1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pacers planning on signing Bynum.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Swishh, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Swishh

Swishh Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Pacers are planning to sign Andrew Bynum, sources told ESPN</p>&mdash; Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/statuses/429463297487036416">February 1, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Windhorst is credible.

2. Nook

Nook Member

It makes sense. Because of salary cap issues their window of opportunity is 1-2 years.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Awesome {or could be I guess}. Not sure they need him {but I guess better than letting him go to Miami?}

Indy has a good thing going {on the court obviously and chemistry wise}. Hope Bynum doesn't screw it up but I wouldn't be surprised if he did either.

And watch out Pacers' coaches? LOL

4. Swishh

Swishh Member

If they can make Stephenson behave, I believe they can make Bynum behave as well.

Although it may be kind of awkward at first..

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hearing Bynum wants Clippers or Heat. Good for them!</p>&mdash; Roy Hibbert (@Hoya2aPacer) <a href="https://twitter.com/Hoya2aPacer/statuses/418202987337883648">January 1, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Bad move. I hate it for the Pacers.

6. Swishh

Swishh Member

Hmmm...mind explaining why? He'd be a better backup than Mahinmi (who they might look to use as a trade chip) and signing him means he doesn't go to Miami. Why is this a bad move?

7. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

bynum just cares about a paycheck nothing more.

8. da_juice

da_juice Member

This might just be a ploy to keep him out of the Heat's hands. That's what I'd do, write him a check, keep him on the roster, and tell him to stay home.

9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The Cavs looked really terrible whenever Bynum was on the floor. The guy didn't move all that well when he was healthy, but now he can barely run and jump, much less move laterally.

I don't think he's a difference maker. For anyone, honestly; at this point I'm not sure it would be worth dealing with his crap just to block Miami from getting him.

10. pacertom

pacertom Member

in Bird I trust

He will have a no-nonsense heart-to-heart with the guy and a workout to see if he can give 10-12 minutes per game that are more effective than Mahinmi, at minimum salary.

one issue, then out the door

11. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Bynum wouldn't be a starter. Plus the Cavs were a horrible fit for him. The Pacers play a slower pace, they also are much better at post entry passes.

Bynum will be a back-up. If Hibbert gets in foul trouble they have a starter quality back-up.

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Pacers don't want him to sign with the Heat. The Legend is old-school dirty.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

1. I like the Pacers.

2. I strongly dislike Bynum, perhaps more than any other player in the NBA.

3. He might mess up their chemistry.

I suppose Larry Bird and David West can keep him in line. We'll see.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't really understand what they need him for. Insurance in case Hibbert gets injured? Or perhaps its just a way to prevent the Heat from signing him.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

16. JD88

JD88 Member

*has signed.

17. JD88

JD88 Member

He said the exact opposite a while back.

If he did, he would have never cost himself 12m by quitting on the Cavs.

His exact words were that he doesnt like basketball much anymore.

18. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

1. Cleveland plays at a slower pace than Indiana

2. Bynum's not a starter-quality backup

19. clippy

clippy Member

I love it. The most unlikeable player in the league goes to a team that was in danger of being another no-personaliity Spurs clone. This makes them much more hateable, and, by virtue, much more watchable.

20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I really like it. Very low risk (except media hype and exposure) and high reward. At worse you keep him from a competitor, most importantly Miami. Makes mahinmi expendable for assets/flexibility, IF, IF bynum plays average.

I like it, i like it alot.