1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Outside the Box] Post Bosh Plan A - Get Josh Smith, Then Match Parsons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hold up, I know what you think of Josh Smith. Bad shot selection, horrible FG%, etc. However, he is the best PF that we can realistically get if we can't get Love. Most of our other options are either RFAs (Bledsoe, Monroe), require trades (Love, Rondo), or old players that don't really fit (Deng, Gasol).

Reasons for Josh Smith:

1) Elite defender - Highest defensive win shares 2 years ago at 4.9, with defensive win shares of 5.1, 4.5, 4.9, and 4.5 his last 4 years in Atlanta. He was used as a SF in Detroit, which did NOT work, so I'd look at this past year as an aberration.

2) Athleticism - We are a heavy fast-break team and he's still only 28, so he'll be in his prime for at least 2 more years.

3) Versatility - He can sometimes slide in the SF spot.

4) Spacing - Yes, he didn't shoot 3s that well in his career. But who did he have in ATL and Detroit to give him wide open shots? If Chris Bosh can develop a 3 point shot, Smith can do the same. He doesn't need to shoot 40%; just 30%+ to at least be a threat to open up spacing.

5) Potential to Improve Efficiency - He took a LOT of bad jump shots. However, he'll be 4th option here, and Morey/McHale will preach only 3s and shots in the paint. This will improve his efficiency, so he'll actually be a positive contributor on offense in Houston.

6) Contract/Cap Situation - He signed a 4 year deal at $54 million last year. So, with 3 years and around $40 million left, it is an absolute steal in this market. We can get him and still match Parsons in time.

7) He's absolutely available (and basically free) - The Josh Smith experiment was an epic fail for Detroit. I bet they'll take a draft pick for us to take him off their hands.

8) We'll have room for Troy Daniels, still have Jones, and don't waste any other resources.

9) Trades in the future - Even if it doesn't work out, we can also trade him in the future along with other assets. He has positive value here. If Parsons can get $15 million+ and Hayward can get $16 million+, Smith at $13-14 million per is fantastic value.

Line up:

PG: Bev/Johnson/Cannon
    SG: Harden/Daniels
    SF: Parsons/some defender
    PF: Smith/Jones/D-Mo
    C: Dwight/Morey can work his magic here.

Bottom line: Josh Smith is easily available due to his bad year in Detroit and is a great fit for the Rockets.

#1 Medicine N Music, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    3 people like this.
  2. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

josh smith contract is hideous

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Josh Smith is great and he would be a great option

But, prepare to get flamed on by a bunch of dummies who hate him.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Can he be gotten?

Rocket River

5. mazinger

mazinger Member

[​IMG]

6. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

A lot of this is predicating on Smith developing skills he does not have while also not losing his athleticism. It seems a bit pie in the sky to me. There is nothing in Morey's MO that suggests Smith is on his radar at a contract like that.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

It is Parsons-esque, but not hideous.

8. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

how about greg monroe?

9. ziebarf

ziebarf Member

What's so hideous about his contract? Similar production to Parsons, similar money at 3/40..

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

No jump shot, no defense

11. basketballholic

IF...Detroit would give up 2 first round draft picks with Josh Smith...I'd have to consider it.

12. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

It's actually at least average, if not a steal in this market. 3 years left at $40 million with no player option.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

Never impressed with Josh Smith.

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yup but better this than watching Kevin Love laugh at us next season whenever we try to court him.

Too bad Morey won't even try since he doesn't fit into his statistical bull**** spectrum.

15. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

What skills does he need to develop? He will have a better 3 point % in Houston due to Howard and Harden, and better shot selection. If he only shoots 3s in practice, you'd think he can get it to at least 30%. We don't need him to shoot 5 threes a game. He just needs to be a threat and make WIDE-OPEN 3s. Also, it seems like he always got crap for his shot selection in Atlanta. Well, he was the 1st or 2nd option. Of course he needs to carry the team and shoot. He'll be the 4th option here, so all those dumb shots will be gone.

16. newAge_Rockets

I actually love this idea. Isn't Smith Howard's best friend too!!! I just think that the most important thing in a PF would be his defense against the other stud western conference guys. Smith can give you elite defense, and he fits in on our athletic team.

17. opticon

opticon Member

Maybe he has a resurgence like Z-bo. Did after he left the dumpster fire that was the knicks.

By the way is Greg Monroe Restricted.

18. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I dont know how i feel about this... I mean maybe if he got with Dwight his supposed friend he would get his stuff together.

If you would have asked me a year ago i would have been down, so why the hell not?

19. micah1j

micah1j Member

Smith is at even 14 million for the next 3 years. What assets would we trade? The TPEs and no players? He is very inefficient so it would be a desperation move. Detroit is already has tons of cap space.

Would prefer to try and get one of the 4 PGs Phoenix has, but I doubt they want anything we have.

20. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

Before reading the post, I was unsure of the idea.

Im all for it, the new contracts are RIDICULOUS, which makes his bearable.

He will really help on D and provide athleticism. And if we can get something to go along with him in a trade?

Yeah I'm on board.