1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Overpaid & Underpaid Astros!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Coach Flip, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

No need to be extravagant or cheap. It's Luhnow's call if arbitration panel rules in favor of player.

2. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

I think lunhow knows how to work the farm system and keep our worthy guys.

3. Major

Major Member

He's already doing that. You specifically wanted 3 more MarGos instead of a Beltran. The question is how does not acquiring Beltran help you acquire 3 more MarGos? It's not like you can just go sign them as free agents, so where do you get them from?

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

How can you trust Luhnow? You even started a thread criticizing the Astros salary structure.

5. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Funny, made me laugh

6. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

You pass on $16M Beltran. Don't need him. I don't think I specifically wanted 3 more MarGos instead of a Beltran. I meant you're better off investing $16M on several (3-4) contracts.

#46 Coach Flip, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
  7. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

I think luhnow knows how to work the farm system and keep our worthy guys that have been in our system. He got burned by unknowns like Gomez, Beltran. And then there's the Yuli contract with no experience against MLB pitching. Without doubt I could outmanage Hinch and win a World Series. The team wins inspite of Hinch who finds ways to lose. Without doubt I could probably close every deal w/o ever going thru arb. And don't ask me how? You're a fan. I'm the future...

8. bobrek

Considering roster sizes, had he signed 4 players for $4,000,000 instead of 1 Beltran, three of those $4,000,000 players would be earning that money in the minor leagues.

NIKEstrad likes this.
  9. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

You missed the point of burning $16M on Beltran. I looked at his recent stats (since 2011) and see nothing to justify $16M. I do think he and some of our guys need more conditioning. Beltran could DH another 5 years in league if he gets in great shape. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/beltrca01.shtml

#49 Coach Flip, May 27, 2017
  10. bobrek

You missed the point about roster sizes. They have 25 players on the roster. If they removed one Beltran, they have 24 players on the roster and $16,000,000 to spend. If they add 4 $4,000,000 players, they now have 28 players on the roster. 3 of them cannot be on the major league roster.

11. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

I was making a statement that we were better off with 3 MarGos than 1 Beltran. Actually, they possibly could've spent three $5 million to upgrade outfield, catcher and DH positions, and save a fortune on reddick, McCann & Beltran.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

When I see a new thread on the main page with the last post, but it disappears when I go into the Astros forum...I pretty much know who started said mystery thread.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

And I do agree.

We need to can Luhnow and find a proper GM who can keep players at their pre-arb salaries for their entire career. It's just bad business to pay guys 25 million when there are so many great players willing to play for the league minimum.

14. bobrek

Stupid Luhnow. Has a currently configured roster that we know for a fact has the best record in the major leagues. Stupid Hinch. Keeps making out lineups and pitching changes that have guided the Astros to the best record in the league. But #imakethingshappen #billgatesmoney thinks his way is better.

Do you realize it has taken Gonzalez 5 years to produce at this level? Do you realize Marwin had an OBP UNDER .300 last year and an OPS UNDER .700.

So, your strategy would be to sign 4 players with extremely mediocre stats and HOPE that they have a blazing month of May because with the exception of 5 HRs in April, Marwin was his usual, average self. Hopefully Marwin will get consideration for player of the month, because he certainly has been one of the better players in the ML in May.

#amistadconultantsdontknowbaseball

15. Major

Major Member

Again, *who* are these mythical good players available as free agents at $5MM a piece? MarGo costs $4MM specifically because he's not available on the open market. So where do you plan to find these other MarGos?

16. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

We got Aoki cheaper ($5.5M) after he was placed on waivers. A $13M Reddick was the best we could've done? If so, I'd rather go with farm system. We probably needed to bite the bullet for McCann to upgrade a specialty position, but we need to see more of Centeno as DH-catcher. Only Hinch would send him back down after 2HRs in 2 games when the team desperately needs hitters more than pitchers like Sipp/Gregerson. Major=Bobrek?

17. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

You do realize Hinch isn't the one that calls up and sends players down, right? Are you new to baseball?

18. bobrek

Considering most every poster posts factual rebuttals to your unrealistic scenarios, you could say Major= pick anyone.

How's that move Correa to 8th working out?

19. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

Don't GM and Hinch discuss it? Luhznow decides. How else did Hinch find out to tell centeno the bad news?

#59 Coach Flip, May 27, 2017
  20. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

How's that line up that got us swept by the tribe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.