1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Overweight/Getting Back into Shape Support System Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LCAhmed, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

agreed, I am just impatient when it comes to healthy meals cooking so I use myfitfoods every now and then maybe 4 times a year when they have these half off type specials cause its better than my other microwave-able options.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Fish like talapia is a great source of lean protein...if not the best.

4. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

You really don't need to wade through a bunch of responses that don't have to do with actual support.

Number 1 should be a constant.

Cheat days should be avoided until you start excercising, even then, it's not advisable as it'll turn into 2, 3 days and you'll be back at square 1, depressed and unmotivated.

At your size, the initial weight will fly the fruck off if you do nothing different except eat less/sensibly.

1.Burn more calories than you take in, period.

3. When you hit a wall it's time to start some cardio.

4. When you hit another wall, do some run of the mill weight work; bench, squats, etc.

For the last time lifting weights builds muscle. Muscle burns more calories at rest than fat does.
    You can do anything you set your mind to dude and remember it's not a goal, it's an ongoing process.

5. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I think I've told you before, and I'll tell you again: Seriously Look into Juicing (fruits, not roids)

6. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

and vegetables, sorry

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

lifting weight builds muscle when he is doing everything correctly with nutrition.

how many more calories than fat at rest?

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

dont spread crap like this. 1 meal or 10 meals..doesnt affect your rate of metabolism.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yeah I read some research a while ago showing the number of meals doesn't really affect your metabolism....You've got people now actually fasting for long periods of time and they're still cutting fat and/or staying lean. Personally, I've done the 6-7 meals and 3-4 and didnt see much difference. Everything was the same as far as food content, just different portions.

I think part of the reason why this picked up so much steam is because it keeps you from feeling too full at any point of the day, which may affect how you feel when you work out or look throughout the day b/c of a full belly.

10. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Hmm I always thought the idea behind smaller portions, frequent meals is because when you do the opposite, eating 1 or 2 huge meals, your body goes into "starvation" mode thinking it needs to store fat since it doesn't know when you'll get your next meal.

Anyway, regarding losing weight/getting in shape. It's simple. If the amount of calories (energy) you eat, is greater than your Resting Metabolic Rate (amount of energy to function every day), then you will gain weight.

So its as simple as that. So with that said, you want to make the most of the calories you'll put in your body by eating foods efficiently, and by that I mean nutritious foods that's actually healthy for you. Eat as clean as possible. If you're a soda drinker, cut that out. Drink water its the best for you.

Unless you make a lifestyle change, you'll always go back to where you began. Lifestyle change has to be permanent. The way you eat, the way you exercise, you have to hold yourself accountable. Think about it. Everything you did up until now in your life: the way you eat, exercise, sleep; got you to the point you are now. So even if you change the way you eat, exercise more for a month or two, and then you go back to skipping the gym and eating like crap, you'll gain all the weight back. People always say things like "I lost 20 pounds only to gain it back". You gained it back because you went back to your old ways. It's not a coincidence.

11. jcee15

I would think muscles had a higher metabolism than say fat cells. I couldn't give you a calorie per hour as that would be variant on so many things. You could find it someplace though.

12. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

one more tip.

My best results on losing fat where hooping on an empty stomach, could literally feel the fat burning.

13. Sajan

Sajan Member

10 meals a day is for bodybuilders who need to consume 5000+ calories..and its not fun trying to do that in 2-3 meals.

as far as starvation mode, it takes MUCH longer than a few hours and it's not determined by # of meals, but by amount of calories per day.

5cals per lb a day extra is barely significant...even if you put on 50lbs of muscle.

a lot of fitness "facts" are just broscience spread from one guy at gym to the next. no one actually sits down and researches things anymore.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://www.builtlean.com/2013/04/16/muscle-burn-calories/

15. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Drink water instead of soda. It burns calories and boost metabolism. Diet sodas are just as bad if not worse than regular sodas. Losing weight takes a lot of commitment. So much that it's basically a lifestyle change. If you're serious about it you will cut out sugary drinks all together.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Find something that works for YOU and be persistent. If one or two approaches fail, try something else. No one is the same.

My .02 cents- cut out All processed foods including bread. Don't eat anything that comes in a bag or can. Stick to meat, vegetables, fruits, dairy and nuts.

Cook as much as possible. It's easy to grill or pan fry meat and veggies (with olive oil of course).

Intermittent fasting is something I like to do also. If I'm not hungry, I skip dinner. And my scale rewards me.

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yeah it doesn't. The only thing I've noticed is that eating small meals prevents me from overeating. If I'm hungry, I eat a small meal and I'm done. If I get hungry again then I eat another small meal. So much of eating is based on rituals and time of day and I think that contributes to overeating, for me anyway.

18. jcee15

People sit down and research these all the time:confused:
    Even "negligable" calories lost are still calories lost.
    Psychologically, an edge is all you need.

19. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

I've been on my grind too this summer. Running every morning, and evening helped me out a lot. The advice I give to you is baby steps. Don't try and change up your whole lifestyle at once because you can quickly relapse if you do that.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

Does that PX90 program work? I did the ab-ripper and couldn't finish a quarter way through. Also I need to buy some dumb bells and pull up bars in order be able to do the whole thing.