1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Outside the Box] Post Bosh Plan A - Get Josh Smith, Then Match Parsons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 11, 2014.

1. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

reminds me of the Lin attempted shot when he tried to bank it from the baseline.. i forgot the exact shot but it was in the playoffs..but it wasn't at the end of the game...in that both these shots were missed badly.

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

3. mockster

mockster Member

Josh smith would be fine. I think we all know he's not a superstar, but he is a good player when he plays right. He still can mature bit he is versatile and is defiantly a bigger athletic body as a defender. I think his contract is a little overpriced for the value but I'm not sure have to check

4. derp

derp Member

It was too much last season with the old cap number and rockets cap situation. This year it isn't looking too bad after Parsons received an offer for even more money.

He isn't a perfect fit, but he does fit better than anything else we have. I'd support this trade depending on how much we'd have to give. Ideally it would be 2 2nd founders AMD the lin/asik trade exceptions, but I doubt that's enough for SVG. Maybe last season you could of gotten him for nothing, but he already turned down one trade offer from the kings.

5. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I think Smith is out of the question, if we resign Parsons. Getting Smith would mean going over the tax apron. I could see Alexander going over the tax apron, but I have a difficult time seeing him do it for Smith. And I think it wouldn't be slightly over the apron, but about 8 million over the apron. That's a lot of tax to pay (and we'd loose the MLE next offseason). Smith is no Bosh.

The only reason for us to get him would be, if we believe we win the title with him. Personally I like Smith more than most others - but I don't believe he would put us over the top. Still, we could turn into a defensive powerhouse:

Beverly
    Ariza
    Parsons
    Smith
    Howard

Who is gonna score on that lineup? And even with Harden in there, Smith and Howard should protect the paint like no other duo in the NBA... hmm, maybe we should give it a try ;-)

6. derp

derp Member

My thoughts exactly. I also feel that this season coming up IS our best chance to win it all, but if we don't there still wouldn't be cap space next year anyway.

It's time to put all your chips out on the table and go for it.

7. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

While I get his offense isnt great, I sure as heck would rather have Smith guarding LMA or Blake come playoff time.

8. wadero

wadero Member

Why would bosh at 30 be a better fit than Josh Smith at 28? Getting Smith who is a really good friend of Howard would go a long way of replacing Parson who was Howard friend here with the Rockets?

9. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

I know this isn't the most popular of moves, but I would really like it. This is a team that still needs more toughness and defense.

As the fourth or fifth option on the floor offensively, the crazy shots could be minimized. As a driver and passer Smith is actually very good. He would fit into our transition game. More importantly, we'd have a defender at the 4.

10. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I think if we try to use one of Lin or Asiks contracts to trade for smith we won't be keeping parsons. Ariza + smith is $22m. Can't do that plus parsons at $15m

11. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

Another benefit of adding a rim protecting 4 like Josh Smith is it takes away some of the pressure to have that trait in a backup 5. You could in theory put Josh Smith on the court with D-Mo as a back up 5.

12. Rox>Mavs

I guess here's a question. Would you guys rather have smith at 13.5 or parsons at 15? We could fold the Asik trade to include Detroit and get smith back along with the nop pick.

13. eman

eman Contributing Member

Post-Ariza, can we afford all of Smith, Parsons, and Daniels?

14. Rox>Mavs

No too much against the hard cap

15. eman

eman Contributing Member

Thanks. We're in a fix. We can only hope Ariza will replicate his contract-year performance. Maybe we'd better match Parsons. Whatever happens, I hope we re-sign Daniels.

16. LikeMike

Sure we could - we'd just rival the Nets for most tax money paid. I don't believe Les would be willing to pay this much...

17. eman

eman Contributing Member

C'mon Les, look upon it as an investment.

18. derp

derp Member

I haven't had the chance to look at the math in the last couple days but of we could do it for Bosh we should be able to do it here also. Does anyone have a link for the cap hit math and order the deals would have to go down?

19. Rox>Mavs

Howard at 20.5
    Harden at 14.5
    Parsons at 15
    Smith at 13.5
    Ariza at 8.5
    Dmo + Jones at 4
    Bev at 1

That's $77m without Daniels and anyone else we sign with MLE, LLE, BAE to fill out the roster.

I think hard cap is around $81m? Seems too tight....

20. LikeMike

Is there even a hard cap? According to this site Brooklyn is at 90m payroll:

http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nba/2014/