1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Over/Under on the decay of our offense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rlmjdime, Jul 7, 2011.

1. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

I don't know much about McHale's offense, but basing this more off of what happened from JVG to Adelman(defensive decay). Do you think that we will see an offensive decline over the years and how long do you think it will take? And why do you think it will or won't happen?

I personally think we will start to see signs of an offensive decline in the second year concurrent with better defensive play.

2. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

it seems like the reverse JVG to Adelman.

3. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

McHale said he liked the system already in place (Princeton offense). I’m sure he won’t stray too far away from it. Our starter’s know it like the back of their hands and it’s apparently pretty effective. (3rd in ppg and 1st in apg, right?)

He’ll probably focus more on the young, big guys and teach them how to play post, but while at the same time demanding more defense from everyone on the team.

That's just a guess though..

4. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

I agree for the most part, but we also knew the defensive scheme very well from JVG. Adopting the same offense is great, but would McHale be able to keep it consistent over the years? My guess is no. I'm not thinking that we are going to become a 90ppg team or anything. If we were able to keep up the offensive efficiency, then that would suggest that it was Adelman's system that was more valuable than Adelman the coach. I for one do not think that is the case.

5. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Sure I do. Not because of the coach not being good at offense. Its because the coaching will change and pace of game. He might highlight defense more and defense might go up alot and scoring down a little. If the defense goes up? The offense is likely to come down. You have to have energy to play both. I think we will become a more efficient offense but score less. Teams will score less on us.

6. Chris Jent MVP

if morey's moneyball stats are as good as they have been hyped up to be, and mchale is open to those stats, i would think maybe the rockets would try a "moneyball offense" where each player has the most efficient plays designed for them .... would be interesting.

7. VBG

VBG Member

It depends on personell changes IMO. The Rockets were great defensively when we had Deke, Yao, Battier and for one season Ron ROn

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

More efficient than 4th in the league?

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I know we signed Finch as our offensive coordinator and to keep the continuity of the Adelman system, but if you watched any RGV basketball you didn't see that offense at all....you saw a bunch of up and down chucking from the cheap seats ball....

I hope they maintain the O, but if RGV is an indicator...YIKES !

DD

10. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Considering that there was no offensive improvement under Adelman until the roster was revamped, I'm gonna say never.

Oh and the same could be said of the defensive decline.

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

As long as there's an offensive system in place, I don't care if McHale wants to run the damn triangle. Watching teams like the Hawks, where offensive sets are more like iso plays, is the last thing I want to watch the Rockets become.

12. Chris Jent MVP

yes i'm sure that is morey's master plan by bringing finch over to the rockets :rolleyes:

13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I think we will be fine with McHale. He's not a terrible coach by any means. With our given roster, I'll be more shocked if we lose more than 41 games, than we would winning 44 or more.

I actually think Chase, Hill, Patterson, and Lowry will improve.

We've got a decent team, as we are right now. Not enough to go deep into playoffs, but good enough for an 8 spot. Hell, if we were in the East we would be like a 5th or 6th seed.

14. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

This wasn't a "I think we are going to suck" thread. I actually think we are going to be entertaining to watch at the least. Just more of where our offense is going to shift as well as how the defense might shift. Only with massive, massive injuries could I see us not getting 40 wins.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

I'll go out on a limb and say our offense will perform as well as our offensive personnel allow it to, and our defense will perform as well as our defensive personnel will allow it to. Just like it was under JVG, and Adelman.

16. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

That's a long limb there!:) Just my style.

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

:)

In all seriousness, our offense under Adelman did not improve one iota until we paired Lowry and Martin in the backcourt. Before that it was right around 15th in the league, where JVG left it. And our defense under Adelman did not decline, until Yao went out.

I suspect our offense/defense under McHale, despite all the fanfare or dismay, will be predicated not on his coaching but by who Morey puts on the team. I know, a real shocker.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

not even gonna look this up, what was the offense ranked in 09-10

19. RocketsFan69

RocketsFan69 Member

According to 2k11
    We have the #2 Offense in the league.
    But that might change w/ Mchales coaching

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

18th.