1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

P90X

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by <3myrockets, Dec 29, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I bet going all out for 60 minutes of anything strenuous will get you in decent shape.

2. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Yeah man, my right arm is buffed up beyond belief!

3. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

This past semester at college, I did P90X while my roommate did Insanity.

In my opinion, P90X is more about getting stronger and toned.
    But if you truly wanna get in cardio shape... Do insanity. But be prepared.
    Those workouts are death. I'm 20 years old... 150 pounds and it DRAINED me. The warm-up alone has you sweating your balls off.

4. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I don't know, I used to do the Elliptical 5 days a week for 45 minutes to an hour and the only thing that got leaner was my legs. This whole muscle confusion thing is pretty awesome.

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

That's odd, ab ripper X never seemed that bad to me. It's really short, i can handle that.

The marathon pull ups are a different story.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

WHAT IS THE BEST to workout at home?

Rocket River

7. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I'm still kind of new at this, but I'd say anything by Beachbody.

http://www.beachbody.com/

8. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

If I did it fresh, sure. But doing it immediately after pull ups/push ups and lifting weights for an hour...ugh.

9. A00man

A00man Member

I'm on the 2nd phase of P90X. I'm doing 4 weeks of each phase instead of 3. I read that you can do up to 6 weeks of each phase if you want. So technically I'm going to end up doing P120X.

So far, I agree with everyone that says you WILL get results with this. There is no way not to. 6 days a week, and each workout has your shirt drenched by the end of it. Of course you could do plenty of things 6 days a week, and if you're dedicated, you will get results. I'd just prefer to have someone else make a plan for me, as I'm willing to do it, but I'm lazy to figure out what to do.

I'd recommend P90X to everyone. Before it, I was at 186 last year, and lost 14 lbs but plateaued at 172. I couldn't get any lower than that, no matter what I did. First month of P90X, I've lost an additional 10 lbs and gotten to 162, and lowered my body fat by around 3%. I'm definitely starting to get more toned and plenty of muscles are starting to show. Hopefully by the end of it, they'll be more defined. Great workout!

10. YourSecretLover

okay im gonna start on this in a couple of days. So my question is which workout equipment do I need? And is there any place(internet included) where i can find it for cheap? Thanks

11. hed

hed Member

Dumb bells (2) - Probably 25's
    Elastic bands (1)
    Push up bars (pair)

Get everything at Academy for cheap. Dumb bells are basically a dollar per pound. Elastic bands will run you 9 bucks and same with push up bars.

12. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

You can find it real cheap either on craigslist or amazon.com for about $75.

13. Breaker

Breaker Member

Just put won the bid for a boxset of P90X on ebay. Real excited to start the workouts.

Question though, is there much different from using dumbbells vs. resistance bands? I figure dumbbells will get you buffer, while bands will just get you leaner muscles. Which one do you guys prefer?

And, is P90X a get program to help build muscle mass; say, if you drink protein shakes before/after and if you use heavy dumbbell weights for the workouts?

14. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Anyone done the Insanity workout by the same group? I wanted to do it instead of P90x because I wanted no weights, bands, pullups, etc. Going to start soon, was wondering if anyone had any tips.

15. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

You're still going to be using bodyweight for the bigger muscles/movements so not really. Protein shakes is for better muscle recovery, as common everyday diets are protein deficient. The heavy weights will only affect your shoulders/arms day.

If you want mass you'll have to pour on the calories and hit the gym. But it sounds like you might not be so clear about what kind of mass you're aiming for. If you have a higher body fat, then after p90 you'll appear to have more mass because of improved body proportions.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I used weights to increase muscle mass. Depends on what you are going for.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

For this program...basically the bands need to be anchored to something most of the time, free weights dont. A lot of people thing bands are for the girly men or women, to "tone", but not really. Bands can actually be a b*tch to stretch because they are constantly pulling. For that reason you probably will only use bands up to 20 lbs of force or so. They usually feel "heavier" than the pounds listed.

Muscles are all about increasing the load you're moving. As long as you move more than you're used to, you'll increase muscle size, so which one gets you "buffer" all depends on your own starting strength.

18. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

I've heard it is very rough on the knees and ankles.

19. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Do you guys have advice on how to increase max. no. on pull-ups? I've never tried p90x, but use my pull-up bar at home probably 5-7 days a week (a few reps of 6-10 pull-ups per day) for a few months now, but can't seem to go past 10 pull-ups at one go (for both "overhand" and "underhand" grip), and some days I only manage 8. How many reps per day should I be aiming for? Or other exercises that will help pull-ups? Feel like I'm stagnating or sometimes regressing.

20. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

We are doing it now...it is pretty tough so you need to have at least some good endurance to do this. It has lot of jumping so i guess my knees will be dead soon. I was dying when I first started it last month.