1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oyster thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Roscoe Arbuckle

Been researching a bit on oysters and I never knew how good they were for our ecosystem. I'm including a video and a couple articles on here showing how much they do for the environment. A fun fact: Oysters have no nerves, so they are basically a sea vegetable. Eat up kids!

My personal favorite place to get them is at Gilhooley's in San Leon, which Andrew Zimern (of Bizarre Foods) stated was the ultimate seafood dive bar in North America. (I agree)

(19:09 of below video)

And a pic of the signature "Oysters Gilhooley." (Freaking amazing)

[​IMG]

And a video on what they do for us:

An interesting article from our Houston expert: Robb Walsh.

https://www.chron.com/life/health/article/Six-things-you-should-know-about-Galveston-Bay-9550723.php

And finally, what you can do to get Galveston Oysters back to their typical thriving level.

https://texaslivingwaters.org/help-galveston-bay-oysters/

Also, Danton's has a dozen raw oysters for $10 during their HH. 4-7 M-F.

[​IMG]

#1 Roscoe Arbuckle, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  2. Buck Turgidson

Really? And you live on the Gulf? (or Katy, that's not so much on the Gulf, nor is the inner loop)

Outside of that they are delicious. Nice recipes.

3. Buck Turgidson

Try the east and west coast varieties too. Go to a top notch oyster bar and talk to the man. If raw, you will absolutely notice a difference in the flavor.

4. Roscoe Arbuckle

I had no idea that each oyster can filter 50 gallons of water. They just put a ton in New York to clean up the Hudson.

5. Buck Turgidson

Huh. Glad you learned that bivalves filter water. So do marshlands and wetlands. Concrete, not so much.

A fun volunteer project is going into the bays with TPWD et al and re"seeding" the oyster beds.

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

They've been doing it for several years now. The Hudson was disgusting.

7. Roscoe Arbuckle

I've had them at The Oceanaire. IMO, the flavor wasn't worth the uptick in price point.

8. Buck Turgidson

Hmmm...seafood restaurant based out of Minnesota, no? Landry's is at least half-ass legitimate.

9. Roscoe Arbuckle

Also had some in NYC. I simply prefer the liquor in our Gulf Coast versions.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  10. donkeypunch

Captain Toms is a great casual place to get oysters in Houston. Always shaped like a boat with a U-shaped bar with guys continuously shucking. Clean shucked gulf oysters for cheap. Always busy and usually a wait, at least the one on 1960.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

They're all delicious as far as I'm concerned, but like you I like my Gulf oysters/shrimp, if you're eating them cooked it really doesn't matter though.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Tommy's in clear lake has a nice happy hour special and above average reviews.

13. Buck Turgidson

What was the place on ?Main, Kirby, Westpark? on the way to the Dome? It had a giant crab and a cowboy hat wearing shrimp with 2 six-shooters?

Not sure we ever ate there, I just remember it looking cool as hell as Dad drove to and from games.

14. Roscoe Arbuckle

Lol. That was Gaido's on Main back in the day. I believe that Crab is now on the front of the Galveston Gaido's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No Worries and Buck Turgidson like this.
  15. donkeypunch

Not familiar, but a quick search(cause who the hell doesnt want to see a giant shrimp with revolvers?) came up with Gaidos, which is now in Galveston.
    [​IMG]

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. donkeypunch

TBH, Houstons "fresh" seafood restaurant scene is pretty crap for being right next to the gulf. I, for one, am disappointed overall in lack of more fresh seafood. Everything is ****ing frozen, 20 miles from the gulf.

sammy and R0ckets03 like this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Wow. I had no idea there was ever a Gaido's in Houston, I just remember being on the lookout for the giant seafood as we were driving. We probably ate at the one in Galveston 100 times, but never there.

18. Buck Turgidson

Not necessarily "everything", but you are largely and sadly correct (or were correct back when I lived there). I never understood it either.

19. Roscoe Arbuckle

We have plenty of great Seafood restaurants here.

Danton's
    Tony Mandola's (their coleslaw is a must try)
    Goode Co. Seafood
    Eddie V's
    Reef
    Truluck's
    Connie's
    Christie's
    Bayou City

Hell, even Pappas & Pappadeaux are good places.

sammy likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Maybe 10% of the seafood on those menus is from the western gulf coast, that was @donkeypunch 's point.