1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pacers acquire Jeff Teague; George Hill to Utah in 3-team trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jun 22, 2016.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The #12 pick is at $1,931,900 and Jeff was at $8M which clears up $6,068,100 in cap space.</p>&mdash; hawks fanatic (@atlhawksfanatic) <a href="https://twitter.com/atlhawksfanatic/status/745687605447000066">June 22, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This has got to be a very poor regarded draft for the 12th pick to get such low value. George Hill is a nice player and all, but for a young up and coming team to skip their late lottery pick for a role player like Hill is kind of baffling. Hill can't be anyone's long term solution at point guard unless the rest of the starting five has 3 other superstars and another really good 4th player. Crazy time in the NBA, and Morey might not be joking about how "easy" it will be to move in the first round.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Milsap would be dynamite with Harden. Would fit like a glove.

4. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Makes very little sense for Utah to trade the #12 for Hill instead of Teague. Maybe they thought they couldn't hang onto Teague?

Teague is better than Hill.

5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

If Hill can get you the 12th pick. Capela should get us 6- 8th.

6. dobro1229

Hawks fans are probably fantasizing about signing max free agent superstars galore, but I would think this had very little to do with cap space. The fact is Teague had one year left on his deal, wasn't good enough to be the sole playmaker on a contending team, had probably peaked, and they have a backup behind him they probably want to see in an extended role.

They have to at this point be looking at Horford likely leaving, and them having to change directions. To me this just signals a move to the next generation.... not necessarily tanking, but the first step in retooling. Could still be just as competitive next year honestly. They've done a great job in the past of swapping parts and maintaining the treadmill of 50 win team bounced in the 1st or 2nd round.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jazz ranked 8th in Defense this season and they're adding George Hill with Hayward, Favors, Gobert, Hood etc. Rad</p>&mdash; Paul Garcia PS (@PaulGarciaPS) <a href="https://twitter.com/PaulGarciaPS/status/745690489802743808">June 22, 2016</a></blockquote>

8. Nook

Nook Member

Yup... but Les gets to tell everyone that his team made the playoffs.

9. dobro1229

Would be dumb to trade Capela. Centers are expensive as hell and you have one locked up less than 2 mil a year for the next 3 years. That gives you the ability to upgrade more important parts of the team.

Sure Capela likely wont be a superstar, but he's shown good signs that he's at least a competent rim protector & rebounder. I say hold onto him, and use the cost savings to upgrade the 1, 3, 4 spots which are much more important to what the Rockets need to do to win.

10. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Schroder is going to be next year's McCollum. He's a star in the making.

His per 36 min stats last year:

19.5 ppg
    7.8 assist
    4.5 rebounds
    1.6 steals

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'm sure they are fairly close. Hill is a better defender and is a better three point shooter, and plays more under control.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think the Jazz are desperately trying to make the playoffs, but they already have their pg in Exum, it's just that they cannot bet on him yet, and they probably prefer a solid guy like Hill rather than a guy like Teague which is more...centralizing? Not sure this is the right word to say what i want but probably it gives the idea.

Personally i'm not as high as other people here on Teague, he can do almost everything decently but nothing that well, i'm not saying he's bad, but i don't think he's that good either, especially when he's going to be a free agent with a 110 salary cap...

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree.

14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

George Hill for Utahs 12 pick , dang.. Thats not very good value.

15. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Well, he's made the playoffs every single year he's been in the NBA. Very durable player. He's a veteran leader. I see him and Mike Conley as pretty similar players, and people love Conley.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">ESPN sources say that the Hawks are now shopping both No. 12 and No. 21 in tomorrow night's draft</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/745695829789315072">June 22, 2016</a></blockquote>

17. malakas

malakas Member

What a great trade! WIN- WIN - Larry Bird's version of WIN for all teams involved! Well done for the GMs.

Utah : Hayward is becoming an UFA in 12 months. They can't postpone filling the pg position anymore and Hill is one of the best fits available. They also have way too many young players.

Atlanta : Great value for an expiring Teague who they were looking to trade since January anyway. Cleared some capspace to make it easier to match Bazemore and pay Horford too.

Indiana : Well...Bird has his idea of what his team style should be like and he didn't like how Hill played. So there's that. Now how Teague will fit with Ellis...on the other hand this year Ellis did show some kind of improvement in his playmaking/ defence so who knows. They traded an expiring pg for another expiring pg so in the end no big loss.

Also for me..why the Bucks didn't trade their 10th pick which is better than Utah's for Hill? He's the perfect fit. Means Delly is about to get his $$$$.

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Personally i see Conley a lot more solid (and i'm not even a fan), again, not saying Teague is bad, he just doesn't look that good to me, and the fact that a team/market like the Hawks are letting him go doesn't give me more confidence about him honestly...the fact that he always made the playoffs doesn't move the needle for me, i mean, he always played in a pretty good eastern conference team, he played next to Iso Joe, Josh Smith and Horford years ago, now with Horford, Millsap and Bud on the bench...

19. malakas

malakas Member

I doubt it's to move up. Doesn't seem like Bud's GM style form what he has shown. So probably shopping for Vets.
    Here's our chance. Ariza for the 12th?

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

I can see the Hawks having interest in Ariza, Beverley and even D.Mo if they think Horford is gone.

They probably like Capela too, but i'm not trading him right now if i'm the Rockets, not for those picks at least.