1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Pacers & Houston (Cato for Choshere)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by carlit0, Jan 12, 2003.

?

Do you think this is a fair trade for the Rockets?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    7.9%
  2. No way!!

128 vote(s)
    92.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. carlit0

carlit0 Member

PACERS & HOUSTON(Cato for Choshere)

PACERS & HOUSTON?
    Austin Croshere appears to be back on the market, like he ever really left. Having played some 22 games this season, and serving his second stint of the Injured Reserve – bruised ribs - it seems the Pacers are looking to cash AC in for some beef in the front court – like they need it, take a look at their roster, the Pacers have 10 players 6’7 or larger and 6 players over 6’9. While in Orlando this week, a Rockets source confided that Indiana has made overtures toward Kelvin Cato, looking to swap Croshere for Cato almost straight up. The salaries almost match, with Croshere coming in at $6.6 million, and Cato at $6.8 million. Croshere has 5 years remaining on his deal, while Cato has 4 years on his deal. Its makes sense that Indiana who is facing a monster contract with Jermaine O’Neal that they would look to shed Croshere and his five years, but Houston sources say unless Indiana were to pony up some cash and draft pick, a deal is not likely to happen. Houston has tied its future to Yao Ming, and with his game becoming solid, parting with Cato for Croshere who may or may not still have game at the SF spot, might be the missing piece for Houston. Indiana sources would not confirm or deny such a deal, only to say they would evaluate any deal presented to them, but they were not actively shopping anyone.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_2403.shtml

I know we can get much more than this for Cato. I do not like this at all.
    And E.Griffin is still better, than no defense Choshere.

#1 carlit0, Jan 12, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2003
  2. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No.

I don't want Croshere, his game, his persona, his contract. Ugh.
    I hope to parlay Cato + into something mo' better.

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

We just traded one somewhat undersized PF, why would we want to deal a rare decent backup Center for another undersized PF?

As far as I see it, Croshere had one good playoff run the year the Pacers were in the finals, and since then he's been overrated.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. :rolleyes:

Why does hoopworld.com get so much pub on here?
    :eek:

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

carlit0 -- If you were reporting for CNN, would you post breaking news links to <a href="http://www.theonion.com" target="_blank">"The Onion"</a>?

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Cute idea. A servicable back up for a superfluous non-rotation guy. But the salaries work, so 'hey'.

Why not, KT for -- oops, forgot, he is already gone.

7. E.J. Tucker

E.J. Tucker Contributing Member

The Rockets have the best back up center in the NBA, and he is happy being the back up. WHY would anyone want to trade him?????

You know where there is a better back up center, Who??

8. eug2046

eug2046 Member

9. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

10. franchise?..NOT

Cato? Hell no. MoT maybe. Can Croshere play 4. What am I saying. MoT can't play 4 either.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

When I look at post contract Chroshere, it makes post contract Cato look like a bargain. :eek:

12. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Honestly, there's no way I'd trade Cato right now unless we got something REALLY good. Since Yao Ming got here, Cato's been a TOTALLY different player. He still has no offensive game, but he's really sparkled defensively, and he's arguably the best rebounder on the team. He's a GREAT backup for Yao Ming, and a very nice insurance policy to have if Yao Ming gets hurt (as happened last night).

13. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

We can't trade Cato for Crosher. Ming and Cato are the only centers on this team. Any deal involving Cato would have to include someone to play backup center.

14. rocketsrulz

rocketsrulz Member

Croshere sux, he's in Isiah's doghouse for that very reason. We need Cato to be a solid backup, heck, he's one of, if not the best backup centers in the league, IMO.

15. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Why don't we trade just for the sake of trading? Why don't we help the other team out by improving the one area they need help with? First Mighty Mouse, now Croshere, what other crap will someone come up with?

16. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Not with Bostjan Nachbar, Terence Morris, and don't forget, James Posey.

I'd rather try to see how far the Rockets can go with its current roster. If it doesn't work, then maybe next season, look for trades.

I'd rather trade for someone like Tony Parker or Earl Boykins. What would Calvin Murphy have to say?

Not Austin Croshere.

17. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

I know this has been said, but strategically, why would you want to trade Cato, who is your backup center and doing quite well at it, for a backup, underachieving, overpaid, large contract- strapped SF; when we have no other underachieving, backup, overpaid, large contract strapped center to play behind Ming?

The only problem with Cato at this point is his contract. He is performing very well and has been a pleasant surprise this year. I actually love his role and feel really positive when he comes off the bench. He has not hurt us and has only helped this year! To move him, it would take another center in the picture. I like Jeff Foster, Indiana's backup center from SW Texas, but he is a lightweight in the paint. He is undersized and would be a downgrade from Cato play wise. Croshere has not done anything in 3 years and is a real question mark at this point. I like him on this team, but not at the cost of our backup center.....

18. insider

insider Member

i would only trade cato for a lottery pick in the nba draft.

19. Nova

Nova Member

Hear hear! :)

20. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i dont belive any rumors that are written in hoopsworld. i think that they just make stuff up out of boredom. and as far as the rocket guy goes, i dont even think that he likes the rockets. even when they do well, he has something to b**** about.
    croshere is more overpaid than cato, who i think is doing a swell job.