1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Outrage at Mavs NBA 101 for Ladies

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ferrari77, Sep 2, 2016.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This, or something pretty close. I don't think the problem of today is that people are getting outraged all the time now or that they're able to express their outrage on twitter. Nor even that people get their feelings hurt when people get outraged on twitter about something they've done. It's that newspapers and thread starters think it's newsworthy that some random schmucks were outraged and people got their feelings hurt. Was some party insensitive? Was someone behaving irrationally? Is someone blowing everything all out of proportion? Probably, but I don't care and don't see why anyone should.

2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I'm offended that you take so lightly the fact that I'm offended by these women being offended.

1 person likes this.
  3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

For clarity of the argument, I'll notate group A as the Twitter outragers and group B as the people outraged at group A.

I fall more in line with Group B because I think Group A is able to cause more significant damage than Group B. If we use the Hula Lyft girl as an example of Group A, it's not a nonstory. There's a story there. She got the Lyft driver fired initially when everyone now sees she is in the wrong because her video was uploaded. The attitude of Group A has shifted employers to fire their employees anytime Group A presents the employer with any controversy. It's wrong and I wish more employers would stand by their employees unless their employee did a terminable offense.

Any time Group B raises a stink, at worst it's a minor inconvenience to read or hear about. Group A is definitely more dangerous and should be policed better.

4. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I absolutely hate the social media era.

By far one of the worst times to live in this country. Everyone has an opinion, which is great. Unfortunately the only ones that see to make it to the general public is the negative ones who seem to be offended no matter what.

This country is extreamly soft. Kids don't play outside any more, teenagers spend more time on ther phones texting and looking at social media then actually going out and being, well social.

It's no coincidence that 3/4 of the young ppl growing up will never own a house in there life, to busy worried about stuff that doesn't even remotely effect them. Who cares what the Dallas Mavericks do and in this case they did nothing wrong at all.

You don't always have to be PC in business/marketing.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's clearly patronizing behavior by 2016 social norms. And it got mocked on social media. So what?

It seems like you are more offended that somebody would mock it that than anybody originally seeing this.

The counter -anger that gets generated over people being offended by things like this often seems to outweigh the original offense.

Here's some advice - worry about yourself, stop getting so upset.

1 person likes this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, just look at how cc.net/cf.net has changed over the past decade or so. The social media is very conducive to mob mentality. It used to be that if you wanted to create a mob, you'd have to actually assemble people to a place. Now you just throw something out in the social media and there it is.

And because it is so convenient for people to voice opinions, it encourage them to talk before they think. No more nuances in arguments. Whenever you say something, you quickly get labeled, and thus get flamed.

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Right. People ARE given the tools and channels on social media to express. So people are going to express, a LOT. Regular people AND news outlets. Can't fault people for that. Especially when it IS something tacky like the Mavs promo

On this issue it is part-PC, but not SJW, not pure Feminism. Just regular snark crowd looking to snark on something

Semi-On Topic -

Its 2 sided its both the Objector AND the ENACTERS. Overall, I think it IS the Enacter PRETENTIOUSNESS of Progress thats the issue. I dont have much a problem with people TRULY believing something and speaking on it. SJW's even. Its the "BANDWAGONERS" to expressed sensitivities can be lame

(Ive been involved in wrist-slappy things where i blame the ENACTER more than the original objector, because ultimately RESPONSIBILITY falls on them to handle the issues correctly in how it affects people) I dont like Knee-Jerk "I'm not a typical jerk I'm a NICE person" thing, that comes off even more insufferable than the original complainers lol. Doing it because is Marketable

8. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

irrelevant. your ex might have been a bimbo

9. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Ah 2016 norms.
    I'm pretty sure I'm all good, I don't really have much to worry about personally. Just created this thread to see if others felt the backlash was unnecessary.
    I don't create numerous threads about some topic that people are outraged at. Just did with this one because I see the same thing re. outrage at various statements/topics/behavior, etc on social media and in the news almost every day.

Good to see some think the outrage over it was unnecessary and there are some that see the counter-outrage as unnecessary. It's all good.