1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

P90X

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by <3myrockets, Dec 29, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

100 chinups, is that even possible?

2. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

p90x works guys. I just finished it like 2 weeks ago and boy did it deliver! Im going to start it all over again, this time doing the classic because the first time I did lean cus I was really out of shape.

3. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

A coworker of mine did this and the results were pretty good. His comment was that he thinks he could have gotten the same results with amount of time he spent working out with any program.

It is intensive workouts, not only in effort, but a lot of time. He said he had to really commit to the time it took to do it.

4. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

Straight hang pull-ups are hard at the quantity we do in Crossfit. The standard Crossfit pull-up is actually a kipping pull-up. When I'm fresh, I can knock out 30+ straight with my chin above bar, and I don't consider myself particularly strong at pull ups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAZaHzd6qAY

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

From looking at the video it looks like they are just using the momentum of their body to the chinup. I would love to see them do a 100 normal pullups.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

How the eff do you not destroy your shoulders with those pull ups? The negative is so uncontrolled it looks like their shoulders are going to pop out at the bottom of the movement.

7. BrieflySpeaking

its not THAT much time consuming, each dvd is under 60 minutes except for the yoga, which is 90 minutes long.

8. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

any fast movement is a bad idea for someone looking to get in shape. I think it is a bad idea for any non-athlete looking to increase performance in their sport at any cost.

These training programs are possibly as good as a weight training program in the short term, but a weight program will provide better injury protection.

Momentum is your enemy in strength training.

9. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

My step dad does p90x. The results are visible.

He does not do the complete sets though. He said he only does what his body can handle. He's really leaned up. I am a believer

10. Microfridge

Microfridge Contributing Member

I was wondering what P90X was until I saw this...

[​IMG]

Great ad placement

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Wow, amazing timing. I was just about to hunt this thread down, and say that I think I'm about to start it.

Any advice from anyone going through it, or anyone who has just completed it? How intense are the workouts? I'm not in the best of shape, but I'm not a slouch either. I do weight lifting 2-3 times a week, and usually run about a mile 3 times a week. How sore are you the next day, and how tired are you during the workday? Sorry if I'm being annoying with the questions, I'm just really excited to get started.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Did I get the right copy for someone who isn't in the best shape? I'm not really that much over weight or anything, but am out of shape.

Hoping to shed the extra weight around my waist...fricking love handles.

13. BrieflySpeaking

For those of you that are out of shape, p90x has 3 different ways in which you can do. There is the classic version which is pretty much for people that ARE in shape. Its the most intense one. Then there is Doubles version, for people who want some extra cardio either for performance or weight loss. And there is the Lean version. Id recommend this version for those who are starting off out of shape. Its less resistance with more cardio, you probably burn more calories in this one than the other versions. Its still not a walk in the park tho.

14. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

I'm not sure I can explain it properly, but the swing in a kipping pull-up is completely controlled. If you swing wildly, the movement will be nearly impossible to repeat like they do in the video. I have a bad left shoulder from an old skiing injury, and it hasn't been a problem for me.

15. Fatty FatBastard

Quick aside. Do you still want the TV or not? I need an answer.

16. BrieflySpeaking

I emailed you earlier. Anyways, nah my bro isnt moving after all.

17. Fatty FatBastard

Ok, hmm. I didn't get the email.

18. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Just started the "Classic" version last night. Definitely sore this morning. But I like it.

Just hope I stay dedicated and dont fall off cuz 90 days is a long long timee

19. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

I've had a copy of it for awhile now, but I couldn't just get my lazy A@$ motivated enough to start it. I've read thru the materials, chapters and it looked very intense. Exactly what someone mentioned as "Muscle confusion". My buddy did it also and he's really toned up, he didn't gain much muscle mass, but he really toned up and got cut. I really don't know if he stuck with it or not but he did it pretty hard for a couple of months.

Maybe I'll blow off the dust and give it a try. :confused:

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

started the classic today. My body is on fire. Seems like this is the real deal....