1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our Player Contracts and Picks. (Team Status)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Broford, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Broford

Broford Member

Our picks this year

Sports Radio 610 mentioned that we have 4 picks this year, but that doesn't sound right. We have our own pick (which is swappable with the Knicks pick), and Phoenix's lottery-protected pick (which defaults to Orlando's if Suns don't make the playoffs). And apparently the Grizzlies sent us their own unprotected pick for this year (though I was under the impression that the Grizzlies didn't have their own first-rounder to trade this year). But where is pick #4 coming from? What am I missing?

2. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

2nd round.

3. mazinger

mazinger Member

They probably think we have NY's pick but we only have an option to swap. We don't own it.

4. Breaker

Breaker Member

Our 1st(swapping rights w/Knciks), Grizzlies 1st, Suns 1st, and LAC 2nd.

I thought we had 5 picks this year, our 2nd rounded must belong to SAC or NY then?

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Are we 100% the Memph pick is for this year? it Could be Phx Ours Clips 2nd our 2nd

6. Broford

Broford Member

Now I'm hearing that the Grizz 1st is a protected 2013 pick?

7. Mooch

Mooch Member

why do you think teams are just giving away picks this year. This years draft has to be one of the worst drafts of all time

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

But the more darts you have the better chance you have getting a bullseye. Never know what could happen.

9. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

I believe we have our pick, PHX or Orl's pick, and most likely swapping 2nd round picks with LAC.

10. Breaker

Breaker Member

You're right, I assumed that the MEM picks was this year. It's better off being next year, since I think the Grizzlies are probably going to be worst next year, and also the draft class in 2013 will most likely be stronger then the one in 2012.

Now that I remembered, we are supposed to get a 2nd rounder from SAC for J. Taylor. I think there are some requirements that he needs to meet for us to recieve it though.

11. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

The Memphis pick is lotto protected and we are never going to see the 2nd rounder from SAC. It is top 55 protected.

12. GAB_14

GAB_14 Member

YAO MING 17.7M
    KEVIN MARTIN 11.1M, 12M, 12.9M
    LUIS SCOLA 7.8M, 8.5M, 9.4M, 10.2M, 11M
    JARED JEFFRIES 6.9M
    KYLE LOWRY 5.8M, 5.7M, 5.7M, 6.2M
    BRAD MILLER 4.4M, 4.7M, 5.1M
    JORDAN HILL 2.7M, 2.8M, 3.6M(T), 4.8M(Q)
    TERRENCE WILLIAMS 2.2M, 2.3M, 3.1M(T), 4.3M(Q)
    CHUCK HAYES 2.3M
    PATRICK PATTERSON 1.8M, 1.9M, 2M(T), 3.1M(T), 4.3M(Q)
    COURTNEY LEE 1.4M, 2.2M, 3.2M(Q)
    CHASE BUDINGER 781K, 884K(T), 942K(T)
    GORAN DRAGIC 2M, 2.1M(T)
    HASHEEM THABEET 4.8M, 5.1M, 6.4M(T), 8.4(Q)

P - PLAYER OPTION (we have no player options)
    T - TEAM OPTION
    Q - QUALIFYING OFFER

picks for 2011
    Round 1
    Rockets or Knicks Pick - We could swap our pick for the knicks just as long as the knicks are not getting 1st pick. So if the knicks get to pick higher than us (which is unlikely :mad: ) we could swap ours.
    Suns Of Magic Pick - If the Suns make the playoffs, we get theirs. If they don't make the playoffs, we get Magics.
    Memphis Pick - Ok I'm not sure about this. someone please update on this. But If it's the 2011 pick, it is the jazz's pick that is top 14 protected.

Round 2
    Rockets or Clippers Pick - We could swap ours with the clippers if we wanted to.
    Grizzlies Pick - This is top 55 protected
    Kings Pick - Also top 55 protected. There are only 60 picks in a draft so the chances we get the kings or grizzles pick is low. And even if we do get them, what the hell we gonna draft with the 56th up picks.

Just wanted to comment on our roster and picks and their contracts.

Picks - I don't Know. I know we have 2 1st round picks, just not sure if the memphis 1st round pick is this year or in the future. We have 1 guarenteed 2nd round pick. So we could package our picks and get a higher pick. Or just use them in a poor draft class. To be honest, For us to get a good playesr it would have to be through trade or free agent signing, not drafting.
    Next Year - We'd be able to sign a top type of player for around 10M(If they ever choose houston, which only few do).
    Kevin Martin - That is a nice contract for a great player I think.
    Luis Scola - I hate this contract, he needs to be moved in the next few years, or we'd be stuck with a 30+ year old olddy who cant defend and i think will decline on offense after this season for 11M. :(
    Kyle Lowry - He'll continue to develop and will make his contract worth every penny.
    Brad Miller - Another contract I hate, Damb Adelman getting his buddy paid. He's a good player, but for 5M, OMG, fail.
    Terrence, Patrick, Lee - These guys are the future, and they have cheap contracts. We could keep these guys cheap for the next 3 years, but after that they'd want to get paid.
    Jordan Hill - This guy is not the future, get his ass out of here please, waste of bench.
    Chuck Hayes - Do we really want to resign this guy? or could we get someone better in the offseason.
    Chase Budinger - I feel sorry for this guy. I hope he doesn't pull a Aaron Brooks on us. He needs to get paid.
    Goran Dragic - If he does well, we could keep him next year for cheap. First Round Playoffs (Spurs vs. Houston - Dragic 4th quarter, 15 pts, 4 assists) I can see the future, LOL. :eek:
    Hasheem Thabeet - This guy can either turn into another Jordan Hill for us or Could become BIG. There is a reason he was 2nd pick. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. And if he doesn't do well, we could get rid of him after next year anyway.

