1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our PF and Rebounding

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coweye, Nov 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. coweye

coweye Member

Is it Asik, Parsons or sometimes the Rebounding of our Guards? I don't know but our PF barerly grabbing any Rebounds. OK we are 4th in the League when it comes down to Rebounding but we need a PF to grab minimum 8 Reb a game specially with all the great PF in the NBA. Parson wont grab double digit Rebounds every game like last night.
    Your thoughts?

2. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Patterson is SOFT.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Can't put a number on it like that because some games Asik can grab 15 and others 9. That being said, Pat needs to be more aggressive and active, which should result in more rebounds

4. pnr

pnr Member

Patterson averages 5 rebounds. Our guards are averaging close to that number..

5. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Why are we arbitrarily saying our PF needs to get 8 RPG when we're 4th in rebounding? Why is anyone even concerned about rebounding if we're 4th in rebounding?

Well, let me backtrack real quick. How are we doing on defensive rebounding? Are we giving up a lot of second chance points? Because Asik is a monster on the offensive glass, and that can inflate your overall rebounding numbers. I don't really know where to go to find those numbers, but I'd be interested in seeing how we're doing with defensive rebounding.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

My thoughts are that 8 rebounds in 48 minutes is different than 8 rebounds in 15 minutes. Also 8 rebounds in an uptempo team is different than 8 rebounds in a slow paced team. Finally, 8 rebounds on a team that makes a lot of shots is different than 8 rebounds on a team that doesn't make many shots. You need to think about your argument a little more.

You can win the championship without your PF grabbing 8 rebounds.

We rebound as a team against a team. If we are grabbing a good percentage of total available rebounds in a game, then it doesn't matter who is grabbing them. If we were struggling in the rebounding department, then yes we should look to our big men first - it seems to be working fine right now.

7. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Could be a position thing as well meaning in our offense he seems to always be 15 ft from the basket. He has some posting ability why the coaching staff never posts him up I don't know.

8. coweye

coweye Member

Since his Rookie year Pattersons average Rebounds rose just by 1.2 despite his playing time rose by nearly 15 minutes a game. In his first year he was much more aggressive on D overall.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You could argue Asik would be more fresh at the end of games, if he didn't have to rebound so much. It's great that he does, but maybe he feels too much pressure because Pat isn't that good of a rebounder. Some help wouldn't hurt. It's also about key moments in the game. Being a top rebounding team doesn't mean as much, if we're not getting that 1 or 2 rebounds in crunch time that can help us win.

1 person likes this.
  10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2013.html

We're currently 11th in defensive rebounding%, and we're 7th in offensive rebounding%.

11. prs325

prs325 Member

All i could say is that please help Asik rebound the ball. As great as he is in getting boards, Asik needs another consistent big to help him on the glass.

12. coweye

coweye Member

We have to face the Lakers next with Howard and Gasol under the Boards so Asik needs more help. It is not just Patterson who needs to step up. It is also Marcus Morris.

13. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Thanks, man! That's good stuff!

I have not been able to watch the games this year, but I have heard some observations that Patterson was not boxing out well. And even the coach made a comment to the same effect. At the same time, I haven't noticed MM or Greg Smith getting that many boards in recent box scores.

Asik's just a monster at rebounding grabbing up all the rebounds. That's my vote - blame Asik for the low PF rebounding numbers.

14. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

You can bring up all of the pints you want but the fact is that Patterson isn't rebounded the ball as well as he should and as much as we need him to.

15. yunac010

yunac010 Member

Asik might be a reason for Patterson's low rebounding numbers, but if you watch the games there are times where he barely even tries. It's like he's scared of contact or something.

16. Midixinormous

Midixinormous Member

The thing is Parsons is pretty much a PF playing SF, our PF this season have been Patterson and Morris neither of whom is known for great inside presence although Patterson is definitely capable of grabbing 8-10 a game.

17. laserguy183

laserguy183 Member

Rockets need a back to the basket PF to help space scoring. Also would make for some nice double pick and roll action. Kevin Love type of player would be perfect for this team, since he doesn't have to be in the paint to be effective.

18. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

gives you % breakdowns
    http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/team/_/stat/rebounds-per-game/sort/avgDefensiveRebounds

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't think he is. Morris is a better natural rebounder than Patterson.

20. wendzall

wendzall Member

i don't know about you guys but sometimes it seems like asik is such a rebounding machine that i've seen him fight off other rocket players to get the rebounds (couple of times even losing possession). i'm not suggesting his trying to pad his stats but that he's just a focused machine. curious if anyone has stats on pf rebounding when asik's sitting. i'm more concerned but the defense of both forwards than their rebounding.