1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Out of Touch Republicans have no idea how Google Works

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by larsv8, Dec 12, 2018.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...ceo-sundar-pichai_us_5c1007aae4b084b082fd892e

Not a legitimate political party.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

This probably needs to be run in the new senate with Hawley in charge. That these guys don't really know how this works is probably the biggest issue, because Google and Amazon in particular need anti-trust break ups more than the robber barons ever did.

ApolloRLB likes this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Upvote this picture of Hillary so it's the first result when you Google 'crook'.

Nook likes this.
  4. adoo

adoo Member

the most memorable part was.

Rep Steve King showing his iPhone to the Google CEO,
    "when my grand daughter type in my name,
    my photo comes up, accompanied by obscenities...."
    to which the Google CEO replied
    "Congressman, iPhone is made by another company"

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

and the right wingnuts want to mock a 28-yr old house freshman !

5. adoo

adoo Member

xxx

jcf likes this.
  6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

These are the people that decides issues like net neutrality, should I be coming up with new ideas on how to perform brain surgery?

#7 pirc1, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  7. Anticope

Anticope Member

The problem isn't even that these politicians are clueless when it comes to technology, that's always going to be a problem that exists on both sides of the aisle to a certain extent. The real problem is that you can see Trumpism and the whiny entitlement that comes with it trickling down to Republican politicians on Capitol Hill. This hearing was filled with House Republicans complaining about bias against them and acting like they're entitled to positive coverage (and positive Google search results) regardless of their actions and they've now taken to conjuring up ridiculous conspiracy theories like Google altering search results to negatively affect them.

It's truly insane. The normalization of bat sh** crazy conspiracy theories and the right labeling everything and everyone that they don't agree with as being consumed by bias and out to get them is dangerous and it's a problem that only seems to be getting worse and worse.

8. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Let's be fair here -- it's mostly an age thing. I don't think it's Republicans that are out of touch as much as it is old politicians that live in a bubble that are out of touch.

arkoe, No Worries and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know. My mother thinks they're idiots too.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd like to try that, haven't done an opt out before. pretty straightforward to do in google settings somewhere?

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Doubt they make it that easy to opt out. Check privacy / security setting.

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

actually I'm looking right now, supposedly you can opt out but the instructions I have are a year old, google's account pages have changed. I'll keep looking

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

turns out I had it turned off already

14. Buck Turgidson

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Sure,i don't really know anyone over 50 whose been in a senior role for an extended period that knows much about technology, pretty much everyone i deal with has their secretary, or pa, or ea or whatever title they want to give it, do all that work for them and can barely get that email thing.

And then once you're reaching what google does, you're now so many levels beyond the simple part that its going to come across silly.

But Google aren't secretive about their method, they call it "unbiasing", which is itself completely on ideological grounds and sounds orwellian because it is. Things that conservatives tend to believe are considered to be those things in need of unbiasing because see above, which is why republicans end up the way they do, and they seem to collate all these things as an amorphous collection (which is how for example, the creator of dilbert, ends up with photoshopped nazi images. and a deliberately misconstrued hit piece from a decade ago as his "top images")

It's not that there is some engineer doing it, it's the algorithm itself that is designed that way, but no one that was talking to them has the background to do this, which is why i think it needs to wait for the new senate, and Hawley (who alphabet have been busy trying to bring down) in particular. They need to be asked about unbiasing, and surrounding details, on the record, for everyone to see.

Deji McGever and Os Trigonum like this.
  16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Liberal media wont tell you that Speaker elect Ocasio once rode on a car and cant drive stick

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Might I suggest Rep Steve King as a potential patient?

pirc1 likes this.
  18. biff17

biff17 Member

Wait what?

The things you people come up with. My god!