This is my first post so please don't hate. When people hate something bad happens. haha. (Aaron Brooks), but sometimes something good happens (Terrence Williams), but he was wasn't hating, he was venting. LOL. Just don't hate K. Please comment your thoughts. I think Morey has done well even though most of the guys here are morey haters. I really think if we had a different coach, we could get more out of the players morey has brought together. I think Adelman needs to go after this season. I vote for morey to be coach. haha. just kidding. But we really need to get a young coach who would play our young players.

1 person likes this.
  13. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Hopefully with all the so called assets we have and all of those picks, Morey needs to make a move right before the draft or during the draft for an higher pick, at least top 10.

The moves Morey made today was a big disappointment because Morey had said that he gather a lot of good assets to set the Rockets up for a big trade this season but instead, he just got more assets. Sure the ROckets do indeed need size and they got it with Thabeet but the ROckets needed more of a star player than a big center that most likely would not crack Houston's rotation.

Basically all of the anticipation for this day to come hoping for a big splash that will change the face of this team has been a failure. Like Fran Blinebury said today on NBA TV, Houston is in his book, the trade deadline losers. Morey said he got all of these assets to set the Rockets up for a trade that would land them a star but they end up trading 2 good players for 2 role players and some 1st round picks that isn't lottery bound. Most likely those picks are mid to late teens.

Again, Morey made small transactions which put this team in the same position. The Rockets do have a couple of 1st round picks this season but non of those picks are projected to be top 10. Maybe this trade was to give more room to our younger players to develop but none of our young players have that high of ceiling.

The Rockets do need size. They got size in Thabeet but what good is that when Thabeet may be a big bust. He's long but his coordination is way off, he can't rebound, his offense is horrible, and he doesn't have bulk. He can be our presence in the paint but the Rockets can do a lot better than that and get someone with size that can actually play both ends of the floor. Before this trade the Rockets were mediocre and after this trade, they're still mediocre. Size or not, Chuck Hayes will still be our starting Center because he will still bring so much more on the court than Thabeet size can.

Goran Dragic on the other hand is very intriging. But again, he's just another good back up PG. Brooks isn't producing as well as he did last year but he is much more effective than Dragic is. But Dragic has some potential to his game.

At the end of the day, Morey failed to bring in the most important factor to this team, and that is a star player. Morey acquire all of these players in the first place to position them for the opportunity to do so but it didn't happen. The Rockets failed to trade Yao's expiring as well as JJ expiring. After all of this anticipation for this day to come, the Rockets came out with two more assets and a few low 1st round picks. Plus I highly doubt Morey can make a blockbuster move in the offseason for a star player. Best case senario, Morey would probably swap a player or two for another player with same value, like Ariza-Lee swap.

Hopefully Morey can somehow trade up the draft to the top 5 in the draft this summer or it will be another failure on the Rockets management. If the Rockets do not make a splash during the offseason or even drafting a young stud with incredibly high upside like Perry Jones, they will still be in the same cycle all over again next year where they will go into the season with no directions, no star, just a bunch of mediocre players trying to make the playoffs but end up short and get stuck with the 13th or 14th pick. If nothing happens this offseason, this will be the 3rd year in a row where they're basically stuck in the same position.

Right now, I am hoping Morey doesn't try to give Yao another shot at returning so he can try to build around Yao once more...Because of the Yao's situation, the Rockets have been stuck in this same position for 3 seasons (saying if they can't make a big move in the offseason). ROckets fans have been waiting since the beginning of last season. After todays deadline, Rockets fan still continue to wait hoping Morey will do something that will change the face of this team and direction of this team while teams across the league are making big moves everywhere. I hate to say it but even the Nets are in better position than us because they acquire a superstar and can actually go from that direction.

14. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Let's hope our aim is better than it was in '98.

15. Fierguard

Fierguard Contributing Member

My Perspective:

Contracts: The Miller, Scola, and Lowry contracts are partially guaranteed for the last year so they will be trade chips at the end of them. Much like Dampier was this year. If the new CBA is structured in that way. We have no idea about cap space and salary. Without a CBA Post June 30th is darkness.

Hayes. I disagree with not wanting to keep him. Chuck is a singular talent on this team now with Battier gone. He wants to play D, set screens, get boards. He wants to win and will leave it on the floor to do it. There might be more talented people in the NBA but few out work the Modesto Mauler.

I believe Yao will be back. He might not really play but I think he is going to give it a shot I expect a 3 year 10 million dollar deal for him. I bet he is worth more to the Rockets than that salary.

The draft... who knows... at this point I am not sure who will be there.

Fierguard

Bleed Red Rockets Red