1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

P90X

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by <3myrockets, Dec 29, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

So the lean version should be the one I should use? I weigh 170, and am 5'10". i'd like to lose around 15 lbs more or less, with the addition of more muscle. (I'm pretty soft right now).

the videos I have are just labeled extreme, but I have the paper work etc. for the lean stuff. So I guess I'm prepared. Time to feel the pain.

#61 Uprising, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I'm glad someone agreed. I know my way around the gym and I know a little cheating is great to force out some extra reps but that just looked stupid. Yeah, I get it *might* build some sort of explosive strength but not controlling the negative is a bad idea.

May a thousand shoulder surgeries descend upon thee who thinks these are a good idea.

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Missed this post before I replied to the other one. Sounds like it is working for you. It just looks like there is all kinds of room for injury.

4. Uprising

Well, I officially did day 1 today.

I did it yesterday too, but that was more of a warm up / getting used to it.

Today, took my before photos....did hte work out. Bought some Body Fortress Whey Protein 52g's (2 scoops).[​IMG]

This stuff any good?

http://www.bodyfortress.com/pages/productDetail.aspx?PPID=10

Tasted alright, but I have NO CLUE on what a protein shake mix should consist of.

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I've been working out intensely for the past few years, but I also started the P90X workout yesterday. I wanted to give my workout routine a change and see if I see additional gains for a different type of workout.

The first day of chest and back was pretty easy. I did about 25 reps of each set. But I only did 2 rounds of it. I read the course manual only for about 10 minutes before I started, although I did watch some of the videos briefly.

Questions:

How many reps do they recommend?
    How many sets/cycles of the workout do I do in one visit to the gym?
    How many days per week am I supposed to do this cycle?

(Sorry for these questions..b/c I really haven't had time to read the manual. I'm sure all the answers are in there, but thought I could get a quick answer from here.)

6. Uprising

I'm doing the lean version, so I started with Core synergistics. I'm guessing you're doing classic?

I don't know the answers if so sorry.

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Isn't the point of it to do it along with the videos?? :confused:

8. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

The P90X recovery drink is good, tasty too.

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I can't watch the videos at the gym. I know all the exercises because I've done them all before except one of them.

Plus, I don't have a pull up bar at my home. In addition, there aren't as many hotties around either. :(

10. Uprising

Not like the moves on the videos are very flattering either. Like doing yoga / jazercise with push ups and chin ups lol.

11. kikimama

kikimama Member

"How many reps do they recommend?"
    For chest n back, if it was a weights exercise, it's the normal "more weights" with 6-10 reps for bulk. 12-15 for lean.
    For "weightless" exercises, you pace yourself. Do enough but don't over do it.

"How many sets/cycles of the workout do I do in one visit to the gym?"
    The video does about 11 different exercises, then cycles back through each one after doing those 11. Except the first exercise is now the 2nd, and the 2nd exercise is now the 1st. The 4th exercise is 3rd and the 3rd exercise is the 4th and so on. During this "2nd" round, your suppose to go "all out" and do as many reps as possible.

"How many days per week am I supposed to do this cycle? "
    The classic way to complete P90X is to interchange weight training videos with cardio videos. Do pylo one day, then do chest n back the next. Followed by yoga, then something like arms and legs.

On the 7th day, you can do the stretch video.

So basically, do one video a day.

12. Uprising

I'm looking at one of these on Ebay. Just from looking, do you think it's any good?

[​IMG]

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

14. Uprising

15. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

16. Uprising

17. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

That seems about right, I think mine was about $30 for the simpler version.

18. Uprising

Cool, thanks for the feedback.

Just got this

[​IMG]

for $36.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

20. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

Anyone who was doing this still follow through?

I started it up yesterday. I've let myself go for the past 3 months since moving to my new apt without a decent gym so I decided to give this a go. Picked up a set of nice resistance bands since I only have 2 20lb dumbbells. Also have the chin-up bar but didn't use it yesterday during the chest and back section because I'm just not there yet. Just wondering if any of the handful of people here who started actually finished, and what their results were.