1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Out of the Bat Cave for Five ......

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oeilpere, May 21, 2002.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

What are you saying ROCKET!!!!

2. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Francis3422,
    Lets just say PF/C is looking pretty good right now as is SF if we draft the guy we want (Thanks Jeeves!).

3. Sane

Sane Member

I think a simple/smart deal to do would be to send the #1, KT,and Moochie for Eddy Curry, Fizer and Crawford.

The Chicago can pick Ming and Williams. LOL, not very smart starting another dynasty....

Carry on.....

If we can get Garnett, and we could keep Francis and Griffin OR Mobley, then do the deal. Gut us of everything. Depth is not an issue when you have KG, Francis, and probably Mobley. Those guys all play 40 minutes a game anyway. We can sign 2 players with the MCE, draft in the second round, and trade one of our players for 2. I don't care if our PF/C comboe is Earl Boykins and Avery Johnson. GET KG!

If we get KG, we'll get MORE than a consolation prize in media attention. Imagine, KG AND FRANCIS?

4. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I agree, but we'd have to throw in Collier to make it work under the CBA. Besides, isn't it time for Chicago to start their next rebuilding program? Curry, Fizer, & Crawford are all veteran players now. Before you know it, their skills will be deteriorating & they'll be retiring. If Chicago trades them now, they can get some value for them. We could take great pleasure in helping Krause finally get the #1 overall pick. :D

5. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Pops-
    Just change your name to IMHO. This way you can just point to your moniker if someone questions you.:D

What about DUNCAN?

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

pops and ROCKET!!!:

Thanks for the update and posts. Do either one of you know how the Rockets feel about Nachbar??

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

If we don't pick Ming, then we better damn well

(a) get Caron Butler
    (b) get great value for that pick (sorry Lamar Odom, by himself is not great value..not even sure if Odom + Kandi is either).

Curry is intriguing, but I agree with NIKE in that EG will become the better player than Chandler.

Also, does either one of you know if the Grizzlies have been talking to CD/RT?

Thanks

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I ahev a draft proposal forthe Rockets, Draft Ming and let everyone else do what they want to.:rolleyes:

8. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Sounds like the Clippers really want the top pick.

If I'm CD I say, Fine, Elgin. But quit trying to sell me your garbage (a SF with two strikes and a C who's had only one good -- and not great -- season). Let's talk Elton Brand or let's not talk at all.

Look, both the Clips and the Rockets are desperate to crack the Western Conference top 8 for a ticket to the playoffs. We should just hand it to them on a platter?

Elton Brand or no deal. That would give us the "overload at one position" that Rocket!! spoke of...

Brand gives us a rebounding monster PF who does the dirty work and won't demand the ball. They throw in the #8 pick and we can take a pretty decent SF. We go to war with Cato, for now, but our rebounding and defense gets an upgrade with Brand and (knock wood) Caron Butler.

Waitaminit ... I'm supposed to be one of the Ming supporters ... :D

9. Bay Rock

Bay Rock Member

Thanks for the info Pop and Rocket!!!

I am soooo confused and conflicted.

My initial thoughts were that it would be best to trade the #1 pick for a stud, veteran SF like Odom and picks (#8 & #12 to possible land Borchardt or Marcus) or I would also be pleased with an Odom/Kandi or an Odom/Curry combo.

From a basketball perspective, I think this puts us further down the playoff/championship contender road.

However, from a marketing/business perspective, it appears that little can rival the boost that Yao will provide the Rockets both nationally and internationally. From a business perspective, Yao will have the same impact that Jordan provided the Wizards. More nationally televised games, more Jersey sales, more home and away sell-outs, plus you would think that the Rockets would serve as the NBA's ambassador for its expansion overseas.

(IMHO) While Yao's impact on the court may be a question mark, I think the financial impact that he will deliver to the Rockets will be hard to pass up. If I'm the owner of the Rockets, I take Yao and the financial windfall.

10. Timing

Timing Member

We get no direct money for being on national telecasts, jersey sales are divided up evenly throughout the league (actually I think the players get a big chunk of that), and I don't think we get a thing for selling out road games. The exposure might increase the value of the franchise but the Rockets historically only sell out at home when they win. I don't think Yao is going to change that trend in Houston. I think his economic impact on the team is overstated. If he's a great player he'll sell tickets and create a buzz, but so will any other great player.

11. NYKFan37

NYKFan37 Member

LOL, Please tell me what Layden offered? I want to know if he even tried this time, this is the same guy that Offered Larry Johnson and Glen Rice for Gary Payton

12. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

OP - Thanks so much far all you bring Clutch City.

I read this section 7 times and still a deep sinking feeling would not go away.

