1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our pick is protected in the top #4 this season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by elvis, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I do not see how the first point is related to the second one.

2. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

The question is who is going to have better record. Thunder or us? It could get close...lol. I am not used going through full rebuild but that is what's seems to be coming our way..sigh.

3. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Y'all are forgetting there is a lottery, and they changed the odds so that the absolutely worst teams don't have as much advantage anymore. Most years there is a team that jumps into the top 3.

Unless Silas shows flashes of being a great coach of willing players or at least 1 player (Wall, Oladipo, Wood, etc.) raises their game to be legit All-Stars in a stacked Western conference, this team will not make the playoffs.

So let's just see how things play out.

4. Nash

Nash Member

It may take a while til the new "culture" and the new style of play sinks in.. I'm prepared for the losing..

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Suuure

So you think they can go on 65 win place?
    Lol.
    Nope.

These guys aren't good.
    Exum is ikely to get injured- the whole point in getting him is that he expires.
    Just like Oladipo

Neither guy can shoot.
    Just like Wall

There will be no spacing, it is gonna be brutal. We aren't trying to win now. This is all about opening salary for the off-season and acquiring picks

Watch for Gordon to get ditched and Tucker to be sold

GottaHaveHeart likes this.
  6. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

We're already a bottom 5 team... we'll end up trading Dipo for picks before deadline to tank for the top 4 pick.

2 of the future picks we traded to OKC are also top 4 protected, the other pick swap is top 20.

Theoretically we can tank super hard the next 5 years and get a haul of potential stars back.

Let's just hope the lottery balls don't screw us over.

Rudyc281 and GottaHaveHeart like this.
  7. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

Lakers got multiple top 3 picks recently, Cleveland had multiple top picks after Lebron left, NOLA had the top pick after AD left. NBA needs to do the same for the Rockets. A little thank you for trying to compete against the Warriors and actually trying to build a contender while staying competitive?

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

fakers were slotted by the odds to get the 11th pick i believe, and magically ended up w/ the 4th pick in order to magically be able to consummate the AD trade

yeah, even w/ the worst record in the league i don't see b****ass silver wasting one of his top 4 picks on us

apollo33 likes this.
  9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Hi you seem to have a handle on the picks and the overall haul.

Can you confirm what? I see the reports yet I'm reading twitter bullet points..im not following.
    On the surface wall wood oladipo is not the worst trash pile and at same time both valuable pieces along with gordon.wall a ready to go pg and stock up since trading for wb.

So if lose wall and Gordon to trades before that when would the target team be? What year we talking?
    Thanks

10. Sanity2disChaos

We need to be discussing where Tucker is going and what can we get in return for him. He is that cheery on top we keep forgetting about!! Many teams would love to have him!

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I can see dipo and tucker being traded by the deadline or sooner to avoid more meaningless wins. go get that pick back!

12. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Well, the thing about this massive trade is we actually got back solid role players in Caris Lavert and Jarrett Allen but instead we gave them up for pennies to Pacers for an expiring Oladipo and Cavs for a late late first round pick from the Bucks. We could've potentially been a lower seeded playoff team with those 2 on our roster but judging by these moves, it just tells me Tilman wants to shed salary or blow this team up very soon so we can fully commit to a tank.

We're probably going to hold on trading EG and Wall until the off-season unless there are teams out there very interested in them for more first round picks. I'm fully expect us to blow this team up for picks in the off-season of 2021 this year ala OKC Thunder style. The only players we'll keep are the ones that fit our rebuild timeline (ones probably around 26yo or younger).

Now, the awkward part is this season our pick is actually owe to the Thunder but it's top 4 protected. We're currently a bottom 5 seed. Do we try to tank for a top 4 lottery? It would be very risky if we missed or do just let nature take its path? I don't see why we wouldn't try our luck since we're not gonna be very good after getting no good players back for Harden (Dipo already says he doesn't wanna play here, he wants to be traded to the Heat).

IBTL and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Will the heat trade herro?

I wanted herro and Robinson for harden.

But will take herro for dipo

RocketsFido likes this.
  14. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

One can only wish that happens. We have to take the offer from the highest bidder for Dipo but it'll be hard since he already said he only wants to play for the Heat.

If we can somehow get Herro back in a Dipo package it'd fit our rebuild timeline well. Herro really feels like the real deal, I've been watching him this season and he's so damn young, full of potential. It's hard to imagine Pat Riley giving him up. Also it's hard to match salaries since they'll likely want PJ as well, we'd have to find a 3rd team.