1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

P.Pierce and Beasley Suffer Asthma Attacks at China Charity Game..

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by T FOR 3!!!, Aug 31, 2011.

1. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Member

Here's the part where you source a single time I "starting making stuff up."

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

WTF Kelly? If you hang around here long enough you'd learn that Chinese media is garbage. Half the rumor stories SINA sports writes come from rumors on this site!

Either way I still love reading your blog everyday. Please have another live chat soon too.

3. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Member

Sina is bunko, we've known that for nearly a decade now. But the newspaper NIU quoted has been used by them before and used well. More importantly, I trust NIUBball's sources.

Three or four Celtics blogs picked up on this before I even did. Both players clearly sat out a game according to several sources, and yet they won't say why. They'll just rip on the asthma thing.

As I pointed out in MY post, all this could be is a case of Pierce and Beasley struggling to breathe much less play in the (typical for August) awful Chinese smog, exacerbated by the cigarette smoke in the building. As I pointed out in MY post, it doesn't have to be an attack at all.

These guys are over there to sell shoes. What are they going to do, stand by while an American site points this stuff out? Of course they're going to shoot the messenger. What else are they going to say?

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You should proofread your articles more thoroughly.

5. YaosDirtyStache

Kelly Dwyer everybody!

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

this site has always been awesome. but from time to time the rude lady boys behind there computers can get snappy thats for sure.

7. sinobball

sinobball Member

Clearly list your sources with links in either language please. They played in 2 games in Shuangyashan (vs. Cairn Taipans and Xinjiang Flying Tigers) and 1 in Beijing (vs. Beijing Ducks). Which game did they sit out?

8. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

OK. My bad then. Do you remember the name of the guy that said it? Maybe it was an ESPN guy then? They also made up a lie that Childress said he did not get paid in Greece and the same thing. The next day Childress was in the press saying he got paid everything and had never even talked to the guy and it was made up.

Could it have been Rick Bucher perhaps?

9. lean

lean Member

I'm so tired of reading stories by Kelly Dwyer and having to parse his cryptic, marginally incoherent (or, in other words, BAD) writing style. You would think that writing as often as he does would improve matters, but alas, it doesn't seem so; the incoherence continues.

Example:
    "Thus, perhaps, a broken wrist. Bad news when your employer, caregiver, and insurance provider have all effectively locked you out of any contact, even for medical emergencies."
    The first sentence is horrifically disjointed, and the second comes out of left field - where's the context for that statement, and what is he talking about?
    Then there's the "never the less" - I don't know what's worse: that it comes at the end of a middle-school level run-on sentence, or that it's not even a phrase, but instead a word.

I'm no nit-picky grammar Nazi normally, but goodness, I am so tired of reading these poorly-worded, poorly-thought-out articles.

^^ Taken from the comment section of said article. Maybe the reaction to your article wouldn't have been so negative if it wasn't so poorly written?

Also, "Or perhaps he just didn't that great a job at reading the post." LOL

10. lean

lean Member

I also find it interesting that despite being a member since 2001 and having 3000+ posts, you and I are at the same level of reputation. xD Not that that means anything... (;

11. sinobball

sinobball Member

A couple things:
    1. Sina news is akin to Google News. They have their own writers but most of their articles on the sites are from hundreds of media in China. In other words almost all major newspapers have all their articles published on Sina. I bet you knew this for nearly a decade as well. Move on.
    2. I found the article you quoted. It's not a newspaper, but 163 aka Netease which is completely like Sina.
    3. The article makes no mention that Pierce has had asthma attack. It cited an unnamed Chinese agent of Beasley's (Beasley has Chinese agent?) and the only sentence that mentioned the word asthma is as follows:
    此前,洲冠杯的B组比赛在黑龙江双鸭山举行,尽管美国肯塔基野牛有皮尔斯和比斯利压阵,但是首场比赛被澳大利亚人凯恩斯队“暴揍”,皮尔斯和比斯利双双受伤,后者还因为本身患有哮喘,在球馆内被众多球迷吸烟所扰,一度昏厥。
    Basically saying Beasley has fainted from the smoke. Like Bob Sura. But no mention of Pierce fainting or having asthma.
    Clutchfans has a lot of people who can read Chinese, so I'm including the link here:
    http://sports.163.com/11/0829/13/7CKKF5VH00051CA1.html
    4. Referring NIUBball as NIU misses the point of the website's name completely.

1 person likes this.
  12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

Dude. I am in deep gratitude for your article about my video that catapulted my views, however I do agree that your punctuation, grammar, and spelling are pretty subpar. Of course, it could be due to the fact that you do not have an editor on hand...

On that note, I highly suggest hiring an editor... or a better editor than the one you have now.

13. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

well to be fair, the rep system started one or two years ago, and he hasnt been posting regularly here, so people doesnt give him rep points.
    Kelly did at least 80% of his posts, without the rep system.

1 person likes this.
  14. lean

lean Member

Oh... I feel like a dick now :x

15. Lovemachine2000

Now that's some journalistic fact checking, thank you. No response for Kelly so far??

16. Nook

Nook Member

Don't know if the report is accurate... but I will say that the heavily populated part of China are filthy and with horrendous air quality. I had issues breathing when on a work related trip. It is REALLY bad.

I also agree that NBA players view China as a money opportunity and will not say anything bad about it.... but that does not prove that it did or did not happen.

Most have to say I was surprised that China was such a dump in the industrialized areas.

17. Lovemachine2000

To stay on topic, did you read the previous posts?

18. Nook

Nook Member

Yes... and as I said, it is certainly feasable that Pierce or some of the other players had difficulty breathing... the air where they were playing is disgusting... so not that hard to believe.

19. meh

meh Member

Unfortunately, it's this sort of generalizations about that cause people to jump to certain conclusions.

Skimming the Chinese article, the game was apparently held in Beijing. I currently live in Beijing. I grew up in Houston, and have been to several big and small American and Chinese cities alike.

There are several things about Beijing one should know.

1. There are no heavy industries surrounding Beijing, as these industries were forced out before the Olympics
    2. There are few constructions in Beijing, which were completed before the Olympics.
    3. The roads in Beijing is congested to be sure, but it's not any worse than Houston or any major American city.
    4. Beijing has been "greened" quite a bit over the past year, for the Olympics. These trees and plants have remained.
    5. This summer, there have been tons of rain in Beijing, normally a dry city. So air quality is better than normal.

Yes, China has air quality problems. But Beijing is not China as a whole. And Beijing in the fall of 2012 is not Beijing of the past decade.

That said, it's still possible that an NBA player can have problems with lesser air quality. But TWO NBA players with the same problem at the same time? That seems weird.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Kelly,

Just keep doing your thing, readership and clicks are all that matter.

DD