Kandi, MoT, Odom, 1999 Clipps = 15-67.

Why can't I get excited about Danny Fortson? Does he get alot of boards 'cause the Warriors can't shoot?

Is Butler really 6'7" and how well will he do in the Chicago Pre-draft camp?

Dunleavy?? At #3? Can we get an unprotected future first with him?

Why do I not like OP's choice of words in trading down for a utility forward?

The Rocks have the #1 pick and we're talking journeymen vets?

I truly hope this off season doesn't turn out as depressing as last. We need some low post presence and interior D... there are lots of SF's out there.

Sorry to be so negative, but I just don't see the Rocks getting out of the 1st round with Cato, Kandi or Curry at the 5.

OP - can you honestly say the Rocks prefer Curry to Ming? What has Curry done beyond 6 ppg?

13. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Manny,
    You rememeber???
    We are much closer to that than I ever thought we would be.

Primary focus has been on the complete package.
    #15 picks have been workouts and prelims only. Although, Fathers D and T always have a plan!

Last question.....
    No response, just refer to the first answer.

Just say, "Oh my God!" inside your head and move on.

To all,

I am so sick of hearing this MARKETING PERSPECTIVE CRAP when refering to Ming. What utter BS. All we are talking about here is an initial splash...maybe one full season of almost full seats. Nothing more. What was said about shirts and TV revenue is correct. We recieve a fraction of that.

You want MARKETING SALES? The solution is really easy...actually really hard! It takes one thing -

WINNING!!!!!

Being a native Houstonian, I can tell you in the land of sports apathy, only winning puts butts in seats. Quick splashes come and go. That is Houston sports in a nutshell.

NOTE: I am not getting down on Houston sports fans here. This is just the way it is here in Houston. There are many alternatives for entertainment when the sports teams are not doing well. eg. golf. We have more courses per square foot than any other city in the U.S. Hell, Just when I think I have played every one when I find another that I never even heard of.

Cities Like NY, Chicago, LA that have a tradition of losing or a storied history of winning can drive continual play for attention. Media is everything. Jeez, the Chronicle barely covers the Rox now with all this #1 pick euphoria going on.

The Marketing argument is BS! Les wants money, but he wants to

WIN!

That is marketing 101. Winning makes money!

Sorry about that all, but being in the business of making money and hearing about media coverage/fleeting vapor sales just hacks me off. The adages are true......

It takes money to make money!

Nothing beats success!

Okay.....No more soap box.

14. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

We would get to double-dip with Ming though.

One set of PJs and another new uni when we move into the new building!

I said it before, let's go back to the Red and Yellow color scheme. ;)

15. Bay Rock

Bay Rock Member

While you may dismiss the Marketing Perspective as Crap, I won't take your approach, instead, I will respectfully disagree.

Who can argue with Winning? It will definitely cure a lot of ills. No one wants the Rockets to win more than I do. But until then, Ming can help put butts in seats and back in front of TV sets.

The Rockets hired a new Marketing Director this year because the Marketing Perspective is Crap?

The Wizards are still a lottery team, but with the return of Jordan they were the talk of the L and sold out everywhere the went. Once again, Marketing.

Don't get me wrong, I want the Rockets to win now, but Ming is very valuable from a Marketing Perspective and hopefully from a basketball perspective.

16. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Go to Doc Rocket's Thread.

I do not know his sources but I trust his post because he posted it.

Cannot understand why I am getting completely different take on all of this as my people are deep ... but I bow to his scoop.

17. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Bay Rock,
    No slam on you was intended. If it read that way I apologize.

FYI
    The new marketing hire was because the old person got a new job elsewhere for more $$$$$.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wait a second!!!! this changes everything!!!! we've all been talking about how Ming jerseys would be a big hit in China...wouldn't they be a bigger hit if they were red and yellow??? YES!! let's go back to the old colors!! DRAFT MING IMMEDIATELY!!! Old colors! Old colors! Old colors! Old colors!! Woo hoo!!!

19. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Odom for #1 and another player? How arrogant. Does Baylor think he's dealing with Krause or something? That's laughable.

I'm with Manny. I want more than Odom/Kandi for the #1. You don't get the #1 every year, so we should milk this for all it's worth.

Here's what I'm beginning to think. I can live with Yao, but how many successful players have there been over 7'5''? I can live with picking him, but I think Butler/Gooden/Woods all may be better than him in the long run. Just my opinion. Also, I don't want an impact player 3 years from now, I want one now. Remember, our pick could most likely go to Memphis next year, no Lebron James or anything like that.

20. Bay Rock

Bay Rock Member

No Problem:)

Thanks for the info on the new marketing hire.