1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Over-reaction after two SL games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nero, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Nero

Nero Member

Ok, I know it's only been two games, and we haven't even seen the Conquistador yet, but..

So far so good. I barely watched any of the games last year because it just wasn't the Rockets any more.

But now.. Yes, I will definitely be watching.

And I know people have thrown around Cato's name lately, which is apropos. There is no sense in making snap judgments based off only a couple summer league games.

And while I am trying not to do that, there IS one thing about which I feel safe in judging:

I believe we got a great haul in this draft.

And it got me thinking about draft night, and the days leading up to draft night.

Remember all the 'Houston Really Wants Cade' headlines? And I think most of us were fine with that, even thinking that the Rockets might be able to parlay their 23 & 24 into a 9 or something, and then package that 9 and our 2, to move up to 1 and get Cade.

I'm thinking today, thank goodness the Rockets did NOT do that!

Heck, I could barely feel ok with a 1-to-1 swap of Cade and Green right now, much less the other three potential studs we wound up with.

Oh and thank you Presti, as well.

Now I'm not saying this team is going to make the playoffs or anything this year, but all signs appear to at least now be pointing in a positive direction, at least. I think our interior defense is still going to be suspect, but ought to be better than it was.

I am just glad we didn't move up. Can you imagine if we had done that, used all that draft capital, chances are we would not have nabbed Sengun either, and then for the next decade or so, seeing all the players' careers we COULD have had had we kept the picks?

It's been a while since I have eagerly awaited seeing the next Rockets game. It's good to have that feeling again.

2. 19bernardo87

19bernardo87 Member

It's definitely really exciting. But the problem is that good play in SL often does not mean much in the end.
    I saw a good post about this on Reddit today

I just want the season to start, so we can see the young core in NBA games (and KPJ+Wood+Tate).

burlesk, joshuaao, napalm06 and 3 others like this.
  3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Say it with me, "My name is Nero and I'm a fair weather fan".

FLASH21, vator, thedreamsteam and 3 others like this.
  4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Do we really need another summer league thread that offers no new info? We all know its just Summer League let us have something to enjoy for once lol

vator, D-rock and DreamShook like this.
  5. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

If anything, we have been underreacting.

I've already booked hotel rooms for Brooklyn and Milwaukee (50/50 on each making finals) for next July in expectation that Houston will be there for game 3 and a closeout game 4.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I might be in the minority but I haven't watched the games to see the Rockets win or whether or not Jalen Green has elite TS%. I'm more interested in how our rookies (and KJ) have been moving throughout the game...are they lost on defense? are they lost on offense? are they hustling? are they finding the open man? are they keeping pace with the more "seasoned" NBA players in SL? For the most part the answers have been "yes" which is encouraging. I don't expect these kids to come in to the regular season and perform the same way they have been, stat-wise, in the SL. What made me start my thread last night is that these kids look ready if that makes sense. The experience Green got playing in the G-League and the experience Sengun got playing professionally overseas have made apparent impacts on their learning curve. Any kid can come into the SL and dunk and put together a highlight reel--the little things that our rookies have been doing will definitely help them get acclimated and be successful in the NBA.

Kevooooo, Milos, Mathloom and 5 others like this.
  7. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

The last game KJ was out of position a lot and no one noticed. I think people thought I was picking on him but if you look that early deficit was because a lot of times KJ was trying to help on d where he didnt need to so his man was open under the rim. Even on pick and rolls he moved to the corner sometimes instead of recognizing that green was being double so he needed to move closer to green and toward the basket for an easier pass out of the double. He got better for the second half but it was glaring to me during the first.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Apparently Jalen Green is a turnover machine. We're doomed!

vator likes this.
  9. vator

vator Contributing Member

We shouldn't have drafted him to play PG with other more qualified players still available. And what is the point of having a 19 year old offensive dynamo that is already commanding double and triple teams above the 3 point line if he can't even pass it to a wide open teammate. Better to get a guy that doesn't need to be double teamed at all if that is the case.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm enjoying GARM's highs and living every second of it

Better than this place's more typical lows, and you know it's coming no matter how good next season can be.

11. vator

vator Contributing Member

i understand 100% what you're saying and this is a high level basketball post. In fact, I liked the post. i love a good rotation and defensive play. That translates. However I'm not going to lie, I'm watching for the HIGHLIGHTS baby!! Not nearly enough dunks in my opinion lol. We sucked so bad last year, I need something to get hyped up about.

Joe Rocket and steddinotayto like this.
  12. Juxtaposed Jolt

Clearly not a true fan. You should be booking rooms for all 15 EC cities to show that you're a true fan and that you'd go wherever the Rockets go.

13. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I’ll admit it, I was one of the idiots wanting to parlay #23 and #24 into #13.

Glad I’m not the Rockets GM!!!

We really got STONED on draft night!! ;)

…….
    …….
    …….

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

Conversely, bad summer league play also doesn't mean a high draft pick will be a bust.

In Trae Young's SL games, he was complete garbage. Undersized dude who couldn't seem to do, in the SL, what he was drafted to do, all while having the pressure of having been traded for Doncic.

saleem and don grahamleone like this.
  15. 19bernardo87

19bernardo87 Member

I think the only good signal you get from SL is if a 2nd or 3rd year player plays poorly. Then he's likely on the way out.

saleem and Corrosion like this.
  16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'm here all day for the SL overreactions. Who gives a crap at this point? Yes we'll all likely eat crow in 5 years but we go through agony as Houston Sports fans. I FREAKING DESERVE to celebrate the Vegas Summer league like it's the GDamn World Series.

GotGame15 and Hippieloser like this.
  17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Best player to ever wear #13 in Houston.......that averaged 5.3 blocks in a preseason.

Xerobull likes this.
  19. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

From the white sands of Montego Bay, I haven’t been able to watch a game smdh! But I have been reading the posts during the game. Thank you all! Under reacting or over reacting I for one am excited about turning the page. It was coming at some point. Happy to start the rebuild with these guys!!

Kevooooo likes this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Should have just drafted Mobley and waited for 2025

vator likes this.