1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ousmane Cisse, Another high school player, Declares

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by SuperS32, Apr 19, 2001.

1. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

Check this out from ESPN.com:

Ousmane Cisse, a relentless power forward from Mali who spent the last two seasons at St. Jude High in Alabama, has officially joined Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler as prep players who will bypass college and head to the NBA.

Cisse is a 6-foot-8, 250-pounder who came to the United States prior to his sophomore season and had to sit out his junior campaign because of state association regulations. He played 21 games this season, including outplaying Chandler in a loss to the 7-footer's Dominguez High (Calif.) team in December, before injuring his knee and missing the rest of the season.

Cisse is a ferocious rebounder who averaged 29 points, 16 rebounds and 13 blocks per game this season, earning McDonald's All-American honors. However, an ankle injury prevented Cisse from playing in the prestigious All-Star game.

"It came down to trying to get a clear understanding of where he'd be projected," said attorney Don Jackson, who has been Cisse's guardian since arriving from Mali. "He was also taking a look at colleges and trying to decide whether he wanted to go in that direction."

Cisse has a physical build that would make most NBA players envious, but questions still surround his offensive game. He is a warrior who isn't afraid to mix it up and can block shots, and he also displayed an improved outside touch by leading the team in 3-pointers this past season at more than 40 percent.

"I'm going to work on my ballhandling and 3-point shooting," said Cisse, whose personal preference is to land with the Atlanta Hawks. "I can't believe how quickly this has all happened. I thought I'd go to college for two years."

The schools he was considering included Arkansas, Miami, North Carolina, Duke and Louisville, where his older brother, Daouda, was a freshman this past season. Indiana also entered the mix recently.

Now Cisse, who is projected to go in the middle to late first round of the NBA Draft, will get a chance to showcase his skills for a variety of teams with individual workouts beginning next month.

"I'm not nervous at all," said Cisse. "I know how hard I've worked and the hours that I've put in."

Cisse becomes the third high school player to declare for the June 27 draft. Others who may follow include Oak Hill Academy’s (Va.) DeSagana Diop, a 7-foot, 310-pound center from Senegal; Glynn Academy (Ga.) 6-foot-11 forward Kwame Brown, who has committed to Florida; and Camden High (N.J.) guard Dajuan Wagner, who has committed to Memphis but may still head straight to the pros. They have until May 13 to make their decisions.

"If the draft was today, Ousmane would probably go in the middle of the first round," said Jackson. "But the final decisions will depend on who else comes out and how he works out for teams. … I think this says a lot for the talent of this high school class."

Diop is expected to make his decision in the next couple of weeks.

"He's saying he's 60-40 in favor of the NBA right now," said Oak Hill coach Steve Smith. "He's leaning towards the NBA. Sagana's the best rebounder of the bunch. His offense is coming along. He's a shot blocker and is so big. They draft on potential, and he definitely has plenty of that."

He'll probably be a nice pick for the Rocks, especially if we can get him with a late 1st round pick. Otherwise, he'll be picked by someone else which would bump some more talented guys down to us.

------------------
    President of the Pete Chilcutt Fan Club.

2. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I think that Cisse would be an excellent pick with the Rockets late first rounder. He shot over 40 percent from the high school three point line so you know he has great range if he plays the power forward postion in the NBA. If he continues to work on his outside shot, like he says, he might even he able to be a big small forward. And rememeber this kid is only 18 years old, so in a couple of years he may give huge returns.

------------------

3. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

I f he was around with the last of our picks in the first round (22 or 25? depending on Orlando) if he was around. On another note, what ever happened to Oyediji (sp?), the nigerian kid drafted by Seattle?

------------------
    Calvin Murphy for President!

4. Francis3

Francis3 Member

He didnt play much but when Ewing went down and Baker. I remember watching him play couple games when he had minutes, he played really well. Rebounds really good and can block shots. If he can get the time and just learn more he can become a nice player.

------------------
    "Break off the block like Maurice Green" --- Steve Francis

President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

29 points, 16 rebounds and 13 blocks

No offense, but that stat line defines "animal". wow. [​IMG]

------------------
    Yugo grills, Yugo mills, Check out the oil my Yugo spills...

6. Live

Live Member

Just one word:

WHY?? [​IMG]

------------------

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, he was rebounding and blocking shots on high school players.

------------------
    President of the Anal Retentive School for Jerks

Hey, I wanted to be president of something, and I swear everyone took every other presidential position already.

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

at 6'8", he won't be blocking 13 shots per game in the NBA.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The 13 blocks means he's aggressive. The 16 rebounds means that he can be tenacious on the boards (but of course, not necessarily, especially with his height). That's all. Geez, it doesn't take Marty Blake to tell me he isn't going to average that in the NBA. [​IMG]

------------------
    Yugo grills, Yugo mills, Check out the oil my Yugo spills...

10. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

DOD's right, this guy gets after it. You'd have to show me comparable hs numbers by Mo Taylor to make me think less of this kid.

------------------
    women love me, fish fear me.

11. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

uhm, guys, is it just me...or is the guy injured way too much for a high schooler?

------------------
    Who's ya daddy?