1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oxford Physicists Mathematically Prove Parallel Universe Theory

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by weslinder, Sep 25, 2007.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=paUniverse_sun14_parallel_universes&show_article=1&cat=0

Parallel universes exist - study

Parallel universes really do exist, according to a mathematical discovery by Oxford scientists described by one expert as "one of the most important developments in the history of science".

The parallel universe theory, first proposed in 1950 by the US physicist Hugh Everett, helps explain mysteries of quantum mechanics that have baffled scientists for decades, it is claimed.

In Everett's "many worlds" universe, every time a new physical possibility is explored, the universe splits. Given a number of possible alternative outcomes, each one is played out - in its own universe.

A motorist who has a near miss, for instance, might feel relieved at his lucky escape. But in a parallel universe, another version of the same driver will have been killed. Yet another universe will see the motorist recover after treatment in hospital. The number of alternative scenarios is endless.

It is a bizarre idea which has been dismissed as fanciful by many experts. But the new research from Oxford shows that it offers a mathematical answer to quantum conundrums that cannot be dismissed lightly - and suggests that Dr Everett, who was a Phd student at Princeton University when he came up with the theory, was on the right track.

Commenting in New Scientist magazine, Dr Andy Albrecht, a physicist at the University of California at Davis, said: "This work will go down as one of the most important developments in the history of science."

According to quantum mechanics, nothing at the subatomic scale can really be said to exist until it is observed. Until then, particles occupy nebulous "superposition" states, in which they can have simultaneous "up" and "down" spins, or appear to be in different places at the same time.

Observation appears to "nail down" a particular state of reality, in the same way as a spinning coin can only be said to be in a "heads" or "tails" state once it is caught.

According to quantum mechanics, unobserved particles are described by "wave functions" representing a set of multiple "probable" states. When an observer makes a measurement, the particle then settles down into one of these multiple options.

The Oxford team, led by Dr David Deutsch, showed mathematically that the bush-like branching structure created by the universe splitting into parallel versions of itself can explain the probabilistic nature of quantum outcomes.

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I want to live in the parallel universe where Stockton misses that shot in game 6 of the '97 Western Conference Finals, we beat the Jazz, then beat the Bulls in the NBA Finals...

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I'm originally from that universe, it's glooorrrrioussss.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they stole my idea!

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

My aunt used to talk about this ALL the time. She was (or still is?) a prof for the quantum physics PHD program at Northwestern. Rather than waste her time on that subject though she concentrated on creating new lasers, and now focuses on nanotechnolgy and "quantum devices". Basically she ditched the sexy theory mumbo jumbo for something that makes the big bucks.

I remember her trying to explain that she was working on some kind of laser that would measure a parallel universe. I was maybe 12yrs old at the time. Didn't understand it then. Wouldn't understand it now.

Cool stuff though.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Hey aren't you MuleSorcery on the Parallel Universe BBS?

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So there is a universe where I get up and punch my boss in the face after making this post?

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, when a girl says "No!" to me, in a parallel universe does she say "Yes", or does she just not say "No" as emphatically.

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

It's a guy in the parallel universe.

The answer is still "No", I believe.

#9 Zboy, Sep 25, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  10. OrangeCountyCA

^^^ hehehe ! :D

But seriously, I just can't get me head around this entire concept, even though I have studied it alot. If it is true then that would mean that millions of Universes, just like ours, were just "popping up" all the time. So there would be a Big Bang every instance in the 11th dimention (whatever that is).

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

So how does this make my life better?

12. AkeemTheDreem86

fixed.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There is a universe where the Rockets have won 50 straight championships with Tiger Woods as the last MVP.

14. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

This begs the question:

Somewhere, in some universe, there is a ClutchBBS with no one to read it. Does it still kick as much ass?

Even more horrifying, in some universe there is no ClutchBBS. THE HORROR!!! :eek: :eek:

15. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Wait so does that mean we exist in many different universes? So there are many different OrangeRowdies out there?

16. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

:D

you know whats really scary? that given this theory...we are mavs fans in some universe :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad:

17. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Not anymore. In that universe, we sucked so bad that we collapsed in on ourselves.

18. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

you are right. i stand corrected

19. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

This was a Star Trek TNG episode. They're stealing from Star Trek.

KAHN!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If parallel universes do exist in the way the original theory states, there would be an unfathomable number of them. Not only would a parallel universe be created for every possible outcome of every event for universe prime, but once a parallel universe was created, it would start doing the same thing. And the number of universes would just multiply and multiply.