1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Outside observations of the Jazz-Rockets series

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Champ06, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Outside observations of the Jazz-Rockets series
    The Salt Lake Tribune
    Article Last Updated: 04/20/2007 03:36:24 AM MDT

GEORGE KARL Denver coach
    "It seems like Utah, for me, would have a little bit of an edge because this team, Houston, has kind of a new team - as far as going into their first playoff series together. . . . It just seems like Utah is more playoff-ready. But it will probably be a long series. Which team has an advantage is a question that probably won't be answered until Game 5 or Game 6."

DEVEAN GEORGE Dallas guard
    "That's going to be a good series because of the matchup differences. You know, the Yao Ming thing. He's inside, but [Mehmet] Okur, he goes out. . . . Unless they're going to put Yao on Boozer. That's why it's going to be interesting - seeing how they will match up. But that's a real coin-flip series, if you ask me."

DEVIN HARRIS Dallas guard
    "Obviously, you have a team offensively that moves the ball extremely well in Utah. They have great shooters who space the floor. On the other side, you have superstars in Yao and T-Mac, who can pretty much take over games at any point in time. So you have a team effort on one side and more superstars - guys who can go one-on-one - on the other side."

JOSH HOWARD Dallas forward
    "The Rockets have Yao down low. They have T-Mac, of
    course. Houston has great role players, too. And the Jazz, they have Okur and Boozer and Williams. . . . Now that I think about it, though, the upside might be Utah. They have Matt Harpring coming off the bench, and you can't really name one guy who comes off the bench for the Rockets."

RAJA BELL Phoenix guard and former Jazzman
    "It should be a pretty interesting series. Both of them are kind of halfcourt teams. They both like to go inside a lot. So those similarities are going to make for an interesting series. Deron is probably the key for Utah. You've got Memo, Yao, Carlos - a lot of bigs who like to do their thing. So Deron is probably the X-factor."

SCOTT PADGETT Memphis forward who played for Utah and Houston
    "Houston has two big weapons - Yao and T-Mac - and everybody else plays off them. You know going into that series that you have to stop Yao and T-Mac, whereas Utah has more guys in their rotation that can hurt you. Obviously Carlos and Deron and Mehmet get theirs most nights. But they have five or six other guys that can come in and have big nights, too."
    "You know Jeff is going to have Houston prepared. He's going to know every freaking thing the Jazz do. It's going to come down to an execution thing, and if the Jazz execute like they do on most nights, they'll be tough even if [the Rockets] know what's coming because they have a lot of weapons. You can't focus on stopping just one or two guys when you play Utah."

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_5711574?source=rss

2. jordan_123

jordan_123 Member

thanks a lot

3. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Luther has the opportunity to change that...

...and no respect for our Howard?

4. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Man, I just really hate the Mavericks. :p

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I can name 3 guys who come off the bench for the Rockets. And all 3 have been major contributors this season.

6. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

well, yeah. how hard is it to remember luther head, juwon howard and dikembe mutombo?

i hope after the second round josh mcbeadyeyes knows full well who the bench players are.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Sounds like other players/coaches aren't as high on us as the media. Somehow, that's refreshing.

8. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Yeah, nobody in the league has heard of Mutombo, Howard, and Luther Head. Besides, our bench isn't that important because those are the only three guys on the bench that get minutes. :)

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

bottom line, shane has to step up.. play more agressively like shooting three's instead of passing it back to rafer and driving/posting up if he has a smaller defender like fisher on him..

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Am I wrong.. or is this the first playoff series this group of Jazz are playing together as well?? so how can they be more playoff ready than us.

I need one of those stats people, to tell me how many playoff games do the Jazz players have versus how many playoff games have the Rockets players had.

George Karl seems to be a little misinformed. Surprising when its to two teams in his conference.

11. chenglug

chenglug Contributing Member

i guess since it's the media from utah, those players have to say sth good about utah :rolleyes:

12. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Absolutely

13. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Mavericks are some cocky bastards considering their playoff record.

I hope Luther goes off against them!

14. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

JVG needs to post the comments from the Mavs players in the locker room before we play them.

God, I hate the Mavericks.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL, yes the Utah team, assembled three seasons ago, which has banked three straight trips to the lottery,really has a big advantage in being playoff ready. With Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer havinga combined ZERO games of playoff experience - the Rockets have a real gap to close. I hope they don't decide to forfeit because they're so nervous about going up against all those playoff tested veterans.

Karl is a douchewad, an overrated coach, and stupid to boot. Hopefully he will get fired again after the Nuggets flame out again.

16. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Hah. These comments are so obviously cherry-picked.

Houston going to the playoffs for the first time? Jazz more playoff ready? Dude -- you're supposed to be preparing your team for the playoffs, not laying around smoking dope.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

one more reason to hate josh howard. what a prick.

18. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

I really dislike Josh Howard a lot. I think he is the new NBA "villain" for me.

I wish the Rockets could activate Bob Sura for one game for the sole purpose of tackling him to the ground.

19. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

well the reason they're taking utah it seems like is that they're more well-rounded (which is true) while we're totally dependent on our superstars.

and teams nowadays are more well-rounded and don't have 2 superstars (mavs, suns, spurs, pistons...)

we just need to prove them wrong. they still don't respect us.

20. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Especially frikkin Howard. What a douchebag. Wish I had not read that.