sides could not come to an agreement on the percentage of the purse, according to ESPN.com.

Other parts of the negotiations had reportedly been agreed on, with the fighters meeting at a catch-weight of 147 pounds and using eight-ounce gloves, according to ESPN.

De La Hoya has fought at 150 pounds or more for each of his last nine fights and has not been at 147 since a fifth-round technical knockout victory over Arturo Gatti on March 24, 2001.

Pacquiao has won belts in five different weight classes but has never fought above 135 pounds.

The “Pac Man” has won his last seven fights with his most recent victory coming over David Diaz on June 28.

De La Hoya is 3-3 in his last six fights. He defeated Steve Forbes via a unanimous decision on May 3.

13. Asian Sensation

Pacman duh. They don't call him the "Mexican Assassin" for no reason.

14. bladeage

I don't remember him "assassinating" any Mexicans.

Anyway, this fight is going to blow. Look for HBO to promote THE HELL out of this. If you thought the DLH vs Mayweather was bad, this will be even worse. It will be a very boring fight. These 2 are just not built for a good matchup together.

That's like putting Evander Holyfield against Joel Casamayor or something. It will be boring as hell because neither one will want to engage the other in their fight. They will just use their advantages to keep eachother at a distance and win rounds.

I don't think Pac has the power to really do anything to Oscar anyway. Oscar could knock out Pac but it won't prove anything. Pac will probably just stick and move and win by a boring ass decision.